Big 1G Expansion will Push Schools to React | The Boneyard

Big 1G Expansion will Push Schools to React

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone really think the Big 1G has Maryland and Rutgers on the top of their list for expansion? I think they would like Maryland as they target 16 schools, but schools like Texas, Notre Dame, UNC, and UVa would probably rank higher. Now that the Big 1G has told the world they will expand, will schools raise their hand?

If Maryland does go to the Big 1G, will ACC schools look to move? If you believe that there will be 4 conferences of 16 schools, some schools may jump, especially if you think spots are going to be scarce.

Will ND commit to a conference now? Big 1G may be the best option. If the choices are PAC 12, SEC, Big 12, and Big 1G, ND is going to the Big 1G.

Will the SEC make their move to 16? I have never believed they want schools that are second fiddle in their own states like NC State, I think they would like schools like UNC, Texas, and Oklahoma and maybe VT.

What about the PAC 12? The only schools that make sense for them are the 4 Big 12 schools, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St.

Only 3 conferences are guaranteed survivors, SEC, Big 1G, and PAC 12. Big 12 is the leader in the clubhouse for the 4th conference. ACC, with small privates schools like Duke, Wake Forest, BC, Syracuse, and Miami really doesn't look like a winner.

It is out of UConn's hands and we can only sit back and watch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
B1G is one of the more annoying abbreviations in history but the league uses it. Yeah that looks just like 'Big'.

To answer your question. Yes, it seems pretty clear that the Big 10 wants Maryland.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Other than tv markets, the other benefit to adding those 2 schools may be that Delaney senses an upswing in their football programs while PSU is wounded and wants to take advantage of that opening in the east.

Reaction Score
Again, why is it that people feel Maryland is some magic domino to set off expansion? What exactly is different for anyone? In a conference that most feel is mediocre (the ACC), Maryland was no better than a middle of the road. If the ACC did add UConn to replace Maryland, is anything radically different? If the ACC does not really change, what changes for anyone else? If the SEC or Big 12 wanted to make moves, they could have done so already.

Reaction Score
The issue isn't Maryland is leaving the ACC per se as they are a mid tier football and basketball school, but they are a charter member of the ACC. The real issue is that the Big 1G is expanding and schools may be interested in defecting. Don't you think other schools beyond Maryland and Rutgers may be interested in joining the Big 1G? If UNC stepped up, don't you think the SEC would counter? What about Texas and ND? Georgia Tech is rumored to be interested in the Big 1G. Why? They see the hand writing on the wall if Maryland leaves as others may defect. Bottom line, Big 1G $ > ACC $.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the SEC or Big 12 wanted to make moves, they could have done so already.

Couldn't you say the same thing about the Big 10 before Maryland and Rutgers?

Reaction Score
Couldn't you say the same thing about the Big 10 before Maryland and Rutgers?
They started moving on Maryland once ND was off the table

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can see some the ACC football powers not being thrilled at the addition of another 'basketball school' FSU->Big 12

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can see some the ACC football powers not being thrilled at the addition of another 'basketball school' FSU->Big 12

I think FSU and Clemson are pretty happy with the new bowl and playoff structure. I don't see them giving up a clear shot to the Orange and easy path to the Playoff to bash their brains out in the Big 12 for an extra $3-5MM a year.

Reaction Score
About 3 years ago the last dream I had before I woke up was I was walking into Rentschler Field and we were going to play Nebraska. It was a sunny day and the atmosphere was nuts. The stadium was larger than it is right now and I was thinking how I never thought I'd live to see the day. At the time I wrote it off as wishful thinking. I hope I'm wrong and the dream was right. Go B1G.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
About 3 years ago the last dream I had before I woke up was I was walking into Rentschler Field and we were going to play Nebraska. It was a sunny day and the atmosphere was nuts. The stadium was larger than it is right now and I was thinking how I never thought I'd live to see the day. At the time I wrote it off as wishful thinking. I hope I'm wrong and the dream was right. Go B1G.
Call me nuts but that dream could have legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom