Big 12 Conference 23 years of WCBB | The Boneyard

Big 12 Conference 23 years of WCBB

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
5th up is the Big 12 which is the “newest of the P5, being founded in 1996-97 with the merger of the Big8 and Southwest Conference 4. This conference has 21 years of championship basketball but due to the rich history of the Big8 and SWC, some schools who have not fared well in this ’97-’19 era, actually have a rich history that I will add in a separate thread.

In the 23 years, the Big 12 has won 4 titles, led by Baylor’s 3 and Texas A&M’s 1. With Texas and Texas Tech, this conference boasted 4 title holders at one time, more than any other conference. That said this conference has been dominated by 3 teams with clear delineation between them and then huge gaps from these 3 to the rest of the conference. Baylor leads the way with 27 top 2 finishes (20 titles) out of 46 for a 58.7% top two success. They have finished 1st in 18 of the last 22 opportunities over the last 11 years. They also have one Runner-up finish in the 2017 Big12 Tournament. Mulkey has absolutely dominated this conference with a .753-win percentage. Next is Texas with 21 top 2 finishes, 7-1st places for a 45.7% rate and a .604-win percentage. 3rd on the list is Oklahoma and Sherri Coale. Sherry has been coach for as long as Oklahoma has been in the Big12 so this success is all hers with 16 top 2’s and 10 regular season or tournament titles. She also owns a .625-win percentage outpacing Gail and Karen from the Longhorns. Not sure if all this past success is enough to save her job when her current contract runs out but she did have some great years. Iowa State is 4th on this list with 6 top 2 finishes, which not remarkable in number except when you look back at what ISU was before Bill Fennelly took over in 1996, one year before the Big12. ISU was atrocious and attendance was pathetic. Now, this school is always in the top 5 in attendance with solid teams to boot. Kudos Bill. West Virginia tied with Texas Tech at 4 top 2 finishes but it has only been in the league for 7 years and shows a .563-win percentage and what a good coach Mike Carey is (which most of us from the Big East days knew).

For 16 years of it’s life in the Big12, Mizzou was dreadful with .326 win percentage and 0 top 2 finishes. Oklahoma State is also pretty pathetic historically in the Big12 with a .396 and TCU with .397 win percentage.

Overall, this conference is on the downswing of the P5s as only Baylor can boast any legitimacy. Texas is caught with a recruiter who can’t coach, Oklahoma has coach who lost her way, ISU for all it’s strong seasons is never a serious top 20 contender. That leaves WVU, which has struggled with injuries and defections coming and going so, to me, this conference needs some soul searching to gain solid footing.

Here is the data and as I said, I did look at the Big8 and Southwest Conference data so I have more robust backgrounds on all these schools.
1572411155518.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom