Best roster | The Boneyard

Best roster

Reaction Score
Just wondering what previous team the Boneyards think had the best UConn roster top to bottom. I know I’m excited for the future and hoping UConn can get back on the dynasty level. Future rosters could be amazing.

Reaction Score
Just wondering what previous team the Boneyards think had the best UConn roster top to bottom. I know I’m excited for the future and hoping UConn can get back on the dynasty level. Future rosters could be amazing.
Auriemmma always said it was the 2001 team and I would definitely agree. 9 players on that team played professionally. I will never be convinced that they wouldn’t have won the championship that year if Shea and Svet hadn’t gotten hurt.

Reaction Score
Auriemmma always said it was the 2001 team and I would definitely agree. 9 players on that team played professionally. I will never be convinced that they wouldn’t have won the championship that year if Shea and Svet hadn’t gotten hurt.
We will be 9 deep soon.

Reaction Score
He's wrong and you are too. It's about winning. Start with one of the teams that won four NCs in a row. :D

Reaction Score
He's wrong and you are too. It's about winning. Start with one of the teams that won four NCs in a row. :D

No team won 4 in a row. Each championship team had a different lineup. By your measure, it would be one of the 11 championship teams.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Just wondering what previous team the Boneyards think had the best UConn roster top to bottom.
I would play the 2012-13 roster against any UCONN team including TASSK. Need bigs? Dolson, Stewart, and Stokes. Need defense? Jefferson, Faris, Stewart, and Stokes for sure. Need offense? Stewart, KML, Hartley, Dolson, Jefferson. They score inside and outside the paint. This team has speed and power. Nine of them played professional basketball.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
UCONN's 2012-13 team had 9 players who played professionally.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Have a healthy Shea Ralph and Sevetlana Abrosimova and it wouldn't have mattered if DT and the rest of the team had a poor second half against Notre Dame. Their experience would have led UConn to the National Championship. ;)

Reaction Score
;Most may say the Stewie team of her Soph or Jr year. But the 2000 to 2002 teams emotionally live in my heart. Their precision in passing, smooth play, superb personalities when WOMEN's basketball never made page 4 and few heard of it they lit up MEN and Women and made a name for Women's basketball. When Stewie arrived it was much different. Initially we were Geno's Geriatric fans, now from age 3 to 103 WCBB has fans. It all started with Pat and Geno.

Reaction Score
I would play the 2012-13 roster against any UCONN team including TASSK. Need bigs? Dolson, Stewart, and Stokes. Need defense? Jefferson, Faris, Stewart, and Stokes for sure. Need offense? Stewart, KML, Hartley, Dolson, Jefferson. They score inside and outside the paint. This team has speed and power. Nine of them played professional basketball.
Not negative---but what constituted the best? The most wins, the most NC's, the most players going Pro, the teams that had the greatest impact on women/College WBB, WNBA, speed and power?
The premise is broad.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It really is kind of amazing that there are multiple UCONN rosters that can legitimately be argued as "best."

I am guessing that the vast majority of schools have 1 team in their history that is the clear 'best' for them. Other schools might have 2 squads to bicker about. UCONN has at least 3 or 4.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Deepest roster was probably 2000-01, but the 2013-14 roster was really good too.

Lest we forget, the 2009-10 championship roster of Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Kalana Greene, Tiffany Hayes, Caroline Doty, et al. still holds the NCAA records for fewest points given up per game in a season, 46.2 ppg, and lowest shooting percentage allowed, 30.0%.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Deepest roster was probably 2000-01, but the 2013-14 roster was really good too.

Lest we forget, the 2009-10 championship roster of Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Kalana Greene, Tiffany Hayes, Caroline Doty, et al. still holds the NCAA record for fewest points given up per game in a season, 46.2 ppg, and lowest shooting percentage allowed, 30.0%.

It would be interesting to analyze that team's defensive performance against some of the later teams that played in the AAC. Defensive shooting percentage allowed would be the most informative. Obviously Geno's squads have played a very difficult non-conference schedule for some time, and there were certainly some cupcakes in the old Big East just as there are in the AAC. But I feel like the old BE was stronger on average, making the 2009-10 squad's 30%-shooting-allowed figure particularly noteworthy.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
2000-01 was maybe the best collection of names but no one on that team had her best season that year. The chemistry also seemed off, too.

The 2009-10 team was amazing as was the '14-15 team.

I'm going old school with this. From top to bottom, in terms of the best 5, 1995 is hard to beat (so, including Nykesha and putting Pam Webber on the bench). Three national players of the year and one runner-up. Great scoring options at all five positions. Amazing defense -- steals and blocks like no other team.

The only thing you can't say about that team is that they didn't have a signature win on the road but the schedule was what the schedule was.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Not negative---but what constituted the best? The most wins, the most NC's, the most players going Pro, the teams that had the greatest impact on women/College WBB, WNBA, speed and power?
The premise is broad.
Right! My assumption was which team would beat any other UCONN team from a given season.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to analyze that team's defensive performance against some of the later teams that played in the AAC. Defensive shooting percentage allowed would be the most informative. Obviously Geno's squads have played a very difficult non-conference schedule for some time, and there were certainly some cupcakes in the old Big East just as there are in the AAC. But I feel like the old BE was stronger on average, making the 2009-10 squad's 30%-shooting-allowed figure particularly noteworthy.
It was a fun scenario but not possible to REALLY evaluate. Shooting percentages are based on talent and defense (others as well) hard to evaluate decade to decade. The old Big East teams some are exceptional now and some not so but even then the talent and abilities of the players --how do you compare--STATs don't do it too many variables.
So, I take the Emotional Road and pick the teams who thrilled me most. Non-disclosure.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I think they meant the teams from 2013-16 had different rosters and, therefore, different teams. Though one could argue the class of 2016 might have been the best based on NCs won.

Yes, this is the meaning I took, too. That each season was a distinct and separate team. Related, with a lot of carryover from season to season? Of course, but still separate teams. Can't put your foot in the same river twice and all that :)

Reaction Score
If we’re going purely based on the peak performance of each team (as opposed to how they played overall, only during the tourney, etc.) I‘d say some order of:
  • 02 NC team
  • 10 NC team
  • 16 NC team
All three had plenty of experience combined with great post & guard play, defense, and team chemistry. Plus each of those teams had one of the "holy trinity" of UConn women's basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN's 2012-13 team had 9 players who played professionally.
I agree with your premise that 12-13 was the best UCONN roster but I only count 8 who played professionally.
Tuck, Jefferson, Hartley, KML, Dolson, Stokes, Faris, & Stewie. The three other players on that roster were Doty, Banks and Buck.

Reaction Score
I agree with your premise that 12-13 was the best UCONN roster but I only count 8 who played professionally.
Tuck, Jefferson, Hartley, KML, Dolson, Stokes, Faris, & Stewie. The three other players on that roster were Doty, Banks and Buck.
The 13-14 team also had eight, with Chong replacing Ferris. I would argue the 13-14 team was better because it was undefeated and all those great players were a year older. The down side was that Tuck was injured and didn’t play, while Chong had very few minutes.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I agree with your premise that 12-13 was the best UCONN roster but I only count 8 who played professionally. Tuck, Jefferson, Hartley, KML, Dolson, Stokes, Faris, & Stewie. The three other players on that roster were Doty, Banks and Buck.
Brianna Banks Eurobasketball

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom