Big 12 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Did anyone catch the BIG 12 scores.

TAMU goes down to Kansas State 71-69 & Texas is down at home to Kansas by 6 with a minute to go!!!!!

Interesting!!!!

Conference Play is gonna shake things up!!! Cant wait!!!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Either the Big 12 is an extremely balanced league, or Texas and TAMU are way overrated :rolleyes:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Texas was down 20 at one point. Mounted a furious comeback, but fell short.

Big XII is extremely balanced...and mediocre other than Baylor.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Either the Big 12 is an extremely balanced league, or Texas and TAMU are way overrated :rolleyes:

Not sure!!! Kansas and KState have decent records (not sure who they have played). I do think that TAMU is ranked way too high. I dont consider the UCONN win over them that spectacular. We beat them by 30 sure but they were clearly over ranked. I was hoping this would be the year that GG brought Texas to the top of the Big 12, but not sure.

Time will tell.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Big XII is extremely balanced...and mediocre other than Baylor.

I just glanced at the Big 12 OOC schedules and - yum, yum, gotta love cupcakes.

Actually, it is probably almost impossible to know how good teams are in the abstract, as, for the most part, they didn't play any tough games. I'm going to guess that mediocre is right on.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
When is GG's contract in Austin up? I'm not sure how many bad losses like this she can afford. It's getting to be a real mystery why she can't come close to the success she had at Duke.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not sure!!! Kansas and KState have decent records (not sure who they have played). I do think that TAMU is ranked way too high. I dont consider the UCONN win over them that spectacular. We beat them by 30 sure but they were clearly over ranked. I was hoping this would be the year that GG brought Texas to the top of the Big 12, but not sure.

Time will tell.
Kansas' toughest opponent was Alabama - they lost. Only BCS wins - Wake Forest and Wisconsin, a middle of the packer and a really bad team.
K State lost to Hofstra, Purdue and UNLV. Best win was probably Iowa.

TAMU's schedule was more competetive, I wouldn't write them off although they aren't top 10. Texas is a bit more of an enigma.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
When is GG's contract in Austin up? I'm not sure how many bad losses like this she can afford. It's getting to be a real mystery why she can't come close to the success she had at Duke.
She signed a seven year deal in 2007. I expect she'll be given a chance to see what she can do with Peoples, Reed, Fussell, and Stafford when she arrives next year, but she's definitely skating on thin ice. So far, the only real claim to fame she has with respect to the Texas job was driving WCBB salaries up across the board.

I mean, she made WCBB at Duke. And sure she had a great vision to sell: terrific school, Duke's men's team was winning championships and she was going to do the same thing on the women's side, etc. But Texas has every natural advantage you'd want. Facilities are out of this world, and student-athletes generally get the best of everything. UT overall may not be Duke academically, but it has programs within the university that are absolutely top notch. Austin is about as great a college town as you could possibly hope for. Despite this, GG has failed to connect with high school coaches in Texas, and is also dealing with the first-mover advantage issues Baylor and A&M have enjoyed. Jody Conradt really did leave the cupboard bare for all her accomplishments back in the day (and periodic quality seasons subsequently).

The obvious question being who you'd replace her with. Texas has an infininite budget if they want to go that route. But no one they'd bring in would have close to the kind of track record GG had at Duke.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
She signed a seven year deal in 2007. I expect she'll be given a chance to see what she can do with Peoples, Reed, Fussell, and Stafford when she arrives next year, but she's definitely skating on thin ice. So far, the only real claim to fame she has with respect to the Texas job was driving WCBB salaries up across the board.

I mean, she made WCBB at Duke. And sure she had a great vision to sell: terrific school, Duke's men's team was winning championships and she was going to do the same thing on the women's side, etc. But Texas has every natural advantage you'd want. Facilities are out of this world, and student-athletes generally get the best of everything. UT overall may not be Duke academically, but it has programs within the university that are absolutely top notch. Austin is about as great a college town as you could possibly hope for. Despite this, GG has failed to connect with high school coaches in Texas, and is also dealing with the first-mover advantage issues Baylor and A&M have enjoyed. Jody Conradt really did leave the cupboard bare for all her accomplishments back in the day (and periodic quality seasons subsequently).

The obvious question being who you'd replace her with. Texas has an infininite budget if they want to go that route. But no one they'd bring in would have close to the kind of track record GG had at Duke.

My recollection is that at Duke, she was sucessfull recruiting nationally, basically getting kids from everywhere. So, yeah, she ought to have more success recruiting in Texas, but why can't she recruit as well nationally now?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a clear recruiting strategy from her regime. The focus has been on in-state recruiting, but with the exception of Cokie Reed, she hasn't brought in the cream of the crop. However, she scored big with Imani Stafford, so maybe that will be a sign of things to come.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As does Tennessee's. Doesn't really matter from Tennessee's perspective because they play an overall tough schedule anyway, though it's clear that the Texas win was not one to hang their hats on (which some of their faithful posited it might be).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My recollection is that at Duke, she was sucessfull recruiting nationally, basically getting kids from everywhere. So, yeah, she ought to have more success recruiting in Texas, but why can't she recruit as well nationally now?

Not surprised that she hasnt had the national recruiting success at Texas as she had at Duke. Very surprised at her relative lack of recruiting success within the state of Texas and the South Central part of the U.S. About national recruiting.... in my opinion, Duke, Stanford.. Tenn and UCONN are the only schools that consistently recruit on a national level. Perhaps Notre Dame.. havent really paid much attention to their roster in the past 15 years or so.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Not surprised that she hasnt had the national recruiting success at Texas as she had at Duke. Very surprised at her relative lack of recruiting success within the state of Texas and the South Central part of the U.S. About national recruiting.... in my opinion, Duke, Stanford.. Tenn and UCONN are the only schools that consistently recruit on a national level. Perhaps Notre Dame.. havent really paid much attention to their roster in the past 15 years or so.
For the record, I think if G made national recruiting a focus, she could be successful doing so at Texas. Texas is one of the easiest sells around. If Geno can get kids to come to the middle of nowhere, surely G could get some players too. I realize that obviously Geno has more to sell recruits in terms of the program itself, but I'm not suggesting G try to snag the top two recruits in the nation- just aggressively pursue girls in the top 30 nationally.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The culture in the Southwest is very different from the East Coast. If the Triangle were in the Deep South perhaps GG would have made a smoother transition to Texas but for a woman born and raised in the north (Michigan) who's spent most of her career on the East Coast - and one that's replacing a beloved legend - well, it's been a bumpy road, I hear.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Love the bio spin:

In four years on the Forty Acres, Goestenkors has put her nationally-acclaimed stamp on the Longhorns program, directing UT to four-consecutive NCAA Women's Basketball Championship appearances and demonstrating an unmatched proficiency for constructing title-contending programs.
Building upon the rich Texas Longhorns history, 'Coach G' has led UT into the NCAA postseason in every season of her tenure. UT's 25th appearance in the 2011 tournament tied the Longhorns for the third-most in NCAA history. Along the way, Goestenkors has put her own mark on the Texas tradition, showcasing talent-laden rosters that demonstrate the pride, passion and purpose of the Longhorns.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Love the bio spin:

In four years on the Forty Acres, Goestenkors has put her nationally-acclaimed stamp on the Longhorns program, directing UT to four-consecutive NCAA Women's Basketball Championship appearances and demonstrating an unmatched proficiency for constructing title-contending programs.
Building upon the rich Texas Longhorns history, 'Coach G' has led UT into the NCAA postseason in every season of her tenure. UT's 25th appearance in the 2011 tournament tied the Longhorns for the third-most in NCAA history. Along the way, Goestenkors has put her own mark on the Texas tradition, showcasing talent-laden rosters that demonstrate the pride, passion and purpose of the Longhorns.
Spin, that is like the revving of an Indy Car engine.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Love the bio spin:

So in other words, she's fielded one of the 64 best teams in the country during her four-season tenure on the 40. Brilliant.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
So in other words, she's fielded one of the 64 best teams in the country during her four-season tenure on the 40. Brilliant.
Yeah. Does not sound very much like "unmatched proficiency" to me. That blurb is really an embarrassment and is badly in need of a serious toning down.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I looked at Geno's bio. There are lots of (well deserved) superlatives there but I find it interesting that the bio starts off with his stats. They could have pretty much stopped after this:

(Seven National Championships: 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010)
All-Time: 771-124 (.861/26 yrs.)
UConn Record: 771-124(.861/25 yrs.)
NCAA Tournament: 81-16 (.835/24 yrs.)
BIG EAST Regular Season: 375-56 (.870/26 yrs.)
BIG EAST Tournament: 61-9 (.871/26 yrs.)
BIG EAST Overall: 436-65 (.870/26 yrs.)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think the Big 12 is very weak this year. TAMU is obviously overrated and Texas has been on the top 25 bubble for how long now? If they had any other coach other than GG I don't think they would hit the top 25. Some sports writers continue to believe that she is going to win no matter how poorly they perform.

Texas Tech may very well be the second best team in the conference. They are very fast and athletic and probably better that a lot of people realize.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The culture in the Southwest is very different from the East Coast. If the Triangle were in the Deep South perhaps GG would have made a smoother transition to Texas but for a woman born and raised in the north (Michigan) who's spent most of her career on the East Coast - and one that's replacing a beloved legend - well, it's been a bumpy road, I hear.

IMHO, GG has a aloofness that simply doesn't play well in Texas. She comes across as a bit cold. Look at the other coaches that are doing well...they all have that southern "charm" about them. Mulkey and Blair are both as country as a dozen eggs.

Maybe GG needs to fluff up her hair and wear some animal print jackets and practice saying "y'all."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
IMHO, GG has a aloofness that simply doesn't play well in Texas. She comes across as a bit cold. Look at the other coaches that are doing well...they all have that southern "charm" about them. Mulkey and Blair are both as country as a dozen eggs.

Maybe GG needs to fluff up her hair and wear some animal print jackets and practice saying "y'all."
That could well be part of it. Other theories are that she made her involvement with the Olympic team a priority over gladhanding with Texas HS coaches when she came aboard, that Clarissa Davis was upset about her dismissal and bad mouths Coach G at every opportunity, that Mickie DeMoss was just a poor hire at the time, or that there are lingering "lesbian program" issues that schools like A&M and Baylor don't have to deal with. Note: all of this is speculation and may or may not reflect my actual opinion on the matter.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
K State and Kansas beat these teams last year as well... so not so surprised by it, and by the looks of things Tech looks like a more mature team than last year, im quite worried about the Lubbock game every year now, with the history BG has made there two years ago. They play their best when it's against us, hopefully our girls don't feel as threatened as last year in Lubbock's hostile arena.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have heard before that there are players' parents who felt the program to be a bit too "female" dominated.

Ironically enough, I do believe that Sheryl Swoopes had at one time planned to play for Texas, or enrolled briefly, I cannot remember, but ended up at Texas Tech because she thought that UT was too lesbian-oriented. That was a long time ago so I will have to research the specifics of how that played out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom