Big 12 Meeting Recap | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meeting Recap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think that article painted a little bit too much of a rosy picture for the Big 12. The Conference Championship Game was a no-brainer, but I don't buy a lot of assumptions made in the article about everything else.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's really great to be lumped together with Memphis, et al. as just another "mediocre" potential Big 12 addition by OU prez Boren.

If the author's numbers are correct, which they're probably not, then it seems his conclusion is that the B12 will use the mere threat of expansion as leverage to get their media rights deals sweetened. The premise is give us less additional money now so you won't have to spend more additional money later when we add some of these "mediocre" schools to the B12, at 250 million a pop.

I have never been a big fan of joining the B12 anyway, so this result may eventually turn out to be a blessing in disguise for us. I still think we should be focused on the B10, which is a far better fit for us in every sense.

Reaction Score
It's really great to be lumped together with Memphis, et al. as just another "mediocre" potential Big 12 addition by OU prez Boren.

If the author's numbers are correct, which they're probably not, then it seems his conclusion is that the B12 will use the mere threat of expansion as leverage to get their media rights deals sweetened. The premise is give us less additional money now so you won't have to spend more additional money later when we add some of these "mediocre" schools to the B12, at 250 million a pop.

I have never been a big fan of joining the B12 anyway, so this result may eventually turn out to be a blessing in disguise for us. I still think we should be focused on the B10, which is a far better fit for us in every sense.

Do you really think that there's anyone here who wouldn't prefer the Big Ten or ACC to the Big 12? Everyone knows that those are better fits in all ways except for the fact that neither league is expanding.

Reaction Score
They're going to get more money for the existing members, by waiving the pro rata portion of expansion in their contract. Whether we like it or not, whoever put that in their contract was brilliant. They will significantly close the revenue gap on the B1G/SEC.

They may add 2, to balance divisions, but I doubt even that.

Reaction Score
They're going to get more money for the existing members, by waiving the pro rata portion of expansion in their contract. Whether we like it or not, whoever put that in their contract was brilliant. They will significantly close the revenue gap on the B1G/SEC.

They may add 2, to balance divisions, but I doubt even that.

Agree about the brilliance of the pro rata expansion clause. Current members don't receive a haircut if they add marginal schools, negotiate a higher payout if they don't add teams, or negotiate a higher payout while adding a couple of marquee names and agreeing to waive the clause. Some attorney truly earned his/her fee with that gem.

Reaction Score
Agree about the brilliance of the pro rata expansion clause. Current members don't receive a haircut if they add marginal schools, negotiate a higher payout if they don't add teams, or negotiate a higher payout while adding a couple of marquee names and agreeing to waive the clause. Some attorney truly earned his/her fee with that gem.

Reaction Score
Here's my recap: I DETEST UT. I DETEST B12 and their AsWipe Leaders. And, most of all.........WVU earthworms should hang out in the hot sun for a while.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Do you really think that there's anyone here who wouldn't prefer the Big Ten or ACC to the Big 12? Everyone knows that those are better fits in all ways except for the fact that neither league is expanding.

Well, excuse me, but if we accept your premise that the B10 and ACC are not expanding, and we're not getting picked up by the B12, then that only leaves the SEC and the PAC12, two conferences I think we can all agree UCONN has less than an icicles chance in hell of joining. So, I guess our intrepid moderators ought to just shut down this particular forum right now since there's nothing else left to discuss or speculate about?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big 12 meetings can be summarized thusly:

Texas reminded everyone that it's their conference and everyone else is only there to salute....which they are now doing with vigor.

Texas rules, Oklahoma sulks and the rest are future members of the G5.

Reaction Score
Well, excuse me, but if we accept your premise that the B10 and ACC are not expanding, and we're not getting picked up by the B12, then that only leaves the SEC and the PAC12, two conferences I think we can all agree UCONN has less than an icicles chance in hell of joining. So, I guess our intrepid moderators ought to just shut down this particular forum right now since there's nothing else left to discuss or speculate about?

We are pretty screwed
They say it ain't over until the fat lady sings but I think I hear her warming up in the wings.
As far as this board's future it should be renamed the visitor discussion board.
So B1G, ACC ,B12 and any other fan have a neutral ground to rip each other .
A feature could be tweets that either don't mention or disparage UConn.
So basically we just changing the name.

Reaction Score
I believe something will happen. No one denies that the Big 12 would have been presented a difficult cultural and logistical situation for both sides. The ideal landing site would be the B1G, but looks unlikely as they also have to deal some weak sisters in their own group. Shake up will continue, however, as disparity in payout broadens. UConn does shine when compared to virtually all G-5 schools and many current P-5 schools. You don't have to be pollyanna to believe we'll end up in a suitable P-5 conference - sooner the better! The process needs to maintain momentum - do we have the right BOT to advance the process? My big concern is that there are a umber of empty suits on the BOT.

Reaction Score
I believe something will happen. No one denies that the Big 12 would have been presented a difficult cultural and logistical situation for both sides. The ideal landing site would be the B1G, but looks unlikely as they also have to deal some weak sisters in their own group. Shake up will continue, however, as disparity in payout broadens. UConn does shine when compared to virtually all G-5 schools and many current P-5 schools. You don't have to be pollyanna to believe we'll end up in a suitable P-5 conference - sooner the better! The process needs to maintain momentum - do we have the right BOT to advance the process? My big concern is that there are a umber of empty suits on the BOT.
The question I have is who picks the Chairman of the BOT? Who does the BOT answer to? Is being on the BOT a ceremonial position? I believe that some of the members were selected based on popularity rather than qualification. Just like CR I suppose.

Reaction Score
Here's my recap: I DETEST UT. I DETEST B12 and their AsWipe Leaders. And, most of all....WVU earthworms should hang out in the hot sun for a while.

I'm a Texas fan so I cannot entirely embrace your sentiment but strongly worded opinions like that always make me smile. I like it when a person knows what they think and aren't afraid to put it out there in no uncertain terms. For whatever it's worth, you get a "like" from me for that.

Reaction Score
He's bragging about gymnastics? Isn't that the thing where Will Ferrell twirls a ribbon and then jumps through a ring of fire in a mascot uniform.
Come on Boren your better than that

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
He's bragging about gymnastics? Isn't that the thing where Will Ferrell twirls a ribbon and then jumps through a ring of fire in a mascot uniform.
UConn winning national championships in womens' sports = meaningless; OU winning same = cause for celebration.

Reaction Score

MR. VIKING SIR:

YOU ARE 1000% WRONG about Boren!

He absolutely is not better than that! He's just another worthless tool who is all talk, or as my B12 friends would say: ALL HAT & NO CATTLE!"

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So Chuck Carton tweeted something about trying to find out from B12 sources what the absence of a conference network was going to do to various candidates' stock.

...aaaaaaaand bupkis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34