Big 12 to meet with 17 teams and pick 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 to meet with 17 teams and pick 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lord kill me now? Did you not see the other 312 threads you could have posted this to. Being that it has already been posted...screw it. Whatever.....Head bang:eek::confused:

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
IMO they are doing all this to extract more money out of Fox and ESPN and will stay at 10. This is way to public and seems like a negotiation ploy.

BINGO, we have a winner!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 43s44 seconds ago
Why all the presentations? Told Big 12 feels if school expressed interest, deserves chance to make a case. Could help schools on bubble.

There is not a school in the 17 that could give the presentation we could (if done correctly). I'd feel better if Dooley was doing ours.
Dooley/Matt combo presentation would be my optimal pitch. Throw in some demographics, some history of success, academics, etc and interspace some videos 1) UConn the view from above, 2) Video of UConn football greatest moments, (we all could list the games, (ND, SC, maybe the WVU win, etc,) 3) videos of the tailgating at the Rent; 4) UConn Michgan State at MSG - UConn cheer 5) National Championship trophies.

We could generate one with material from the Boneyard that would kill any other candidate.

Reaction Score
It's already been reported that they've met with a number of schools. If this was true, why would you have this video conference deal? Makes about as much sense as a Rutgers a.d search.

Reaction Score
This looks like posturing. Either they know the two they want to take, or they're bluffing and don't want to take anybody.

Either way, not a great position for us. Based on nothing in particular, I feel like we have about a 10% chance of getting in -- a 50% chance they don't expand, and a 50% chance they expand by 2 in which there's a 20% chance they pick us. My wild guess at this point.

Reaction Score
Lord kill me now? Did you not see the other 312 threads you could have posted this to. Being that it has already been posted...screw it. Whatever.....Head bang:eek::confused:

Sorry, I didn't see another thread with a similar title and there are two many damn 55 page threads for me to try and sort it all out. When I posted it, the linked articles were all less than an hour old.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This looks like posturing. Either they know the two they want to take, or they're bluffing and don't want to take anybody.

Either way, not a great position for us. Based on nothing in particular, I feel like we have about a 10% chance of getting in -- a 50% chance they don't expand, and a 50% chance they expand by 2 in which there's a 20% chance they pick us. My wild guess at this point.

If you read Chuck Carlton's piece it is pretty clear that not expanding is all but off the table. They are going to at least 12. This is nothing more than a CYA move. It's like the rule in the NFL where you have to interview a minority coaching candidate, even if you know who you want. A bunch of schools expressed interest. They get to do a presentation. The Big12 isn't visiting all of them, and isn't actually considering all of them, but is doing this as a courtesy. Remember, these are university presidents...they are very much all in the same club.

Reaction Score
Dooley/Matt combo presentation would be my optimal pitch. Throw in some demographics, some history of success, academics, etc and interspace some videos 1) UConn the view from above, 2) Video of UConn football greatest moments, (we all could list the games, (ND, SC, maybe the WVU win, etc,) 3) videos of the tailgating at the Rent; 4) UConn Michgan State at MSG - UConn cheer 5) National Championship trophies.

We could generate one with material from the Boneyard that would kill any other candidate.

Need to address/minimize distance between schools

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
You almost have to wonder if ESPN (who it is now clear is very anti-expansion because they have a steal on the AAC) is, behind the scenes, pondering, or has threatened, a tortious interference claim against the B12 and this is the B12 creating further evidence that schools have come to them.

On an unrelated topic, I feel like Houston's presentation has one bullet noting that they almost sold out a game last year, and a big clip-art picture of the UT logo.

CL82

Reaction Score
Alternative view. Perhaps after looking at metrics the logical choice isn't the most popular? Could this be cover for blowing off Houston or Cinci?

CL82

Reaction Score
Need to address/minimize distance between schools
Yep, especially time to the Rent after wheels down which is what 15 minutes?

What you rather do spend 30 minutes longer in the air, or hour longer in a bus?

Reaction Score
You almost have to wonder if ESPN (who it is now clear is very anti-expansion because they have a steal on the AAC) is, behind the scenes, pondering, or has threatened, a tortious interference claim against the B12 and this is the B12 creating further evidence that schools have come to them.

On an unrelated topic, I feel like Houston's presentation has one bullet noting that they almost sold out a game last year, and a big clip-art picture of the UT logo.

Having the governor of Texas threaten to throw a very big and very public temper tantrum if you're not picked probably doesn't hurt either

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Alternative view. Perhaps after looking at metrics the logical choice isn't the most popular? Could this be cover for blowing off Houston or Cinci?

Well they need to do that if they take us...the fans won't understand it at all. But I suspect this gives them cover when they are drinking cocktails at some big function with the Presidents of CSU, Temple, ECU etc.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Having the governor of Texas threaten to throw a very big and very public temper tantrum if you're not picked probably doesn't hurt either

We don't have any way to know if that's true, or just CYA. I'm inclined to believe he carried the water by having his intern tweet for him and doesn't really care.

Reaction Score
1) Already visited the campuses of the top choices.

2) Video conference for EVERYONE (including your top choices) to CYA and not disrespect any of the schools involved.

They apparently visited UConn, so we're one of the finalists. Doesn't mean anything more than that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 43s44 seconds ago
Why all the presentations? Told Big 12 feels if school expressed interest, deserves chance to make a case. Could help schools on bubble.

There is not a school in the 17 that could give the presentation we could (if done correctly). I'd feel better if Dooley was doing ours.

As was said in other places, it takes some burden/guilt away from B12 if teams willingly come to them.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I didn't see another thread with a similar title and there are two many damn 55 page threads for me to try and sort it all out. When I posted it, the linked articles were all less than an hour old.

Also, dude, don't leave any old threads on the counter. Clean up after yourself and put any dishes you use in the dishwasher. Also, if someone has already opened a milk, please don't open another one. Lets work together guys!

Reaction Score
I had the same thought
why would they have to vet everyone to be fair? It's their conference, they can take anyone they want based on any criteria.

This is a dog and pony show for the networks, and not a very good one either. No one's going to believe you're seriously considering Temple or New Mexico, whether they get an interview or not

this whole process has been very strange.

Reaction Score
Smart ploy to have an open casting call...makes it more difficult to claim tortious intereference when they come to you.

Reaction Score

The best way to go about reading this board if you are new is click on the most recent page of the thread and work back 5-6 pages. That will give you the most relevant info and you'll be up to speed pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom