best women's player in college basketball | The Boneyard

best women's player in college basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
If you wanted to start a new team in WCBB and could pick anyone currently playing to do so, I'd be surprised if there's a coach in the country who'd pick anyone not named Brittney Griner. Shocked, even.
Not me. I'd pick EDD.

Reaction Score
wouldn't it be interesting if baylor and delaware ran into each other in the tournament? i wonder if griner could stay out of foul trouble? i wonder if edd would be up to it physically?

Reaction Score
If you wanted to start a new team in WCBB and could pick anyone currently playing to do so, I'd be surprised if there's a coach in the country who'd pick anyone not named Brittney Griner. Shocked, even.

that doesn't necessarily make her the best basketball player, anymore than wilt was better than jerry west or " the big O".

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm also with Elena, mediocre team, mediocre coaching and she's carried them into and tonight confirmed a top 25 ranking

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Definitely not Diggins. She's good/very good but not at the top.

In the pre-season, I thought it was clearly Griner, with Nneka clearly second. Nneka looks even better than last year and has carried a highly ranked Cardinal team. They are close, sort of Nneka and Nneka. :) I think Elena has also upped her game. As noted in the thread, there is a differene of opinion. At this stage, it looks almost like a 3-way tie. Let's see what happens over the next 25-30 games.

As food for thought, there is a precocious freshman wearing THE number who could play her way into this group. A superior shooter, smart player, who rebounds and defends. Widely recognized as the best player in her class and one of the best in recent years, this 18 year-old has made all the experts say that she is even better than they thought. And they thought she was fabulous. Despite the unfair nature of the comparison and cautions from her coach, people liken her to the only 3-time Wade Award winner. Yikes!

Reaction Score
I would think the player who would be thought of as best would also play against the best, so in my view it would currently be B Griner, other quality players would follow. EDD plays against 3rd and 4th rate competition. It would be like me beating up my eight year old nephew and being considered better. Until EDD plays against the best she can not be considered the best.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That three-time Wade Award winner was also the BEast POY as a freshman. That's one accomplishment KML will probably not equal. Now granted, winning that award is easier or more difficult depending on the year, but still...

With respect to Griner, she's the only collegiate player in line for a spot on the Olympic team. I'm convinced she would have made mince meat of everyone Delaware has played, including Penn State, whereas I'm not convinced EDD could have put up the numbers Griner has against Tennessee and Baylor. Another way to think about it: if you could trade players in WCBB, imagine Baylor called UD offering a trade straight up, Giner for EDD or vice versa. I think UD would at least think about it, whereas Kim wouldn't consider it for a milisecond.

Thankfully, this is something that we'll get to see play out in a tournament setting, if not head-to-head, at least getting to see EDD against comparable competition.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
EDD and UD will likely play Maryland at the end of December. Both teams are in a two-day, 4-team tournament in College Park with the first day's winners and losers meeting on day 2. UD and Maryland should win their respective games on day 1.

Reaction Score
I would think the player who would be thought of as best would also play against the best, so in my view it would currently be B Griner, other quality players would follow. EDD plays against 3rd and 4th rate competition. It would be like me beating up my eight year old nephew and being considered better. Until EDD plays against the best she can not be considered the best.
Actually, Sagarin rates Delaware as the #1 toughest schedule in the country.

Reaction Score
I think if they had the choice between Delle Donne and Griner, they would think long and hard. More than few would pick Delle Donne. It is a tough choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom