OT: - Bicycle wheels (Road bike) | The Boneyard

OT: Bicycle wheels (Road bike)

Reaction Score
Well, it is off topic, but I'm getting a new to me titanium road bike and am wondering if I should try tubeless tires or just stick to inner tube ones. I've never had the tubeless- how well does sealant do with closing small holes? Do you just carry an extra outer tire for when large gash happens (probably this doesn't happen much)? I don't care about less weight, I just want to ride with minimum of interruptions but be able to handle situation when a flat does occur.
Also, the new bike has ROL wheelset (d'Huez), and normally I would be psyched as ROL wheels are supposed to be great. But I could swap them onto the road bike I still have (carbon Look), which has HED Ardennes wheels. Any opinion on which wheels to use- the ROL or the HED? The HED wheels are a little heavier but also have a wider rim. Not sure I can get 28mm tires on the bike, so I'm thinking I should go with the HED wheels, as 25mm wheels will seem wider on its rims.

Reaction Score
Tubeless is absolutely the way to go. Any small punctures will self seal without you even knowing it. Larger punctures can be plugged much quicker than replacing a tube. I've had good luck with Orangeseal.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
If you like to ride long distances or tour, I suggest tires with tubes.

Flats happen, even with the best of tires and sealants. If you have tubeless and carry one extra tire, you can have only one flat tire. If you have tires with tube, and you have a tube repair kit (weighs about 5 grams), and tire irons you can get lots of flats and keep going.

I tour, and have had 4 flats in one day on some bad roads with lots of glass.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom