Big 12 and Pac-12 want CFP expanded to 8 now. | The Boneyard

Big 12 and Pac-12 want CFP expanded to 8 now.

Reaction Score
Depressing that the MAC gets some sort of a mention in that article. Proves again our situation is dire......

Reaction Score
It will happen, not this year obviously, but sometime in the future

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The dopes at ESPN have fallen right back into the old script. Four best teams (2 from the SEC + ND), add in a Clemson team that lost to Syracuse. It needs to go to 8 just to save the sport from itself. P5 champions, best G5, and 2 wildcards, not even ESPN could screw that up.

Reaction Score
The current format puts the BIG12 at a competitive disadvantage. It is being slowly starved of NFL-level talent as indicated by recent drafts. Other conferences can say to potential recruits "We make the CFP." So why would the B1G and the SEC want to do this? If (for example) the B1G has long term visions of adding some combination of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas (which I think it does) then the B1G would want to keep up the pressure. A continuing lack of success in the BIG12 encourages dissolution.

That said, and assuming that they do expand the CFP, then taking the top eight teams in the poll would essentially always assure that all P5 conferences were represented. The probability that at least one P5 champion would not be in the top eight is pretty small. That would solve the basic problem for the BIG12 and the PAC12, so there would be no need to have automatic qualifiers. A G5 representative that wasn't in the top 8 would certainly be seeded eighth and matched against the number one seed. That won't be a competitive game. I can see why the G5 would want it. I can't see why anyone else would want it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's all about the money. P5 will not expand the playoff unless they can control the revenue.

Most likely outcome is the Big 12 dissolving in a few years when the media rights expire. 8 or 9 of the ten teams will end up filling up the other 4 conferences to get to the 4, 16 team conferences. They will probably have their own playoffs just involving the 4 conferences thus keeping all of the revenue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The dopes at ESPN have fallen right back into the old script. Four best teams (2 from the SEC + ND), add in a Clemson team that lost to Syracuse. It needs to go to 8 just to save the sport from itself. P5 champions, best G5, and 2 wildcards, not even ESPN could screw that up.

Yeah those dopes at ESPN who don’t make the poll that hasn’t been released yet.

Only like 5 weeks before it matters!

Reaction Score
I predicted it would be 8 teams by 2016. Sorry.

It just makes way too much money to be ignored. It will go to 8 and eventually to 16. Just like the lower divisions.

Reaction Score
If it goes to 8, it could be 5 conf champs + best G5/Ind + 2 others.

Last year that would've meant:
#15 W Michigan* @ #1 Alabama*
# 7 Oklahoma* @ #2 Clemson*
#6 Michigan @ #3 Ohio St*
#5 Penn St @ #4 Washington*
(1st out:#8 Wisc, #9 USC)

In 2015:
#8 N Dame* @ #1 Clemson*
#7 Ohio St @ #2 Alabama*
#6 Stanford* @ #3 Michigan St *
#5 Iowa @ #4 Oklahoma*
(1st out: #9 Fla St)

In 2014:
#20 Boise St* @ #1 Alabama*
#7 Miss St @ #2 Oregon*
#6 TCU @ #3 Florida St*
#5 Baylor* @ #4 Ohio St*
(1st out: #8 Mich St)

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Lol, tell their teams to stop losing games. Washington got in, and was promptly obliterated. Oklahoma had the same happen to them.

Other than money, does anyone honestly believe a 2 loss 8th ranked team in the country deserves to play for the title? This isn't basketball.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I still believe 16 is the end game

I sure hope not. Would be a travesty to the sport. I really think 4 is best. Beyond that, you start getting into a bunch of 2 loss teams. Yuck.

#1 vs #16 would be am undefeated team vs a 3 or 4 loss team. An upset could happen, but that is not really fair to put the undefeated team through, IMO.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
16 is too many. Completely would ruin the regular season.

I'd agree, if it was guaranteed that an undefeated G5 team would automatically be included in the 8 team playoff. But quite frankly, I don't know if that's always going to be the case. That's my main issue with even an 8 team playoff system...

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd agree, if it was guaranteed that an undefeated G5 team would automatically be included in the 8 team playoff. But quite frankly, I don't know if that's always going to be the case. That's my main issue with sheen an 8 team playoff system...

The 5 P5 champs, a G5 and two at-larges would be fine with me.

The 1 generally gets a G5 which a lot of years would be like a bye.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
The 5 P5 champs, a G5 and two at-larges would be fine with me.

The 1 generally gets a G5 which a lot of years would be like a bye.

I would only be ok with this of there was a clause eliminating any automatic bid that would go to a team outside the Top 10. In other words, if a 4 loss team ranked 14th is the best a conference can put forth, their bid that year should be given to a more worthy team.

Maybe take just the Top 8, period, but guarantee that a Top 10 ranked G5 team gets in over a 2nd team from a P5 conf.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would only be ok with this of there was a clause eliminating any automatic bid that would go to a team outside the Top 10. In other words, if a 4 loss team ranked 14th is the best a conference can put forth, their bid that year should be given to a more worthy team.

Unless you get a huge upset in a CCG that doesn’t happen really.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Unless you get a huge upset in a CCG that doesn’t happen really.

Not typically, but it should never happen. The ACC had a few really bad teams win the league, and the UConn Fiesta Bowl team would have no business in a playoff. The ACC had a 6-6 team playing for the title recently, no?

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Yeah those dopes at ESPN who don’t make the poll that hasn’t been released yet.

Only like 5 weeks before it matters!

Yep, these things always seem to play themselves out. There really are no complaints thus far that the most deserving team hasn't had an opportunity with the 4 team playoff.

Houston would have been the best case, alas, they got Disco'd

Reaction Score
I saw some scuttle last year on going to 8 and I'm pretty sure there was consensus that 8 => end of conf champ games bc of scheduling.

As a result, I dont see 8 as a slamdunk.

And to get to 16, I think they'd have to give autobids to all conferences.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
The bowl games ruin the regular season.

No they dont. They are fun exhibition games for teams that had halfway decent seasons, and everyone sees them as such.

No one thinks a bid to the Potato Bowl cheapens the regular season. Now, those Potato Bowl teams playing in the playoff would be a different story.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The bowl games ruin the regular season.

Yeah the 68 team NCAA tourney has done wonders for tbe basketball regular season.

Will Monmouth get a bid over the 7th Big Ten team?!?!

Is 18-15 enough to get Texas in!?!?

Sport is ignored in 90% of the country until
March.

Let’s not kill CFB the same way? K, thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom