OT - Bicycles | The Boneyard

OT - Bicycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
do you own one? What kind, where did you get it? How much did it cost? Do you use it for travel or exercise...?

Reaction Score
do you own one? What kind, where did you get it? How much did it cost? Do you use it for travel or exercise...?

I ride to work almost every day. It only takes 10 minutes, so I take a longer ride home. On the weekends some friends and I ride out of town.

I have several bikes. My every day and probably favorite bike is a Specialized Sirrus Elite. I bought it at a friend's bike shop for around $500.

Reaction Score

I have owned many bikes. I currently own three, all well maintained in great condition, used for exercise.
Cannondale, 18 speed, mountain bike w/ head shock, about 20 years old, aluminum, purchased, used, from friend
Fugi Finest, 10 speed, road bike, about 40 years old, steel alloy, bike shop, going out of business, Wilton, CT
Felt, 20 speed, road bike, about 4 years old, carbon, bike shop, Outdoor Sports, in Wilton, CT

I ride the road bikes more than the mountain bike these days, usually 10 to 30 mile loop depending on available time, along local river. I use the Fugi on Cycleops trainer in the winter.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I have a Dahon Mariner, a wee, unserious bike for home and on the boat.
But the one I love is my Beijing Electric bike for tootling far and wide around the city.

My wife won't let me bring it home so it's an incentive to come.

Reaction Score
have two trek bicycles,which i use for crittercise. older one is a trek multi-track 750 cross bike w/straight handlebar,20 yrs old,made in the usa! newer one is a trek 7.6 road bike w/a straight handlebar, 3 yrs. old. purchased the newer one at bicycles east, glastonbury,ct. friendly owners,that don't put pressure on you to make a purchase. would purchase another trek and from bicycles east in the future. about 130 or so rides a year. crittercise= leaving at the break of dawn,or earlier, going for a ride and looking for critters. the earlier the better, less vehicles to run you over.

Reaction Score
I have a trek 5200 from the early 90's. I use to ride frequently, even some centuries on the East End of Long Island. Now, it's mostly stored away.
This conversation might provide the impetus for me to dust it off.

Reaction Score
I enjoy riding on bike trails, many of which are converted rail trails- some great ones in CT! I looked and test drove bikes at bike shops, figured out the brakes, dérailleurs, style (as an older chick, I like a step thru, ie womens bike), did my homework and found the exact bike I wanted (for half the price of the bike shop) on line. Now the bike had to be assembled, taking several hours. If you are not experienced with bikes and dérailleurs, it would be worth while buying a bike at a good shop that will do adjustments and maintenance. Check out the Rails to Trails group on line. There are so many wonderful bike trails free of cars all over the country- we rode the C & O canal rail trail from Cumberland Maryland to Washington DC- 200 miles, rode 45 miles a day, stayed in B&B's along the way- history, nature and exercise all in one!

Reaction Score
I have a Trek hybrid that has been terrific. 24 speed. 7.3 FX. I love riding it to work on nice days. The rims are a bit sturdier than typical road bike, but not as thick as a mountain bike. They hold up to any potential bumps in the road, without creating too much friction that hampers speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom