OT: - Best place to get a Gyro? | The Boneyard

OT: Best place to get a Gyro?

Reaction Score
I just went to a Mets game last week and while in Manhattan I ate a Gyro from a food truck that was absolutely incredible. Ive been having an craving for another and was wondering if any local places make a good gyro?

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Ambrosia in Cromwell makes a good gyro.

Reaction Score
Anywhere on Edgware Road in London. Insanely good. Probably donkey but who cares. So good

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Mykonos on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington is my go to. Love it every time.

Gyro Love in Cromwell is pretty good, not as good as Mykonos.

...In before @August_West says Arby’s.

And truth be told, I’ve had way worse gyros than at Arby’s.

Edit: beat to the Arby’s punch. :)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Sounds like I gotta get to Ambrosia...

Reaction Score
Filos in Northampton. They even do a gyro pizza:

slide7.jpg

Reaction Score
80% of gyros are the same.
Most places just buy from Kronos, a food distributor that makes them.

If you make them yourself, you basically send 3 boneless meats (steak, pork, lamb) through a hand cranked meat grinder, then cake them together. A big PITA.
The only variations are what to put in one (tomato, tzatziki, onion and a little lemon) and whether you want to throw each slice on the grill for a minute for a little extra burn.

The second half of that video shows what it's like to make it yourself and cook it yourself. You're basically making it into a thin pattie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anywhere on Edgware Road in London. Insanely good. Probably donkey but who cares. So good
That would be a "local place" if you lived near London. But if you have a craving I guess a 6 hour plane ride isn't that big a deal. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If you’re in CT, Adriatik’s in Glastonbury

Reaction Score
My buddies father is from Syria, relocated to CT. For me, nothing beats that for middle eastern/kebabs/shawarma/gyros/etc. Homemade will always be the best, that is my answer. When going out, however, I was told the meat always needs to be spinning or rotating or whatever and that is your first cue in telling if the place is legit or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My buddies father is from Syria, relocated to CT. For me, nothing beats that for middle eastern/kebabs/shawarma/gyros/etc. Homemade will always be the best, that is my answer. When going out, however, I was told the meat always needs to be spinning or rotating or whatever and that is your first cue in telling if the place is legit or not.

Eh--I would say the opposite about the spinner. If the place is making it by itself, it's not going to be on a cone. It will be made into patties.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My buddy and I used to go to a great shawarma place in NYC not far from NYU. My wife banded me from going due to shawarma breath. That was a sad day.

Reaction Score
80% of gyros are the same.
Most places just buy from Kronos, a food distributor that makes them.

If you make them yourself, you basically send 3 boneless meats (steak, pork, lamb) through a hand cranked meat grinder, then cake them together. A big PITA.
The only variations are what to put in one (tomato, tzatziki, onion and a little lemon) and whether you want to throw each slice on the grill for a minute for a little extra burn.

The second half of that video shows what it's like to make it yourself and cook it yourself. You're basically making it into a thin pattie.

Ive actually made them at home before and they were amazing. The Tsatsiky sauce was simple and absolutely delicious. Only thing though I just made them with grilled steak which was incredible but not authentic.

Reaction Score
Just be sure there'a an accessable crapper within emergency range.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom