• Marge Simpson, The Simpsons

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Marie Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Clair Dunphy, Modern Family

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The phrase "Best" needs to be defined as used here. It's subjective. What tangibles does "best" encompass?

I was going to say June Cleaver. I saw an episode this morning of her doing housework in a dress, hair perfectly groomed, wearing a pearl necklace and dress heels. :eek: My mom NEVER dressed like THAT when she did housework. :confused:

I'll go along with the majority and say Florida Evans. She dealt with more drama in one episode than June did in an entire season, on top of having a job to go to everyday to help James make ends meet.

I'm surprised that Harriet Nelson, Jane Wyatt (Father knows best) nor Donna Reed were not nominated. They were great moms too.

Could Victoria Barkley (Barbara Stanwyck) (The Big Valley) qualify? The other moms ran modest suburban households. She was the owner and head of the Barkley ranch, and oversaw its profitable cattle empire.

She ran both with an unrelenting iron fist, and had the respect of all that knew her, or did business with her. :) One of my favorite TV westerns.

View attachment 43205
I was basing mine on the person I thought was the best mom under the circumstances she was operating under. I eliminated June Cleaver because she had a pretty easy gig.

I voted for Carol Brady because she was dealing with the issues of a combined family. If I could I would take that vote back because she also had the help of a maid. Now one could say that she had to take care of the needs of 6 children, but a really good mom would have assigned them chores to help with the housework. You seldom saw those kids do squat except their homework. Of course, they only kept the maid because she originally took care of the boys before they got married.

I also voted for Florida Evans as well, but in my opinion, she surpasses Carol Brady by quite a lot. I mean she works in a menial job out of necessity to supplement the family income. I really give her the most props for not killing her oldest son, who in my opinion is the most obnoxious characters in TV history.

I also believe that the Donna Reed Show and Father Knows Best moms should have been included. But i am surprised that Michael Learned - Olivia Walton and Karen Grassle-- Caroline Engals from Little House on the Prairie were omitted. Olivia Walton probable busted her chops harder than Florida and Caroline even outdid her due to the work required of the times. Those women worked from sun up to past sundown. People now days do not realize the amount of labor that was essential in a pioneer woman's life just to get through the average day. So I would nominate Caroline Engals for the title.

Right after just finishing the previous part of my post, I realized I totally forgot it was for Mothers Day. Interesting I ended up with Caroline Engals and that I mentioned the certain issues that the others had because It seems they were reflective of circumstances my own mother experienced throughout her life. You might wonder about the hardships faced by Caroline Engals being possible, but in fact, it was even harsher. It was more along the line of what the settlers in Jamestown Virginia faced. They had to make everything they used. My mother was not someone that was easy to be around, but when judging someones we need to consider the handicaps and burdens they have had to carry, which is also why I picked Florida and Caroline. They each represent different factors with respect to overcoming and dealing with circumstances that made their lives less than ideal.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I was basing mine on the person I thought was the best mom under the circumstances she was operating under. I eliminated June Cleaver because she had a pretty easy gig.

I voted for Carol Brady because she was dealing with the issues of a combined family. If I could I would take that vote back because she also had the help of a maid. Now one could say that she had to take care of the needs of 6 children, but a really good mom would have assigned them chores to help with the housework. You seldom saw those kids do squat except their homework. Of course, they only kept the maid because she originally took care of the boys before they got married.

I also voted for Florida Evans as well, but in my opinion, she surpasses Carol Brady by quite a lot. I mean she works in a menial job out of necessity to supplement the family income. I really give her the most props for not killing her oldest son, who in my opinion is the most obnoxious characters in TV history.

I also believe that the Donna Reed Show and Father Knows Best moms should have been included. But i am surprised that Michael Learned - Olivia Walton and Karen Grassle-- Caroline Engals from Little House on the Prairie were omitted. Olivia Walton probable busted her chops harder than Florida and Caroline even outdid her due to the work required of the times. Those women worked from sun up to past sundown. People now days do not realize the amount of labor that was essential in a pioneer woman's life just to get through the average day. So I would nominate Caroline Engals for the title.

Right after just finishing the previous part of my post, I realized I totally forgot it was for Mothers Day. Interesting I ended up with Caroline Engals and that I mentioned the certain issues that the others had because It seems they were reflective of circumstances my own mother experienced throughout her life. You might wonder about the hardships faced by Caroline Engals being possible, but in fact, it was even harsher. It was more along the line of what the settlers in Jamestown Virginia faced. They had to make everything they used. My mother was not someone that was easy to be around, but when judging someones we need to consider the handicaps and burdens they have had to carry, which is also why I picked Florida and Caroline. They each represent different factors with respect to overcoming and dealing with circumstances that made their lives less than ideal.

I'm not sure you should reject June Cleaver out of hand just because she had "a pretty easy gig." Keeping your dress immaculate while doing housework is a lot tougher to do than it looks. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If locked into the poll I have to go Peg Bundy. Having said that right now there is one the better half watches and I glance in on called Mom with Allison Janney.
Jean Stapleton was a great side kick for Archie Bunker as a wife and mom on All In The Family.
Can't leave out Isabel Sanford as Louise Weezy Mills Jefferson in The Jeffersons.....
Sorry I wondered from the poll.... :D ;)

Katey Sagal played Peg Bundy, but I would argues her best motherhood role came later as Gemma Teller Morrow in that religious show Sons of Anarchy. She'd kill for family and have time to cook up a big spread for the club too! Now that's a mom.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
breaking news from the 21st century--the two lois's. (malcolm in the middle, family guy).
i'm voting for the former ms. lois pewterschmidt, she's fun.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Harriet Winslow - Family Matters. Worked a full time job and when she came home Urkel was there. She was a saint.

Winner.

End thread.

the Q

Reaction Score
Harriet Winslow - Family Matters. Worked a full time job and when she came home Urkel was there. She was a saint.

She even let Urkel live with them in the later seasons.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I know the ones on the list, and each has her own unique qualifications, But Katherine Helmond as Jessica Tate and Cathryn Damon as Mary Campbell on the series Soap were my favorites. One alternately crazier than the other, both kept me in stitches. Yet both were moms who zealously protected their equally inane children.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The voters are too upset that Mary Pickford wasn't included.
That was a slight omission, but Sarah Bernhardt being overlooked is just unconscionable. ;) Well, it is if you can eliminate the "TV" bit as being too limiting!

the Q

Reaction Score
Tammy Taylor at least deserves a mention here.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

That fact alone was enough to make her look for a second job. :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Write in vote.

Shirley was clearly the best Mom. She and the kids were always on the road. Travel is good for young minds. Plus, she's the hottest Mom. Maybe tied with Claire.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One thing about this thread... it just reinforces how good TV used to be in the good old days...( well the 1980s..) Outside of Sports, the News, PBS and food shows... I dont watch much TV. I think the last compelling show that I watched regularly was the first few seasons of America's Next Top Model :eek:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm not sure you should reject June Cleaver out of hand just because she had "a pretty easy gig." Keeping your dress immaculate while doing housework is a lot tougher to do than it looks. ;)

:eek: :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom