Best UConn combo guard? | The Boneyard

Best UConn combo guard?

Reaction Score
Saw the recruiting thread on 2019 Al-Amir Dawes touted as a combo guard. Who would you say was our best combo guard, which I assume is double duty (point/2-guard).

I'm thinking Ben Gordon, although he primarily played the 2. I'm at a loss figuring out a perfect example of this definition, and who was our best player fitting this category. Maybe Chris Smith?

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Jalen would be a combo guard if the team was healthy, so Jalen.

Reaction Score
Combo guard is a weird term, Gordon gets labeled one just because he's short when he's really a shooting guard. Gordon really couldn't play the point for s^^t. I'll go with Smitty.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Dawes is more of a point guard than a combo guard.

Reaction Score
Earl Kelly and John Gwynn are high on my list. If you look at 99 squad, a guy wearing #42 filled that role. I give him the nod for his role in "shocking the world"

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Dyson , Super Tone, Boat

Kemba wasn’t a combo guard. He was a scoring point guard in a two point guard system.

Last edited:

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Saw the recruiting thread on 2019 Al-Amir Dawes touted as a combo guard. Who would you say was our best combo guard, which I assume is double duty (point/2-guard).

I'm thinking Ben Gordon, although he primarily played the 2. I'm at a loss figuring out a perfect example of this definition, and who was our best player fitting this category. Maybe Chris Smith?
You got it, it’s Gordon for sure.... Kemba is a scoring pg, BG fits combo better (maybeRip, but he’s more of a 3)

Reaction Score
To me combo guard as a term has lost popularity because it was always an insult. Not good enough handle to be a 1, not good enough shooter to or a 2. So the epitome of a 'combo guard' when I hear the term and think of UConn players is Tony Robertson.
Khalid - definitely a PG
Smitty - Scoring PG, played some 2 but mostly was our PG
Gwynn - 2 guard, 6th man, too small to be a combo guard
Sheffer - PG
Gordon - 2G
Earl Kelly - PG, SG (as frosh) - Earl played both but was good at both positions and to me a combo guard means someone that can't play either. So like Smitty Earl was good at both making him a scoring PG
Dyson was a combo guard

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think combo guards are different than scoring point guards. Kemba, Smith, Earl Kelly, Shabazz, KEA...all were scoring point guards. Gordon was called a combo guard but was mostly a SG. Playing two scoring PGs doesn't make one of them a combo guard.

So the question is really whether Gordon played enough PG to warrant the combo label? Looked up his 2004 stats and he averaged 18.5 and 4.5 assists. I think maybe he qualifies, but Taliek played a lot of minutes. If not, I think @Dogdeacon is probably correct with Tony Robertson.

Wow, we've had a lot of great scoring point guards, even before it was the norm.

Earl Kelly
Chris Smith
AJ Price
KEA
Doron Sheffer
Kemba Walker
Shabazz Napier
Maybe even Tate George. Scored more than most remember.

Reaction Score
Isn't the basic definition of a combo guard that he is primarily a "2" but also serves as a backup "1"? Smitty was a "combo" his frosh and soph years and then was a scoring PG. He had the ball in his hands, initiated the offense, etc. When Kemba and Bazz or Boat and Bazz were on the court, the off guard was playing the combo role. In those instances, I feel like it was always Bazz as the pure "1" but that was really more of the dual PG setup as they were more or less interchangeable. Same deal with KO and Sheffer for two years. Dyson ran very little PG from what I remember - we had Austrie as the backup PG and then Kemba during JD's time. TRob was most definitely a combo as was Ben.

So long story short... Our best combo guard was far and away Ben followed soph year Smitty then TRob. I feel like everyone else mentioned was distinctly a 1 or 2.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's Walker. Kemba started at the point in 2010-11 and shifted to the 2 when Napier came in, virtually every time.

Ricky Moore would be my choice for 2nd best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom