Big 12 Scheduling Mess - OU needs THREE games before Sept. | The Boneyard

Big 12 Scheduling Mess - OU needs THREE games before Sept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is what I've been talking about people, the big 12 is nightmare, and WVU is a clueless pawn.

http://newsok.com/realignment-has-t...-12-football-schedule/article/3641177/?page=2

According to this, the big 12 needs to put out a schedule by February 1 to meet it's broadcast network contract stipulations.

The arbitration b/w the big east and WVU - nonbinding - isn't even scheduled until Feb. 9.

The big east has every legal right to publish a schedule with West Virginia on it, and the big 12 does notm and the big east has very strong grounds to get an injunction for WVU for teh 2012 season to make it a violation of court order to leave the big east.

Oklahoma had THREE open dates to fill on their schedule by September.

Unbelievable.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can we drop someone and schedule a home and home with them?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Can we drop someone and schedule a home and home with them?
if wvu comes off i wouldn't mind getting a b12 team on there. it would show that this staff has some balls. heck i would be happy if our new ad can get wvu to a series of games in fball/bball/soccer/baseball...

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
“It's a problem,” Holder said. “It's more a problem for our fan base. People want to schedule weddings and make other plans relative to the football schedule. We get queries almost every day. It's disconcerting for a lot of people.”
WOW! A little bit different then the Northeast....

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Me and the lil lady are getting hitched on 11/24 this year... and we honestly did think (briefly) about how that would affect our UConn Football schedule. We scheduled the wedding anyway of course. But we may be making appropriate accomodations to make sure we can watch the game. :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
“It's a problem,” Holder said. “It's more a problem for our fan base. People want to schedule weddings and make other plans relative to the football schedule. We get queries almost every day. It's disconcerting for a lot of people.”
WOW! A little bit different then the Northeast....

Yes, most of the country in B1G, SEC and Big 12 country take their football schedules seriously and I know of several weddings that have been modified to account for big college games.

The Northeast is definitely different than several large portions of the country when it comes to college football.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
That's not really true. SEC country has NASCAR!

Reaction Score
I've told this story before but its so on point.

One late September I was at an LSU tailgate and a young woman in the group announced she was getting married. I asked if was imminent and she said " What? I'd NEVER think of getting married during football season"---to which every other woman in the crowd nodded and shouted strong agreement--"that would never happen down here"

So when I got back to Boston and was out to dinner with three other couples I recounted the story. Every woman at our table said the same thing--in loud judgmental unison--"What? Is she NUTS?!"

Reaction Score

One late September I was at an LSU tailgate and a young woman in the group announced she was getting married. I asked if was imminent and she said " What? I'd NEVER think of getting married during football season"---to which every other woman in the crowd nodded and shouted strong agreement--"that would never happen down here"

So when I got back to Boston and was out to dinner with three other couples I recounted the story. Every woman at our table said the same thing--in loud judgmental unison--"What? Is she NUTS?!"

Even if they wanted to get married during the season, every banquet facility in the region is probably closed on Saturdays from Labor Day to Thanksgiving.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Yes, this reflects my Boston wife exactly. She has some difficulty with the fact that I was born in the heart of Big XII (Big 8 then) country. Now, as I've aged, I sometimes agree with her. Missing a game is no big deal, and I even miss a UConn basketball game now and then. The biggest challenge is my daughter's school's big annual charity auction, which takes place, without fail, on the Saturday of final four weekend. I pray for an early game.

Reaction Score
As opposed to the entertainment mecca of Connecticut right?
There are infinitely more things to do in Connecticut and within a short drive, than the state of Alabama. Not to mention, when you live down there, there's only one team to follow, whereas here, there's about 15 within a 100 miles radius. You're lucky if you can catch a Braves or Hawks game on local TV in SEC country. Here, you're inundated with sports on local and national TV all of the time, many of which are local teams. This whole fascination with "OMG everyone in SEC country schedules their lives around football!!!!!" Well sure, it's not hard when that's the only thing you have to do, it's once a week on the same day, and you have no other teams you're following at the same time and are passionate about. Think about what a sports fan in CT has going on in September and October, in addition to college football. They're very likely following the playoff stretch run of the Yankees/Red Sox, or they're moping about the most recent flub by the Mets, the NFL season has just started, so there's the Giants, Jets, and Patriots, for those that follow the NHL, there's the Rangers, Bruins, and even some straggling Isles and Devils fans. Not to mention the beginning of the college basketball season. If you live in Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc., you have the college football team, and that's it beyond a few fans here and there of far away professional teams. It's a different climate, and the comparisons made are incongruous and stupid.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
As opposed to the entertainment mecca of Connecticut right?

Connecticut is blessed with dartboards and beer from neighboring states. Pity the poor southerners who have to make do with great looking girls, pool tables and beer from places like Colorado.

Reaction Score
There are infinitely more things to do in Connecticut and within a short drive, than the state of Alabama. Not to mention, when you live down there, there's only one team to follow, whereas here, there's about 15 within a 100 miles radius. You're lucky if you can catch a Braves or Hawks game on local TV in SEC country. Here, you're inundated with sports on local and national TV all of the time, many of which are local teams. This whole fascination with "OMG everyone in SEC country schedules their lives around football!!!!!" Well sure, it's not hard when that's the only thing you have to do, it's once a week on the same day, and you have no other teams you're following at the same time and are passionate about. Think about what a sports fan in CT has going on in September and October, in addition to college football. They're very likely following the playoff stretch run of the Yankees/Red Sox, or they're moping about the most recent flub by the Mets, the NFL season has just started, so there's the Giants, Jets, and Patriots, for those that follow the NHL, there's the Rangers, Bruins, and even some straggling Isles and Devils fans. Not to mention the beginning of the college basketball season. If you live in Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc., you have the college football team, and that's it beyond a few fans here and there of far away professional teams. It's a different climate, and the comparisons made are incongruous and stupid.

OK, that's Alabama. Not much going on there. I concede that. Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee, Texas, etc. all have pretty kick ass cities though that put whatever we have here to shame with the exception of NYC. And that's not CT. If you don't think that they know much more about partying in SEC and B12 country I'm not sure you've ever been there or at least not to the right places.

Honestly, I hate that there are so many pro-teams around because it means that CT will never get a pro team. To me, CT only has one local team. They are the Huskies. Everyone else represents somebody else's city or state but not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom