BiG 10 next year? | The Boneyard

BiG 10 next year?

Reaction Score
With all teams out of the NCAAs, what are the expectations next year?

• Maryland - Return 5 of top 6 + top 20 frosh. Back to the top I would assume.
  • Nebraska - Return 5 of top 6.
  • Iowa - Graduate 1 but top 4 scorers back.
  • Michigan - Lose 2 starters including star Flaherty, but everyone else back. +3 top 100 frosh.
  • Minn - Bell back but lose 3 of top 7.
  • Purdue - Lose 2nd leading scorer but rest of team young
  • Mich St - 7 of 10 players who avg 10+ mins return, including top scorer Colley
  • Indiana - Lose top 2 scorers but add ND transfer Patberg + Pitt transfer Wise
  • Ohio St - Complete rebuild. 5 of top 6 players grad. Fall way back to the pack.
  • Rutgers - 4 grads most notably Scaife, the only player in double figure scoring.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
With all teams out of the NCAAs, what are the expectations next year?

• Maryland - Return 5 of top 6 + top 20 frosh. Back to the top I would assume.
  • Nebraska - Return 5 of top 6.
  • Iowa - Graduate 1 but top 4 scorers back.
  • Michigan - Lose 2 starters including star Flaherty, but everyone else back. +3 top 100 frosh.
  • Minn - Bell back but lose 3 of top 7.
  • Purdue - Lose 2nd leading scorer but rest of team young
  • Mich St - 7 of 10 players who avg 10+ mins return, including top scorer Colley
  • Indiana - Lose top 2 scorers but add ND transfer Patberg + Pitt transfer Wise
  • Ohio St - Complete rebuild. 5 of top 6 players grad. Fall way back to the pack.
  • Rutgers - 4 grads most notably Scaife, the only player in double figure scoring.

Guessing Maryland will lead the pack. I'd expect them to be similar to this year's conference, maybe 1-2 top 15 teams and several in the 20-40 range. Many tournament bubble teams. I'm most curious to see if Ohio State will be a tournament team next year. Their best returning players are Calhoun (11.6ppg) and Waterman (3.5ppg). No one else played more than 10 mpg. They also only have 8 scholarship players on roster as far as I can tell. The 6 returning players and 2 incoming recruits (#61 recruit and one who isn't top 100).

Also curious if Wisconsin can make any strides or improvements. The program has been dreadful for almost 20 years now despite some (what appeared to be) really good hires, and they should be able to recruit well being a college town and right near Chicago. They recently lost both Sidney Cooks and Arike Ogunbowale who were in state players. Tsipis has his work cut out for him.

Reaction Score
With the possible exception of Maryland, I would vote for team(s) that are located in a geography with strong women's high school sports. I.e. Michigan or Michigan State. Put a strong coach in either and results will improve. Remainder of league ok but not great with few changes predicted.

Reaction Score
Guessing Maryland will lead the pack. I'd expect them to be similar to this year's conference, maybe 1-2 top 15 teams and several in the 20-40 range. Many tournament bubble teams. I'm most curious to see if Ohio State will be a tournament team next year. Their best returning players are Calhoun (11.6ppg) and Waterman (3.5ppg). No one else played more than 10 mpg. They also only have 8 scholarship players on roster as far as I can tell. The 6 returning players and 2 incoming recruits (#61 recruit and one who isn't top 100).

Ohio st also has a foreign player coming. I think they will be lucky to have a winning record. I’d compare them to UNC the last few years .

Reaction Score
Wasn't Replay Boothe's final 2 Ohio St and Texas? She would have been really needed at Ohio St.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Minnesota will be better than Michigan next year. Minnesota gets back Bell, Hubbard and Pitts. Michigan loses both Flaherty and Thome, who account for a huge part of their offense.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
With the possible exception of Maryland, I would vote for team(s) that are located in a geography with strong women's high school sports. I.e. Michigan or Michigan State. Put a strong coach in either and results will improve. Remainder of league ok but not great with few changes predicted.
Put a strong coach with an assistant that knows the local scene and can recruit well and then you have something.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you're talking about in Michigan. Kim Barnes-Arico has done a good job so far in Ann Arbor, and appears to be on the upswing.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ohio st also has a foreign player coming. I think they will be lucky to have a winning record. I’d compare them to UNC the last few years .
I agree that they will struggle next year to be above .500 especially with so many of the Big10 teams having significant contributors coming back.

Maryland (Brenda for all her quirks, knows how recruit and be relevent), Nebraska, Michigan and Minnesota seem to be solid and the last 3 are establishing good program platforms. Iowa is somewhat unknown to me but I know Gustafson is back so that's a pretty good starting point.

PSU, Purdue, Rutgers, MSU are all meh to me and seem to be in mediocreville at best.

Tpsis has in uphill battle there and is not having the impact he thought though it is only year 2.

For me, Northwestern needs to move on from that longtime coach.

My last comment is while Geno, Tara and Pat are the beacons of the WCBB game, their coaching trees are pretty lame. Tara has Charli Turner Thorne who has achieved fairly moderate success but other than that, meh...Now on the other hand, everyone's favorite target-Muffet McGraw does have a pretty impressive line of coaches who have gone on to good stuff.
Kevin McGuff-OSU, Jonathan Tpsis-Minn, Coquese Washington at PSU, all in the Big10 and Niele Ivey will be a P5 head coach somewhere soon.

I know some are going to come back with non-P5 names and even Carla Berube, who is easily the best of Geno's crew. Can she do it at a D1 school? To me, all the others are average at best and none are at P5 school so I am curious to say the least.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I think Maryland will be at the top. After that I could see any of Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota after that. Iowa lost a couple of starters at guard to ACL injuries and should get them back to go along with Megan Gustafson.

tOSU will be down as well as Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights lose Scaife who took about 20-30 shots per game and was their offense. I dont know if they have anyone coming in that can contribute.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The only way the B1G 10 actually improves and/or I give a spittoon is if they finally allow UConn into the fold.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom