OT: Best place to go camping in CT | The Boneyard

OT: Best place to go camping in CT

Reaction Score
Now that camping season is back, where do you like to go camping? I prefer tent camping to some crazy RV or something, but I do tend to enjoy a place that has legit bathrooms.

I will say I've gone backpacking up in Salisbury, CT at the Appalachian Trail where it crosses into NY overnight and that's super fun.

Reaction Score
We tent camp every year. I also have 3 small kids so for last few we have done the park at Lake Waramaug in Kent. It is tent only, not too big, and folks respect the early quiet time (think 10 or 11). Not the biggest place, but depending on what you're looking for it is an easy do option.

Reaction Score
Now that camping season is back, where do you like to go camping? I prefer tent camping to some crazy RV or something, but I do tend to enjoy a place that has legit bathrooms.

I will say I've gone backpacking up in Salisbury, CT at the Appalachian Trail where it crosses into NY overnight and that's super fun.
Natures campsites..Voluntown Ct..pool,bathrooms,entertainment..go to website

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What's wrong with Rocky Neck? It has nice campsites and hiking trails as well as real bathrooms. The beach is right there and the Lyme Tavern is within walking distance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've never done it because we live there, people seem to love camping at Hammonasset. From what I understand, the spots get reserved quite early for peak times though. Like a year in advance or something crazy like that.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Natures campsites..Voluntown Ct..pool,bathrooms,entertainment..go to website
We tented there a couple of summers ago. The firewood they sold was wet and useless and we got a nice spot right on a river. Unfortunately it was right near the RVs that the weekenders keep there and thus we heard the drunkards all night.

Nice place, tho, with a huge State forest (State Park) to the south. There is a pond and beach in there.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Point Folley / White Memorial at Bantam Lake is a pretty cool spot. Its sits on a peninsula and id say 70% of the sites have direct water access. We'd take a john boat and a little 10hp motor and walk it right into the water. 2 good little coves to fish in. Bathrooms (stainless steel variety), non-potable water, grease receptacles and a small campstore on site.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I haven't been there in nearly 30+ years, but consider Hopeville State Park in Griswold. I remember it as being pretty and relatively secluded but it was a long time ago.
6a00d835618eef69e201116894debd970c-800wi

I second Rocky Neck, but it will be busy as we get further into the season.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not sure if you're trying to backpack, but Sage's Ravine is a beautiful campsite on the AT where CT meets MA. Can hike Mount Race in that area which is super fun.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you're trying to backpack, but Sage's Ravine is a beautiful campsite on the AT where CT meets MA. Can hike Mount Race in that area which is super fun.

Sage's ravine is a pretty cool area

Reaction Score
Agree with the AT-- you really can't go wrong anywhere from NY to MA. But it is steep so try to go when its dry to avoid potentially dangerous trail. Another backpacking option is the Metacomet Trail from Talcott Mountain going north. You're technically not supposed to camp but there are tons of places to do so, just be discrete.

If you go to Peoples or American Legion in Barkhamsted bring tubes-- the ride from Riverton is 2 1/2 hours of heaven on a hot day. Bigelow Hollow in Woodstock and Black Rock in Thomaston are also nice state parks...just stay away from Black Rock on holiday weekends.

If you want a car-camping experience, there is really nothing better than Rocky Neck (as some have mentioned) or Hammonasset. I practically grew up there in the summer.

Out of the state, Nickerson State Park on Cape Cod, Burlingame SP in RI, and Jamaica SP in VT are old favorites.

Have fun!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you want a car-camping experience, there is really nothing better than Rocky Neck (as some have mentioned) or Hammonasset. I practically grew up there in the summer.
Probably common sense everywhere, sadly, but remember that you need to lock your stuff up--especially bikes--if you are going to Rocky Neck. Neighbor's son had his brand new bike stolen while camping there a few years ago. The kids went camping with their mother, and the father, who was unable to go, cautioned them about it beforehand because he had heard similar stories. Wife and kid thought he was overreacting and didn't listen. It wasn't a pleasant scene when they had to tell him.

Reaction Score
I haven't been there in nearly 30+ years, but consider Hopeville State Park in Griswold. I remember it as being pretty and relatively secluded but it was a long time ago.

Some of my best childhood memories are at Hopeville. My grandmother took all of her grandchildren for two weeks every summer for about 10 years. I drove through there a few years ago on a nostalgia trip and it was more or less exactly the same. Very quaint, quiet, and simple.

Reaction Score

It's still fairly secluded, but it gets a little dirtier with some of the non-locals who don't respect it. Not sure it's opening this year (they closed it after July 4th last year), but Green Falls in Voluntown has great trails and the pond is cleaner.

For the best stream fishing, I'd go along the Natchaug River in the Eastford/Chaplin area. They put a lot of larger trout in that stretch (but the daily limit is 2, I think).

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Anyone have any suggestions for the white mountains?

Franconia Notch is supposed to be good...I also did Mount Moosilauke which was fun. Moosilauke is a day hike, and I believe at Franconia Notch you can make two or three days out of it and hit a couple of great peaks.

Reaction Score
It's still fairly secluded, but it gets a little dirtier with some of the non-locals who don't respect it. Not sure it's opening this year (they closed it after July 4th last year), but Green Falls in Voluntown has great trails and the pond is cleaner.

For the best stream fishing, I'd go along the Natchaug River in the Eastford/Chaplin area. They put a lot of larger trout in that stretch (but the daily limit is 2, I think).
The upper Farmington is spectacular for trout fishing.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

I spent 22 years in the Army. That crazy RV thing? I love it. 40 feet long diesel. The only water I feel on my face now is the shower inside.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone have any suggestions for the white mountains?
Backpacking or car camping? Backpacking there are a lot of choices with my favorite being the Presidential Range loop down into the Great Gulf Wilderness. Car camping, use Franconia Notch State Park.

If you let me know what you are looking for, what ages etc., I can give you more suggestions. I enjoy the area.

Reaction Score
Backpacking or car camping? Backpacking there are a lot of choices with my favorite being the Presidential Range loop down into the Great Gulf Wilderness. Car camping, use Franconia Notch State Park.

If you let me know what you are looking for, what ages etc., I can give you more suggestions. I enjoy the area.
I booked a spot at dry river campground for three nights in august. It's just a bit west of Harts Location. I would have preferred one of the fed campgrounds, but my wife needs showers. My son is 5 but loves to explore and loves camping. I'm open for suggestions for next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom