Best true point guard in Big East history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best true point guard in Big East history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My favorite is Greg McNamara what a great player! Wished we had him, could have won 4 Championships with him. The best I ever saw or will see. I'll take him over Bazz and Khalid everyday.

(What's today's date?)

Reaction Score
The list is wrong. Vincent
Council is the BE all time assist leader

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do we consider Kemba to be a "pure" point guard? If Pearl was, then so was he - though neither were as "pass first" as Sherm or Mark Jackson.

In terms of college career, Kemba is clearly the most successful point guard in Big East history, since he's the only one who was the best player on a team that won the national championship. In terms of pure, classic point guard abilities - not to mention pro career - it would have to be Jackson.

Do we get to retcon the likes of Doc Rivers, Rod Strickland and Nick Van Exel into the Big East, btw? Ugh.
Do we consider Kemba to be a "pure" point guard? If Pearl was, then so was he - though neither were as "pass first" as Sherm or Mark Jackson.

In terms of college career, Kemba is clearly the most successful point guard in Big East history, since he's the only one who was the best player on a team that won the national championship. In terms of pure, classic point guard abilities - not to mention pro career - it would have to be Jackson.

Do we get to retcon the likes of Doc Rivers, Rod Strickland and Nick Van Exel into the Big East, btw? Ugh.

Being the best player on a team that won a NC is not a valid criteria. By that measure, Danny Manning was better than Wilt Chamberlain. Winning a NC is not the measure of a player. It's the measure of a team.

The Big East has had many great PGs, Jackson, Pearl, Sherm, Iverson. The guys who are known for assists are almost all offensively limited. Talkiek was a heck of a player...a warrior on the court. But he couldn't shoot worth a damn.

Reaction Score
Pearl Wahington isn't on your list? I know we're supposed to hate Cuse but Pearl was my idol in high school.

Or Sherman Douglas, the guy who graduated as the all-time assist leader in college basketball (and is still 2nd to Chris Corchiani, if I recall correctly)?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
For the record, Mark Jackson is the best point guard in Big East History, but the list is incomplete with other oversites such as Iverson, Bagley, Douglas, Sheffer, El Amin, et al prior to 1998. Big East History dates back to 1979, not 1998.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
All due respect to Taliek, but to call him a great pure point guard seems to be a nice way of saying he can't shoot.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well, not for nothing, but Taliek had a pretty solid roster to pass to. I'm not sure he was the key to them winning a title, but he sure didn't hurt their chances. Assists are the most basic measue of a true pg.

I see, Like Larry Bird...Oh wait.

PG's are in the best position to accumulate assists, That doesn't mean that they are good point guards. Exhibit A: Filipe Lopez.

Alln Iverson was a really good point guard, but he did not accumulate assists like a Mark Jackson or Marcus Williams.

Reaction Score
My favorite is Greg McNamara what a great player! Wished we had him, could have won 4 Championships with him. The best I ever saw or will see. I'll take him over Bazz and Khalid everyday.

(What's today's date?)
Please.... I hope you're kidding.
Put a hand in his face and he was pathetic.
UConn did that and he was totally impotent against us.
His stats were mind boggling poor.
Look it up.

Reaction Score
Please.... I hope you're kidding.
Put a hand in his face and he was pathetic.
UConn did that and he was totally impotent against us.
His stats were mind boggling poor.
Look it up.
Haha...the tiny font at the bottom got you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom