Big East 2023-24 Season | The Boneyard

Big East 2023-24 Season

Reaction Score
Way too early to start this, perhaps, but why not get a jump on things? :cool: Let this be the place to discuss all things BE related for the 2023-24 season. I will update the OP with the full conference schedule and all applicable team links once we get closer to tip-off.

Thank you to @visitingcock for the suggestion.

Reaction Score

GEORGETOWN with a new black, female Head Coach: Tasha Butts. So
maybe Lauren BETT's Mom would be happy with that (did I hear she
thought Lauren might desire a Black/Female coach. ?? A lot of
variable here. I get the impression that the DEAL is done and Hailey Van Lith
and LB are just letting some water run under the bridge before
the announcement!! I know this thread is about BIG EAST, but I couldn't
get the Hailey Van Lith and LB stuff out of my head. SORRY
How about which new BE coach will have the most success?
I think Butler he has a year's head start and has already shown
that he has improved those BULLDOGS!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There are enough quality prospects out there to go around. I'm hoping these new head coaches can find their fair share, and help bring the level of play throughout the conference up to that of the P5 conferences. One day soon, I hope to read that The Big East is deemed the best conference outside of the P5 conferences. Find a reason(s) for the top prospects to want to go to a Big East school.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
UConn will completely dominate the Big East next year. I will be shocked if they do not run the table.

Villanova cannot help but take a big step back, obviously. Saint John`s and Marquette will lose a lot as well.

Creighton will return a veteran team and on a given night they could be trouble, but I don`t see them reaching a level that is much higher than where they were last season. I think they are already getting the most out of the talent they have.

Feels like some of the have-nots may actually be getting better though, especially Butler. So it could be a more competitive conference overall, but they will be playing for second place.

Reaction Score
While we play the waiting game for the 2023-24 schedules to come out, here's some older news from April that I missed.

Each Big East women’s basketball team will play 18 conference games instead of 20 next season. This means not all teams will play each other twice. [source]

Can't say I'm upset about this. Last year's schedule was pretty brutal trying to squeeze in so many conference games. Though I am curious to see which teams we'll only be playing once.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
While we play the waiting game for the 2023-24 schedules to come out, here's some older news from April that I missed.

Can't say I'm upset about this. Last year's schedule was pretty brutal trying to squeeze in so many conference games. Though I am curious to see which teams we'll only be playing once.
I'm sure Butler and Xavier will be the teams we play only once. When we had the same situation in the old BE, we still always played Notre Dame and Rutgers twice. Is it unfair, not to us since we fear nobody, and the league certainly will not avoid marque games to highlight the BE. Creighton, Villanova, Marquette, and DePaul will always be big games and we will always play them twice every year.

Reaction Score
I think the Big East is heading for a down year. Siegrist was one of the best non Uconn players to move on to the W, and DePaul and Seton Hall lost major stars in the portal. The rest of the conference has trouble recruiting more than just a few top 100 type prospects, and they don't seem to be a destination for top portal transfers either.

As long as that is the case, the gap between the Power 5 conferences and the Big East will remain large, but The Big East may well become a consistent best of the rest. It also remains to be seen how NIL affects the Big East. Some think it may result in the rich getting richer and decrease the competitive balance in Division 1 basketball. If players that are stars on pretty good teams in pretty good conferences can't get deals they will seek out the power conferences.

With the Big 12 and ACC talk, coaches in the Big East need to keep their ear to the ground because the competitive environment could change in a heartbeat with any significant realignment, but this year I don't think the rest of the Big East will be that good.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

This was done so Big East teams could schedule two more OOC games. Geno will try to get some tougher games scheduled in place of having to play two more games in the Big East.

Reaction Score
I’m wondering if this abbreviated schedule would be conference wide?
So EVERY team in the BE would be giving up 2 games within the conference and scheduling 2 more OOC games?
Would the replacement games reflect the same home/away scheduling as the games being replaced?
Example: If UCONN doesn’t schedule an away game against Xavier, would the replacement OOC game against Michigan take place in Ann Arbor?
For that matter, would ALL BE teams be giving up one home and one away conference game?
Maybe Creaghton would prefer to eliminate a trip from Omaha to Storrs.
Likewise, maybe Providence could do without the trip to Milwaukee to play Marquette.
Obviously, no one would want to lose a home game against one of the “marquee “ teams in the BE.
Revenue, exposure, prestige at stake.
Just curious what type of rules and framework the conference sages would establish.
Or would it be every team for themselves and anything goes?

Reaction Score
Paige was picked by ESPN as the favorite to win Conference POY.

IMG_0651.jpeg

Reaction Score
As I can't seem to edit my original top post, here is all the information I was able to compile about BE schedules.

UConn Big East Schedule 2023-24:
DateOpponentTimeTV Station
Mon., Dec. 18Butler7 p.m.SNY
Sun., Dec. 31Marquette1 p.m.SNY
Wed., Jan. 3at Creighton7 p.m.SNY
Sun., Jan. 7at Georgetown1:30 p.m.SNY
Wed., Jan. 10Providence6:30 p.m.SNY
Sat., Jan. 13at St. John's2 p.m.SNY
Wed., Jan. 17at Seton Hall8:30 p.m.SNY
Sat., Jan. 20Depaul2 p.m.SNY
Tues., Jan. 23at Marquette7 p.m.SNY
Wed., Jan. 31at Villanova6:30 p.m.SNY
Sun., Feb. 4St. John's3 p.m.CBSSN
Wed., Feb. 7Seton Hall7 p.m.SNY
Wed., Feb. 14at Xavier7 p.m.SNY
Fri., Feb. 16Georgetown7 p.m.SNY
Mon., Feb. 19CreightonNoonFOX
Sun., Feb. 25at DePaul6 p.m.CBSSN
Wed., Feb. 28Villanova7 p.m.SNY
Sat., March 2at Providence7 p.m.SNY

Other BE Schedules 2023-24:
National/Conference Pre-Season Rankings as of 10/17:
  • Butler (unranked / 8th)
  • Creighton (#22 / 3rd)
  • DePaul (unranked / 7th)
  • Georgetown (unranked / 8th)
  • Marquette (unranked / 4th)
  • Providence (unranked / 10th)
  • Seton Hall (unranked / 6th)
  • St. John's (unranked / 4th)
  • UConn (#2 / 1st)
  • Villanova (unranked / 2nd)
  • Xavier (unranked / 11th)

Notable Non-Conference Games (as of 10/17):
  • UConn plays NC State (11/12), #14 Maryland (11/16), #4 UCLA (11/24), #13 Texas (12/3), #16 UNC (12/10), #17 Louisville (12/16), #10 Notre Dame (1/27), #6 South Carolina (2/11)
  • Villanova plays Oregon State (11/12), Princeton (12/11)
  • Creighton plays South Dakota (11/10)
  • St. John's plays UCF (11/24), Yale (12/21)
  • Marquette plays #23 Illinois (11/11), Memphis (11/29)
  • Seton Hall plays Rutgers (11/15), ECU (11/22), Princeton (11/29)
  • DePaul plays #17 Louisville (11/12), South Dakota (11/18), Miami (12/8)
  • Georgetown plays Temple (11/9)
  • Butler plays Iowa State (11/6), Vanderbilt (12/7)
  • Providence plays Yale (12/9), #19 Baylor (12/20)
  • Xavier plays Temple (12/1), Arizona State (12/2), Cincinnati (12/10)
(Please note, "notable" games are based on my opinion from the gathering of opponent's pre-season ranking, recent tourney success, and being former ACC foes. And my own biases. This certainly isn't a definitive list! Also, apologies the last list isn't in alphabetical order. I got lazy.)

Reaction Score
Uconn may not get much in conference competition this year, but I am looking forward to seeing all the players get some time in the blowouts. Hopefully the regular rotation will be bigger than in recent years too, but with a big roster there will still be a number of players we can learn more about and give a little experience to at the tail end of easy wins, perhaps getting an idea of how their role could expand in future seasons.

Reaction Score
This season in the BE will be a seminar on how to run the league and win another BE title. My guess is in any blow-outs,Geno will pull the starting 5 in mid 3rd quarter and the Newbies will be given a chance to strut their stuff and show Geno what and who he has on the bench. I will really be looking forward to see that. As i said before , Uconn actually has TWO starting fives in this team.This team could turn out to be one of the best. I'm also assuming that Geno will see in their practices if what I just said is true and have some confidence that they will perform. GO HUSKIES!!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm being cautious to start the season. We had multiple Big East losses the last 2 season. I know much of that was due to injuries, but some of the better teams have learned how to play us. Yes, we have the best players and the best coaches, but I expect to have some close games this year. We will have some 40-point MOV games, but I think we will also have some MOVs of 5-15 points. I hope I'm wrong, but I foresee some close games. I'll know better after the first handful of games.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'm being cautious to start the season. We had multiple Big East losses the last 2 season. I know much of that was due to injuries, but some of the better teams have learned how to play us. Yes, we have the best players and the best coaches, but I expect to have some close games this year. We will have some 40-point MOV games, but I think we will also have some MOVs of 5-15 points. I hope I'm wrong, but I foresee some close games. I'll know better after the first handful of games.
Actually UConn only had one Big East loss in the 21-22 season and that was to Nova losing 69-72. The Huskies only had 6 players play with Azzi scoring 29 pts and CW scoring 24 pts. Aaliyah only scored 4 pts while playing less than 30 minutes and fouling out.

As for close Big East games, I don't see it happening unless UConn has another year of rash injuries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom