• Marie Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Clair Dunphy, Modern Family

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One thing about this thread... it just reinforces how good TV used to be in the good old days...( well the 1980s..) Outside of Sports, the News, PBS and food shows... I dont watch much TV. I think the last compelling show that I watched regularly was the first few seasons of America's Next Top Model :eek:

The Golden Age of TV could get its own thread. -

Triad, you missed a lot of good TV back in the day. Good TV is subjective. We all have our own ideas of what's good (story lines) and what isn't. The TV western "Gunsmoke" with James Arness (with Doc, Kitty and Chester) was extremely popular back then and ran for 20 years. The technology alone that was available then is supremely inferior to the technology used today. Words that are used today as well as subject matter was not freely used in the early days of radio and TV.

When Clark Gable uttered that famous line in Gone with the Wind (1939): " Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn", it shocked theater audiences and the media at the time. There were TV and motion picture sensors that would not allow some words to be used in a script. The moral fiber of the country was higher and tighter back then.

Those of us old enough to remember the good old days of TV in it's infancy in the late 40's and early 1950's had our favorite shows. They were broadcast in analog, the picture was fuzzy and in black & white. Most of the early TV's back then were 15" tube TV's that required a set of "rabbit ears" to function.

In the United States, the current Golden Age of Television has been a period widely regarded as being marked by a large number of high quality, internationally acclaimed television programs. ... Television programming has had a huge impact on American and world culture. Many critics have dubbed the 1950s as the Golden Age of Television. TV sets were expensive and so the audience was generally affluent. ... During the 50s, quiz shows became popular until a scandal erupted.

Its name refers to the original Golden Age of Television which occurred in the 1950s.

Television during the 1950s and 60s - Wessel's Living History Farm
Television during the 1950s and 60s

The drive for TV was started in conjunction with the opening of the World's Fair in New York City in the spring of 1939. Regularly scheduled television programming was born on April 30 when NBC cameras televised President Franklin D. Roosevelt officially opening the fair, and Sarnoff announcing "the birth in this country of a new art so important in its implications that it is bound to affect all society. Until this date telecasting had been confined to a few experimental hours per week. Very few households had a TV set in 1939.

KTLA - On January 22, 1947, the station was licensed for commercial broadcasting as KTLA on channel 5, becoming the first commercial television station in Los Angeles, the first to broadcast west of the Mississippi River, and the eighth commercial television station in the United States.
First air date‎: ‎January 22, 1947 (72 years ago)

History · ‎Digital television · ‎Programming · ‎News operation
Golden Age of Television (2000s–present) - Wikipedia

Sorry for busting the thread, I got carried away. :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Caroline Ingalls (Karen Grassle) in "Little House on the Prairie"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gag, how could I slight her so, for so long. Yvonne DeCarlo a/k/a Mrs. Munster, a/k/a Lily.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Not sure if Gilmore Girls is considered comedic enough, but Lorelai Gilmore would get my vote. Single Mom at 16, builds a successful respected career on her own, raises what the show constantly alleges is the favored daughter of the town. Plus, well, she's pretty easy on the eyes.

Though, having said that, I am not sure if there is a more Pollyanna character (alleged) that makes more horrendous mistakes than daughter Rory Gilmore.

Reaction Score
Write in Candidate

Attachments

• Elyse Keaton.png
    Elyse Keaton.png
    791.1 KB · Views: 10
Reaction Score
She even let Urkel live with them in the later seasons.
J.J. Evens was much more obnoxious than Urkel. Urkel was just strange and kind of a pest,.But as for J.J. even his sister couldn't stand him.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Lots of moms...in no particular order...

Morticia Addams - The Addams Family
Elizabeth Montgomery - Bewitched
Irene Ryan - The Beverly Hillbillies
Marion Ross - Happy Days
Jean Byron - The Patty Duke Show
Mary Tyler Moore - The Dick Van Dyke Show
Lucille Ball - I Love Lucy
Marjorie Lord - Make Room For Daddy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors