Best Pizza in Florida | The Boneyard

Best Pizza in Florida

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Last night we went to a soft opening at the new Colony Grill in St. Pete. Finally we will be able to get good pizza and I will go out on a limb that Colony is the best pizza in Florida. Three onions, one sausage and mushroom, one sausage and onion and one salad pizza. None of them disappointed. Colony also opened in Arlington Va and is also opening another Colony in Tampa. Oh and for those of you experienced with Colony we did not order a hot oil pie. Our 70 year old GI tracts can't handle them any more.

Reaction Score
If you like a bar pie, then Colony is great. But some pizza purists, particularly New Haven apizza lovers (like myself), consider it substandard. They’re just not comparable. For those of us who grew up in Stamford, Colony holds a special place in our pizza loving hearts. I tried the Fairfield location twice. As basic as a bar pie is, those pizzas couldn’t hold a candle to the original. I rarely get a hankering for bar pie these days, but when I do, it’s the original Colony.

Reaction Score
Time has a certain mercy to it.

After a time away, you forget what good pizza is and you’re happy with whatever you find.
So true Fishy. I am in Dallas and generally dislike the pizza here so much that I forget how good it can be. I mostly avoid it.

Spent 3 weeks in Sept visiting the family and friends in the Northeast (Central CT and Queens) and ate pizza 6x, including twice in New Haven. Felt like I could have eaten it every day. Other Italian and seafood filled the other days

For the record,.TX cannot conceive of good pizza, ice cream (Sweet Claude's) or a good hot dog/seafood stand (Glenwood).

Reaction Score
There's a Lucali location in Miami Beach. It's apparently not as good as the Brooklyn location but it's still supposed to be rather good.

Reaction Score
Nah. Found a good place just outside Bradenton on the way to Cortez a couple years ago. But because you're such an elitist, I'm keeping it a secret.
Wow, I have been called a lot of things in my long life, elitist is a new addition to the list, thanks for putting a smile on an old guy’s face. I was born and raised in the public projects of New Haven (well-known source of elitism), went to college in Hartford, know good pizza and know good grinders, west coast of Floriduh has neither.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Spent 3 weeks in Sept visiting the family and friends in the Northeast (Central CT and Queens) and ate pizza 6x, including twice in New Haven. Felt like I could have eaten it every day. Other Italian and seafood filled the other days
Where'd ya go in Queens?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
If you like a bar pie, then Colony is great. But some pizza purists, particularly New Haven apizza lovers (like myself), consider it substandard. They’re just not comparable. For those of us who grew up in Stamford, Colony holds a special place in our pizza loving hearts. I tried the Fairfield location twice. As basic as a bar pie is, those pizzas couldn’t hold a candle to the original. I rarely get a hankering for bar pie these days, but when I do, it’s the original Colony.
Good stuff. Half my family is off the boat from Ireland and you lost them at bar!! The other half is Italian and there are no good pizzas outside Brooklyn. I am just offering that outside Colony edible pizza is hard to find

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wow, I have been called a lot of things in my long life, elitist is a new addition to the list, thanks for putting a smile on an old guy’s face. I was born and raised in the public projects of New Haven (well-known source of elitism), went to college in Hartford, know good pizza and know good grinders, west coast of Floriduh has neither.
Yale casts a big shadow. I bet osmosis alone made your projects smarter than ours in Stamford in the 60s/70s, lol. We didn't even have a college ;-)

Btw, it was Fire & Stone. Neopolitan brick oven, which is still pizza, albeit not what we talk about when discussing the NH Holy Trinity or Colony or Zuppardis, etc. But about as good as any Neopolitan I've had in New England, as they all tend to be mostly the same when done right.

Reaction Score
Yale casts a big shadow. I bet osmosis alone made your projects smarter than ours in Stamford in the 60s/70s, lol. We didn't even have a college ;-)

Btw, it was Fire & Stone. Neopolitan brick oven, which is still pizza, albeit not what we talk about when discussing the NH Holy Trinity or Colony or Zuppardis, etc. But about as good as any Neopolitan I've had in New England, as they all tend to be mostly the same when done right.
Thanks, how long ago were you there, Google and FB indicate they have been closed for a while

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Thanks, how long ago were you there, Google and FB indicate they have been closed for a while
2014-2017... used to go to Pirates spring training every year. If closed, that sucks, but then again, not going back down till Pirates start to look good again, lol.

Edit: guess they've tried to reopen a couple times, but the owner's "Florida ingenuity" regarding removing grease traps and re-routing sewage seems to be a sticking point!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2014-2017... used to go to Pirates spring training every year. If closed, that sucks, but then again, not going back down till Pirates start to look good again, lol.
Looks like owner fell off ladder in front of restaurant has been closed for quite a while, wife is still hoping to reopen

Reaction Score
Heading to Fla for the first time this winter for an extended period of time. Nice to know you can get a piece of "pie" somewhere:

Bad news. Prob in Jupiter/Wellington for the first month or two for biz reasons.. Fancy folks don't lean towards pie.

Recommendations appreciated..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will never set foot in Floriduh. Bring on the snow! And the great food up here in new England.

Reaction Score
Last night we went to a soft opening at the new Colony Grill in St. Pete. Finally we will be able to get good pizza and I will go out on a limb that Colony is the best pizza in Florida. Three onions, one sausage and mushroom, one sausage and onion and one salad pizza. None of them disappointed. Colony also opened in Arlington Va and is also opening another Colony in Tampa. Oh and for those of you experienced with Colony we did not order a hot oil pie. Our 70 year old GI tracts can't handle them any more.
Is Colony as good as The Italian Store pizza in Arlington?

Reaction Score
Where'd ya go in Queens?
My son lives in Astoria. We ate at a couple places: The best pizza was at a place called Slice. Milkflower was also really good. Kraveit made really weird and creative pizzas.

We ate at Modern in New Haven and Rossini's in Cheshire, as well. I told people they need to appreciate how lucky they are. Pizza isn't nearly that good in the Southwest.

Do you know Queens? My 26-year-old and his girlfriend love Queens. Born and raised in Cheshire, he is a full-throated NYer now.

Reaction Score
Heading to Fla for the first time this winter for an extended period of time. Nice to know you can get a piece of "pie" somewhere:

Bad news. Prob in Jupiter/Wellington for the first month or two for biz reasons.. Fancy folks don't lean towards pie.

Recommendations appreciated..

There are several sicilian ovens and Anthony's coal fired in the palm Beach area. Not great, but still pretty good all things considered.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I grew up in Stamford. I know Bobo's daughter. Colony is sauce from a can and pre-grated cheese. Anyone in the land of apizza who thinks Colony it's more than a base for a bunch of beers or cocktails is either nuts, drinking too much or hitting the bong or crack pipe too hard. Give me Mario's or John the Baker over Colony any day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom