Best UConn “Jaws of Defeat” Win? | The Boneyard

Best UConn “Jaws of Defeat” Win?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I am wondering what game the insightful BY feels is the best come-from-behind win in the Geno era of UConn WBB history. Now, that recent game against ND wasn’t bad, but I’d guess there might be better examples.

Multiple selections? Sure. But if you go that route, then please rank them.

This could be fun!

Reaction Score
I am wondering what game the insightful BY feels is the best come-from-behind win in the Geno era of UConn WBB history. Now, that recent game against ND wasn’t bad, but I’d guess there might be better examples.

This could be fun!

Best? You had the Maya steal vs DePaul. And the DT 3 vs Tennessee. I'm sure some of the final fours and championships - and Big East championships also.

Reaction Score
Easy choice for me.

2003 Final 4 against Texas. They had physically beaten us up for 34 minutes and built an 11 point 2nd half lead. We looked cooked. And out of nowhere a burst of energy from Willnet Crockett and with help from Taurasi we found a way to win the game 71-69. And of course we went on to win the championship. So yeah. That was a pretty big Jaws of defeat win.

Reaction Score
Easy choice for me.

2003 Final 4 against Texas. They had physically beaten us up for 34 minutes and built an 11 point 2nd half lead. We looked cooked. And out of nowhere a burst of energy from Willnet Crockett and with help from Taurasi we found a way to win the game 71-69. And of course we went on to win the championship. So yeah. That was a pretty big Jaws of defeat win.

I remember the one handed forty foot rocket DT threw from way above the key with about five minutes left as the wake up call. I've seen mostly UConn games but do try to watch as many others as I can and in all of those I don't think I've ever seen another woman whip those one handers the way she did at college level.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Easy choice for me.

That was the one that stuck out to me too. But the Stanford 'first one to fifty wins' NC game was pretty huge as well. And the first NC game against TN with an eight point ? deficit in the first half and serious foul trouble. In terms of importance that was probably the most impactful.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The BET championship game vs. ND when Sue Bird made the shot that sent it into OT and we pulled it out. We were well on our way to losing that game. Sue put the team on her back and willed us to victory.

Reaction Score
Easy choice for me.

Coincidentally, that was Geno's 500th win. How timely. :)

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Easy choice for me.

^^^
This, probably more so because we were at that game! It really was a slug fest. Now that you have me thinking about it, I have to find the game online and watch it again!

Reaction Score
The 1999 NCAA second round win over Xavier at Gampel. If I remember correctly, a freshman Tamika Williams saved us.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Bart: that win over Xavier was waaay overly tight....and the next weekend we lost to Iowa State in the sweet 16....thread elsewhere on that. Injuries abounded in that season.

In that Texas game I remember a quote from Geno after the game where he told the team in the last 6 minutes or so basically:

If you have an open lay-up...shoot. Otherwise be sure that Dee touches the ball in every possession.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Bart!!!! Where the hell have you been, lad?

Reaction Score

This could be fun!
Second half

This could be fun!

This could be fun!
April 2, 1995. Deep into the second half. Trailing. Foul trouble. Rebecca Lobo, Jen Rizzotti, and Jamelle were heroic.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
2003 semi-final vs. Texas. (Was it also 2003 when D hit the 3 with about five seconds left in Hartford to tie Tennessee? This was also the game where she hit the 70 foot shot at the first half buzzer, if I remember correctly.)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Some games that come to mind:
1995 Championship-Tennessee was in control most of the game until the Rizzotti layup.

2011 Baylor-Baylor had taken a solid lead in the 2nd half and Hartley/Moore made some big plays to save the game

2006 Sweet 16-I don't remember if Georgia was in the lead most of the game or they just had the lead late, but it was a heck of a game and Connecticut needed last minute heroics to pull off the win at home.

2008 at LSU-UCONN trailed most of the way before going on a surge at the end to win it.

2008 at DePaul-late surge at the end to win

2008 Elite 8 vs. Rutgers-down by 14 in the first and didn't take the lead until 6 minutes to go. Was neck and neck until the last 2 minutes.

2003 Final Four-as mentioned by others

2003 vs. Tennessee-IIRC, they were down the entire 2nd half and didn't tie until DT's heroics to force OT.

Reaction Score
Easy choice for me.

Down 9 in the fourth quarter of a grind-it-out game, I thought we were dead ducks.

Given that this was a final four game, it has to be number one with me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
March 2011, against Georgetown in the Philly Regional. Monica McNutt and Sugar Rogers were unstoppable for much of the game. Then the seniors took over.

"Me and Maya decided we didn't want our careers to end here today," Dixon said. "That's just a great feeling. I think everyone wanted to continue the tournament."

While Moore put up the numbers, Dixon was the catalyst for the game-changing run.

Connecticut trailed 53-46 with 9:36 left, but responded with a 16-2 run sparked by the 5-foot-4 guard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom