Best Non-UCONN teams the last 10 years | The Boneyard

Best Non-UCONN teams the last 10 years

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Most off seasons, there seem to be a thread or two on what was the best UCONN team or ranking them in order. This is going to be a long off season, and I'm bored, so I thought I'd start this thread to help pass the time.

The last ten years have been thoroughly dominated by UCONN (10 Final Fours, 6 titles, 370-14 record, etc), but there have been a lot of really good teams the past decade that don't get a whole lot of credit, either because they were overshadowed by UCONN, had injury issues, or another reason. Here is how I'd rank the best non UCONN teams from this era:

1. 2014 Notre Dame, they finished 37-1 and were one of the best offensive teams ever. Incredibly efficient, they shot over 50% from the floor, 40% from 3, and 75% from the line. Every starter had a positive assist/TO ratio and they were extremely dominant the entire season, winning 35 of their 37 games by double figures. Their only close call was against a very good Maryland team that made the Final Four with Alyssa Thomas and Lexie Brown. Their downfall was that they lost Achonwa and ended up getting blown out by one of the best UCONN teams ever. I do think UCONN wins it all even if Achonwa was healthy, but Stewart/Dolson had an absolute field day going up against freshman Taya Reimer and exploited that matchup from the get go. ND had 3 All Americans on the top 3 AP teams and had all the pieces to win it all in most years. I rank them over Baylor because I thought they were more dominant overall than the Bears were. In 2012 Baylor also didn't have to face a UCONN team with the likes of Stewart or Moore on the roster. At any rate, I think this was the best team Muffet ever had.

2. 2012 Baylor, they went 40-0 en route to a dominant championship. One of the better defensive teams women's basketball has seen, they were led by the incredibly dominant Brittney Griner. She made a big jump in her offensive ability from 2011 to 2012, and Sims also emerged as one of the top point guards in the country this year. Baylor was loaded with good role player supporting their 2 stars, none of whom were flashy, but all were effective. They played great basketball at the end of the season, shutting down the Ogwumikes, blasting a talented Tennessee team in the Elite 8 and using a dominant 2nd half to crush Notre Dame by 19. They did have the luxury of not facing a UCONN team with a mega superstar, but to their credit, they beat UCONN in the regular season and even if UCONN did have a mega superstar, I'm not sure they would've had an answer for Griner.

3. 2013 Baylor, 34-2, Sweet 16, similar to 2012....they were one of the more dominant teams we've seen in women's basketball. Virtually the same roster, but with a good freshman PG in Niya Johnson. They did have 2 losses, but one was when they played without Odyssey Sims and the other was the infamous Louisville game. I do think this squad overall was more dominant then the 2011-12 roster when they played their best, but I can't rank them above 2011-12 who went undefeated while this squad lost in the Sweet 16. Statistically, this team was definitely better offensively than 2011-12. Some may criticize putting this squad over other championship teams, but Baylor was solidly the #1 team almost the entire season and were viewed as the team to beat the entire year. Louisville needed a straight up miracle (plus some questionable calls/no calls) to pull off the upset. If that didn't happen, Baylor would've likely steamrolled to the title game and faced UCONN in a showdown.

4. 2018 Notre Dame, 35-3, National Champion. Notre Dame had many moments throughout the season where they looked shaky (their 4th quarter meltdown vs. UCONN, 33 point loss to Louisville and down by 23 to Tennessee for starters), but they persevered through adversity and proved they were an outstanding team capable of beating anyone. They had an absolutely brutal path to win the championship. They had to face:
-Texas A&M, a very good 4 seed who came close to beating ND in the Sweet 16 led by Carter, Williams and Howard
-Oregon in the PNW, most people predicted OU would beat Notre Dame
-UCONN who was 36-0..many people didn't think this would be a competitive game
-Mississippi State who was 37-1....another game where they were the underdog

They were a really unique team in that weren't going to beat you with size or athleticism, but seemingly found a way through sheer effort, smarts and playing within themselves. They got the job done agains the best competition, so that's why I have them here.

5. 2018 Mississippi State, 37-2 and the runner up. Like 2018 Notre Dame, players on the team knew their role and played within themselves. The championship game was a tad strange since the offensive plan became "pound it into McCowan" rather than running their weave offense and utilizing great three point shooters and Vivians/Johnson/William off the dribble. When they ran their normal offense, they were effective, especially with McCowan cleaning up everything inside. Once they got away from that, they struggled. Overall on the season, I thought they were a very complete team in all areas. They had strong weapons in all 5 starters and McCowan was a matchup nightmare for all opposing teams. Vic really maximized the talent on his roster, and they waltzed through a good SEC, finishing the regular season undefeated. If they win the title, I'd bump them up to number 3. The no-call on Mabrey was brutal, but in reality Mississippi State just stopped executing in the 4th and looked lost on the offensive end. They had their chances but didn't capitalize like they had all season long.

6. 2010 Stanford, 36-2, national runner up. First thing worth noting is that Stanford very possibly goes undefeated if there isn't Connecticut. They were 36-0 against everyone else, 0-2 vs the Huskies. They had a loaded roster with Appel, Nneka, Pederson and Pohlen...just a really had a fantastic season. Their record may be a tad inflated since the only good teams they played prior to the tournament were Tennessee, Duke, Gonzaga and UCONN. They also probably should have lost the regional final to Xavier if it weren't for 2 wide open blown layups at the end of the game. In the title game, everyone remembers how bad UCONN was in the first half....but Stanford really wasn't much better, only scoring 20 points. Their offense was completely shut down by UCONN. The second half, their struggles continued and they had scored just 31 total points until there were 2.5 minutes left and the game was out of reach. I think if they played in a tougher conference, they may have lost another game or 2, but for all the criticism I've given them, they really were a very strong team.

7. 2018 Louisville, 36-3, Final Four. I'm hard on Walz, but they were fantastic this season. They played a strong schedule and managed to come out with just 2 losses in the regular season and lost a heart breaker in the Final Four to Mississippi State, also on a somewhat questionable no call at the end of regulation. They weren't a dominant team most of the year, but they proved they could hang with anyone and gut out close wins. If they knocked off Mississippi State, I do think they would've beat Notre Dame a 3rd time, especially after seeing how much Mabrey struggled against their quick guards. Really is crazy how close the Final Four was this year.

8. 2017 South Carolina, 33-4, National Champions. I'm sure I'll get a lot of feedback on this ranking from the SC fans, but I thought they were a streaky team that got hot at the right moment and also caught a couple of huge breaks. They won the title and were a very deserving champion, as Dawn restructured the team after Coates went down which allowed Davis to shine. She also made a great move to have Harris be the lead PG over BCM. Wilson turned into a monster too and was an absolute workhorse inside. So why aren't they higher? They were inconsistent. Lost by double digits to Duke, couldn't stay competitive against UCONN, lost at home to a weak Tennessee team, and also lost to a mediocre Missouri team. In the tournament, I thought they caught a huge break when Brianna Turner injured her ACL. If she's healthy, ND likely beats Stanford, and ND would've been a much tougher matchup for SC than Stanford was. Then the major break they caught was avoiding UCONN, a team they were never competitive with, and instead faced a team they had beat 3x that season.

9. 2011 Stanford, 33-3, Final Four. I know I'll get flack for putting them ahead of Texas A&M who beat them, but overall on the year they were the better team. This may have been Tara's best team she's put together at Stanford. They had Pohlen outside, the Ogwumikes inside along with inside out threat Kayla Pederson. They lost on a layup with 3 seconds left after having a 10 point lead late against A&M...tough way to go out. On the year they handily beat UCONN, blew out Xavier by 37 (with Phillips/Harris), beat UCLA (3 seed that year) 3x, and had very few close calls. Their only close calls were the Final Four loss, an early season OT loss at Tennessee back when Tennessee actually had a really good squad (#1 seed, 34-3 on the year), and a close win over North Carolina in the Sweet 16. They did have a bad loss early in the year, but after shaking that off, they were rock solid the rest of the season.

10. 2013 Notre Dame, 35-2, Final Four. This was one of the best crunch time teams we've seen in women's basketball. They were not imposing on paper, and when you watched them they never looked like a dominant team, but they just knew how to win and won with great consistency. They only lost to Griner and Stewart led teams. They beat UCONN three times that year and waltzed through a good Big East Conference. Their inability to slow Stewart in the semifinals paired with awful shooting nights for Diggins/Loyd/McBride ended up being their undoing, but I thought this was one of Muffet's best coaching jobs.

11. 2011 Baylor, 34-3, Elite 8. Baylor was strong all year, but in hindsight, the Elite 8 exit shouldn't have been very surprising. They had numerous close calls throughout the year and lost by double digits to a mediocre Texas Tech team late in the season. Griner was far from a finished product as a sophomore, and the team struggled scoring against good teams. They never cracked 70 against at top 10 team. That said, they were a very good team and I thought they had a great shot to win it all that season. I have them above A&M because they beat them 3x that year and I think they were a better team overall despite losing that night.

12. 2011 Texas A&M, 33-5, National Champions. I'm not sure they should be this low considering they won it all (and beat both teams ranked above them en route to the title), but most of the year they just didn't look very strong. They lost 3x to Baylor, lost to Duke, and lost to unranked Kansas State very late in the season. By the end of the year they pulled it together and absolutely deserved the championship, but I don't think they're better than most teams on the list. They were ranked 5th-8th the entire year until the final poll.

13. 2015 Notre Dame, 36-3, Runner Up. They were streaky the first half of the season but really caught their stride after their embarrassing loss to Miami. Talent wise, they were really solid. Turner, Loyd, Allen, Reimer was good that year, plus solid role players on the roster too. They put up a good fight against one of the classic dominant UCONN teams.

14. 2012 Stanford, 35-2, Final Four. Only losses all year were to Connecticut and Baylor. They were led by the Ogwumike sisters, and they were very good once again. Their downfall this season was they didn't have any viable perimeter scorers and Chiney couldn't score against good teams, so when they faced UCONN/Baylor, they were one dimensional with Nneka. They also played a very light schedule, with the only strong opponents in the regular season being Tennessee and Connecticut. Again, to their credit, 36-2 is fantastic, plus they were competitive with Baylor in the semis.

15. 2012 Notre Dame, 35-4, Runner Up. Another great ND team that was loaded with experience and made a good run for the title. 3 wins against UCONN, plus they absolutely crushed Maryland and Tennessee. Lineup was solid all around with Diggins, McBride, Novosel, and Peters leading the way. Not sure they should be ahead of or behind 2012 Stanford, but they were a great team. In the finals, their shortcoming was Dev Peters inability to avoid fouls. She picked up 4 founds in maybe 10 minutes of play. When she was on the court, ND did quite well and she held her own against Griner. They were only down 3 in the second half when she picked up her fourth, and after that Baylor went on a massive run and had no answer for Griner.

HM:
2016 ND, 33-2, Sweet 16-a really good team that played well together and appeared to be on a collision course with UCONN for a rematch in the title. Stanford had a Louisville-esque performance and pulled the upset in the Sweet 16. They gave UCONN probably their best game of the year in the regular season, too.

2016 SC, 33-2, Sweet 16-one of Dawn's better teams that she's coached. They were fantastic all year besides a poor game against Connecticut. That was their only loss up until the Sweet 16. This was the year Wilson really came into her own, and they had a very strong roster with her, Coates, and Mitchell.

2015 SC, 34-3, Sweet 16-another one of Dawn's better teams. Very good all season long and they were ranked #1 most of the season. Very similar roster to the 2016 team, but made it 2 rounds further. They nearly knocked off Notre Dame in the Final Four in a classic.

2017 ND, 33-4, Elite 8-I feel like I'm getting quite repetitive here, but this ND team was very good and likely makes the Final Four with a healthy Turner. They definitely had their ups and downs (2nd round OT game, losing to Tennessee), but I don't think there was ever a question that they were one of the best teams in the country that year.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I actually think 2017 SC is appropriately ranked. That 2017 team probably had one of the better starting 5s in the last 10 or so years of WCBB but like you said, horribly inconsistent. It was a team of four ball dominant players (FIVE, if you include the time when Cuevas was at point) learning on the fly essentially. I would’ve liked to see what this team could’ve been had Gray and Davis returned and Cuevas-Moore not been injured.. with a year of in-game familiarity under their belt.. 2018 SC would’ve been VERY good and maybe top 5 on this list.

FWIW, 2015 SC is still one of my favorite teams. I’ll never completely get over that Final Four loss to ND.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Strong list, and I think it's notable that 3/7 teams were in the final four THIS YEAR. Just shows what an incredible--and talented--final four this year was.

While I certainly understand the high ranking for this year's ND team, I felt before the final four that they were less talented than a lot of the ND teams listed above. But given the talent in this year's final four, they certainly earned the placement.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Strong list, and I think it's notable that 3/7 teams were in the final four THIS YEAR. Just shows what an incredible--and talented--final four this year was.

While I certainly understand the high ranking for this year's ND team, I felt before the final four that they were less talented than a lot of the ND teams listed above. But given the talent in this year's final four, they certainly earned the placement.

Agreed. If they had been upset in the regionals, I don't think they make the list. The definitely proved how good they were the last 4 games of the year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I actually think 2017 SC is appropriately ranked. That 2017 team probably had one of the better starting 5s in the last 10 or so years of WCBB but like you said, horribly inconsistent. It was a team of four ball dominant players (FIVE, if you include the time when Cuevas was at point) learning on the fly essentially. I would’ve liked to see what this team could’ve been had Gray and Davis returned and Cuevas-Moore not been injured.. with a year of in-game familiarity under their belt.. 2018 SC would’ve been VERY good and maybe top 5 on this list.

FWIW, 2015 SC is still one of my favorite teams. I’ll never completely get over that Final Four loss to ND.

Agree about 2018 SC....they would've had a good shot to repeat had those players come back. Davis/Gray/Wilson would've been a three headed monster and BCM would've added strong perimeter shooting, too. Ty Harris is a very good PG and wouldn't have to shoulder as big of a scoring load as she did this year.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
and 2010 Appel played in the tournament with a broken foot....also, what could have been: I attended 2012 FF in Denver, and Stanford was beating Baylor in the first half. Nneka eventually realized how to score on Griner but Chiney (bad knee and all) fouled out and didn't score much, as referenced above.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Baylor 2012 is the slam dunk #1. And it's really not close for me.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Most off seasons, there seem to be a thread or two on what was the best UCONN team or ranking them in order. This is going to be a long off season, and I'm bored, so I thought I'd start this thread to help pass the time.

The last ten years have been thoroughly dominated by UCONN (10 Final Fours, 6 titles, 370-14 record, etc), but there have been a lot of really good teams the past decade that don't get a whole lot of credit, either because they were overshadowed by UCONN, had injury issues, or another reason. Here is how I'd rank the best non UCONN teams from this era:

1. 2014 Notre Dame, they finished 37-1 and were one of the best offensive teams ever. Incredibly efficient, they shot over 50% from the floor, 40% from 3, and 75% from the line. Every starter had a positive assist/TO ratio and they were extremely dominant the entire season, winning 35 of their 37 games by double figures. Their only close call was against a very good Maryland team that made the Final Four with Alyssa Thomas and Lexie Brown. Their downfall was that they lost Achonwa and ended up getting blown out by one of the best UCONN teams ever. I do think UCONN wins it all even if Achonwa was healthy, but Stewart/Dolson had an absolute field day going up against freshman Taya Reimer and exploited that matchup from the get go. ND had 3 All Americans on the top 3 AP teams and had all the pieces to win it all in most years. I rank them over Baylor because I thought they were more dominant overall than the Bears were. In 2012 Baylor also didn't have to face a UCONN team with the likes of Stewart or Moore on the roster. At any rate, I think this was the best team Muffet ever had.

2. 2012 Baylor, they went 40-0 en route to a dominant championship. One of the better defensive teams women's basketball has seen, they were led by the incredibly dominant Brittney Griner. She made a big jump in her offensive ability from 2011 to 2012, and Sims also emerged as one of the top point guards in the country this year. Baylor was loaded with good role player supporting their 2 stars, none of whom were flashy, but all were effective. They played great basketball at the end of the season, shutting down the Ogwumikes, blasting a talented Tennessee team in the Elite 8 and using a dominant 2nd half to crush Notre Dame by 19. They did have the luxury of not facing a UCONN team with a mega superstar, but to their credit, they beat UCONN in the regular season and even if UCONN did have a mega superstar, I'm not sure they would've had an answer for Griner.

3. 2013 Baylor, 34-2, Sweet 16, similar to 2012....they were one of the more dominant teams we've seen in women's basketball. Virtually the same roster, but with a good freshman PG in Niya Johnson. They did have 2 losses, but one was when they played without Odyssey Sims and the other was the infamous Louisville game. I do think this squad overall was more dominant then the 2011-12 roster when they played their best, but I can't rank them above 2011-12 who went undefeated while this squad lost in the Sweet 16. Statistically, this team was definitely better offensively than 2011-12. Some may criticize putting this squad over other championship teams, but Baylor was solidly the #1 team almost the entire season and were viewed as the team to beat the entire year. Louisville needed a straight up miracle (plus some questionable calls/no calls) to pull off the upset. If that didn't happen, Baylor would've likely steamrolled to the title game and faced UCONN in a showdown.

4. 2018 Notre Dame, 35-3, National Champion. Notre Dame had many moments throughout the season where they looked shaky (their 4th quarter meltdown vs. UCONN, 33 point loss to Louisville and down by 23 to Tennessee for starters), but they persevered through adversity and proved they were an outstanding team capable of beating anyone. They had an absolutely brutal path to win the championship. They had to face:
-Texas A&M, a very good 4 seed who came close to beating ND in the Sweet 16 led by Carter, Williams and Howard

They were a really unique team in that weren't going to beat you with size or athleticism, but seemingly found a way through sheer effort, smarts and playing within themselves. They got the job done agains the best competition, so that's why I have them here.

5. 2018 Mississippi State, 37-2 and the runner up. Like 2018 Notre Dame, players on the team knew their role and played within themselves. The championship game was a tad strange since the offensive plan became "pound it into McCowan" rather than running their weave offense and utilizing great three point shooters and Vivians/Johnson/William off the dribble. When they ran their normal offense, they were effective, especially with McCowan cleaning up everything inside. Once they got away from that, they struggled. Overall on the season, I thought they were a very complete team in all areas. They had strong weapons in all 5 starters and McCowan was a matchup nightmare for all opposing teams. Vic really maximized the talent on his roster, and they waltzed through a good SEC, finishing the regular season undefeated. If they win the title, I'd bump them up to number 3. The no-call on Mabrey was brutal, but in reality Mississippi State just stopped executing in the 4th and looked lost on the offensive end. They had their chances but didn't capitalize like they had all season long.

6. 2010 Stanford, 36-2, national runner up. First thing worth noting is that Stanford very possibly goes undefeated if there isn't Connecticut. They were 36-0 against everyone else, 0-2 vs the Huskies. They had a loaded roster with Appel, Nneka, Pederson and Pohlen...just a really had a fantastic season. Their record may be a tad inflated since the only good teams they played prior to the tournament were Tennessee, Duke, Gonzaga and UCONN. They also probably should have lost the regional final to Xavier if it weren't for 2 wide open blown layups at the end of the game. In the title game, everyone remembers how bad UCONN was in the first half....but Stanford really wasn't much better, only scoring 20 points. Their offense was completely shut down by UCONN. The second half, their struggles continued and they had scored just 31 total points until there were 2.5 minutes left and the game was out of reach. I think if they played in a tougher conference, they may have lost another game or 2, but for all the criticism I've given them, they really were a very strong team.

7. 2018 Louisville, 36-3, Final Four. I'm hard on Walz, but they were fantastic this season. They played a strong schedule and managed to come out with just 2 losses in the regular season and lost a heart breaker in the Final Four to Mississippi State, also on a somewhat questionable no call at the end of regulation. They weren't a dominant team most of the year, but they proved they could hang with anyone and gut out close wins. If they knocked off Mississippi State, I do think they would've beat Notre Dame a 3rd time, especially after seeing how much Mabrey struggled against their quick guards. Really is crazy how close the Final Four was this year.

8. 2017 South Carolina, 33-4, National Champions. I'm sure I'll get a lot of feedback on this ranking from the SC fans, but I thought they were a streaky team that got hot at the right moment and also caught a couple of huge breaks. They won the title and were a very deserving champion, as Dawn restructured the team after Coates went down which allowed Davis to shine. She also made a great move to have Harris be the lead PG over BCM. Wilson turned into a monster too and was an absolute workhorse inside. So why aren't they higher? They were inconsistent. Lost by double digits to Duke, couldn't stay competitive against UCONN, lost at home to a weak Tennessee team, and also lost to a mediocre Missouri team. In the tournament, I thought they caught a huge break when Brianna Turner injured her ACL. If she's healthy, ND likely beats Stanford, and ND would've been a much tougher matchup for SC than Stanford was. Then the major break they caught was avoiding UCONN, a team they were never competitive with, and instead faced a team they had beat 3x that season.

9. 2011 Stanford, 33-3, Final Four. I know I'll get flack for putting them ahead of Texas A&M who beat them, but overall on the year they were the better team. This may have been Tara's best team she's put together at Stanford. They had Pohlen outside, the Ogwumikes inside along with inside out threat Kayla Pederson. They lost on a layup with 3 seconds left after having a 10 point lead late against A&M...tough way to go out. On the year they handily beat UCONN, blew out Xavier by 37 (with Phillips/Harris), beat UCLA (3 seed that year) 3x, and had very few close calls. Their only close calls were the Final Four loss, an early season OT loss at Tennessee back when Tennessee actually had a really good squad (#1 seed, 34-3 on the year), and a close win over North Carolina in the Sweet 16. They did have a bad loss early in the year, but after shaking that off, they were rock solid the rest of the season.

10. 2013 Notre Dame, 35-2, Final Four. This was one of the best crunch time teams we've seen in women's basketball. They were not imposing on paper, and when you watched them they never looked like a dominant team, but they just knew how to win and won with great consistency. They only lost to Griner and Stewart led teams. They beat UCONN three times that year and waltzed through a good Big East Conference. Their inability to slow Stewart in the semifinals paired with awful shooting nights for Diggins/Loyd/McBride ended up being their undoing, but I thought this was one of Muffet's best coaching jobs.

11. 2011 Baylor, 34-3, Elite 8. Baylor was strong all year, but in hindsight, the Elite 8 exit shouldn't have been very surprising. They had numerous close calls throughout the year and lost by double digits to a mediocre Texas Tech team late in the season. Griner was far from a finished product as a sophomore, and the team struggled scoring against good teams. They never cracked 70 against at top 10 team. That said, they were a very good team and I thought they had a great shot to win it all that season. I have them above A&M because they beat them 3x that year and I think they were a better team overall despite losing that night.

12. 2011 Texas A&M, 33-5, National Champions. I'm not sure they should be this low considering they won it all (and beat both teams ranked above them en route to the title), but most of the year they just didn't look very strong. They lost 3x to Baylor, lost to Duke, and lost to unranked Kansas State very late in the season. By the end of the year they pulled it together and absolutely deserved the championship, but I don't think they're better than most teams on the list. They were ranked 5th-8th the entire year until the final poll.

13. 2015 Notre Dame, 36-3, Runner Up. They were streaky the first half of the season but really caught their stride after their embarrassing loss to Miami. Talent wise, they were really solid. Turner, Loyd, Allen, Reimer was good that year, plus solid role players on the roster too. They put up a good fight against one of the classic dominant UCONN teams.

14. 2012 Stanford, 35-2, Final Four. Only losses all year were to Connecticut and Baylor. They were led by the Ogwumike sisters, and they were very good once again. Their downfall this season was they didn't have any viable perimeter scorers and Chiney couldn't score against good teams, so when they faced UCONN/Baylor, they were one dimensional with Nneka. They also played a very light schedule, with the only strong opponents in the regular season being Tennessee and Connecticut. Again, to their credit, 36-2 is fantastic, plus they were competitive with Baylor in the semis.

15. 2012 Notre Dame, 35-4, Runner Up. Another great ND team that was loaded with experience and made a good run for the title. 3 wins against UCONN, plus they absolutely crushed Maryland and Tennessee. Lineup was solid all around with Diggins, McBride, Novosel, and Peters leading the way. Not sure they should be ahead of or behind 2012 Stanford, but they were a great team. In the finals, their shortcoming was Dev Peters inability to avoid fouls. She picked up 4 founds in maybe 10 minutes of play. When she was on the court, ND did quite well and she held her own against Griner. They were only down 3 in the second half when she picked up her fourth, and after that Baylor went on a massive run and had no answer for Griner.

HM:
2016 ND, 33-2, Sweet 16-a really good team that played well together and appeared to be on a collision course with UCONN for a rematch in the title. Stanford had a Louisville-esque performance and pulled the upset in the Sweet 16. They gave UCONN probably their best game of the year in the regular season, too.

2016 SC, 33-2, Sweet 16-one of Dawn's better teams that she's coached. They were fantastic all year besides a poor game against Connecticut. That was their only loss up until the Sweet 16. This was the year Wilson really came into her own, and they had a very strong roster with her, Coates, and Mitchell.

2015 SC, 34-3, Sweet 16-another one of Dawn's better teams. Very good all season long and they were ranked #1 most of the season. Very similar roster to the 2016 team, but made it 2 rounds further. They nearly knocked off Notre Dame in the Final Four in a classic.

2017 ND, 33-4, Elite 8-I feel like I'm getting quite repetitive here, but this ND team was very good and likely makes the Final Four with a healthy Turner. They definitely had their ups and downs (2nd round OT game, losing to Tennessee), but I don't think there was ever a question that they were one of the best teams in the country that year.

Wow, this is impressive. Thanks for doing so. Just going to offer a few thoughts:

- While I believe the 2014 ND team was, indeed, one of Muffet's best ever, I've got to give #1 rating to the 2012 Baylor team for the undefeated season, sealing the deal and being so very dominant. The NC game was one of the few games that I felt ND had no chance of winning. Griner was all so good.

- Hearing Natalie "Ace" Achonwa scream in pain at the end of the Elite 8 game vs. Baylor was horrible and excruciating for her and painful for all ND fans. While they rebounded well against Maryland in the semi's, they needed Ace to be able to go up against that very strong UConn team. She was not only a fine individual player, but the emotional leader of that team.

- After the initial setbacks early in the season, I've come to think the short roster of the 2018 season helped ND. As Kara Lawson noted, the Irish might've only had six or seven players left, but almost all of them are/were McDonald's All-Americans. MM had to play them, whereas in the past she'd take folks out after a mistake or two. As a result, they got a good grip on how to make it work, game in and game out. Tremendous synergy. They all took turns having standout games. It will be be interesting seeing what happens with substitution patterns when the reinforcements arrive next year.

- Just wanted to point out that one of the key role players of the 2015 ND team -- Maddie Cable -- is still probably an unprintable word in South Carolina; and, went to be the leader of that 2016 team, which had no right doing as well as it did, save for great team interplay and leadership by Mabrey1 (Michaela) and Cable.

- The Texas A&M team was tenacious in guard play Only in retrospect did I see how they could've thrown Skylar Diggins off balance, but I saw it through Mississippi State. Vic Schaefer coordinated that defense for the Aggies when he was Blair's defensive whiz and brought it east to Starkville. Well done

Thanks again for this...great prep for jumping into the weekend.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
Honestly, 2012 and 2013 Baylor are probably 1-2 for me.

Them losing in 2013 was just as shocking as if UConn would've lost during Stewie's SR year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Baylor 2012 vs ND 2014 was a tough call...ultimately it came down to consistency. ND had just 1 really tight game all year (road game against a Final Four team) and one game that was tight until the last few minutes (Virginia). Every game was a comfortable double digit win, and they dominated a good ACC. I don't think you can hold the UCONN loss against them considering they were without Achonwa and UCONN had one of its best teams ever. I think they were more complete too....they had such a good combination of inside out threats, plus a fantastic passing post player in Achonwa. I think they were sorely underrated because they didn't finish the deal.

2012 Baylor obviously went undefeated and had the most physically imposing player ever, but they had more close calls. The Tennessee game was very close until the end, same with games against UCONN and Texas Tech. I'm getting nitpicky here, plus I think Muffet is a better coach than Kim, so there's probably some bias on my end, but I think it's close. Both were incredible teams though in hindsight.

Honestly though, I think at their peak, 2013 Baylor was better than either of these teams, but the Stanford and Louisville losses forced me to put them below these two. They were just dominant on both ends of the court and Griner was truly a force of nature that year. Even when they were down 20 to Louisville, I still thought Baylor was going to win the game....and they nearly did.

Reaction Score

HM:

You win my vote for best new off season thread!

the Q

Reaction Score
Baylor 2012 vs ND 2014 was a tough call...ultimately it came down to consistency. ND had just 1 really tight game all year (road game against a Final Four team) and one game that was tight until the last few minutes (Virginia). Every game was a comfortable double digit win, and they dominated a good ACC. I don't think you can hold the UCONN loss against them considering they were without Achonwa and UCONN had one of its best teams ever. I think they were more complete too....they had such a good combination of inside out threats, plus a fantastic passing post player in Achonwa. I think they were sorely underrated because they didn't finish the deal.

2012 Baylor obviously went undefeated and had the most physically imposing player ever, but they had more close calls. The Tennessee game was very close until the end, same with games against UCONN and Texas Tech. I'm getting nitpicky here, plus I think Muffet is a better coach than Kim, so there's probably some bias on my end, but I think it's close. Both were incredible teams though in hindsight.

Honestly though, I think at their peak, 2013 Baylor was better than either of these teams, but the Stanford and Louisville losses forced me to put them below these two. They were just dominant on both ends of the court and Griner was truly a force of nature that year. Even when they were down 20 to Louisville, I still thought Baylor was going to win the game....and they nearly did.

Didn’t Griner or sims not play in the Stanford game?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Wow, this is impressive. Thanks for doing so. Just going to offer a few thoughts:

- While I believe the 2014 ND team was, indeed, one of Muffet's best ever, I've got to give #1 rating to the 2012 Baylor team for the undefeated season, sealing the deal and being so very dominant. The NC game was one of the few games that I felt ND had no chance of winning. Griner was all so good.

- Hearing Natalie "Ace" Achonwa scream in pain at the end of the Elite 8 game vs. Baylor was horrible and excruciating for her and painful for all ND fans. While they rebounded well against Maryland in the semi's, they needed Ace to be able to go up against that very strong UConn team. She was not only a fine individual player, but the emotional leader of that team.

- After the initial setbacks early in the season, I've come to think the short roster of the 2018 season helped ND. As Kara Lawson noted, the Irish might've only had six or seven players left, but almost all of them are/were McDonald's All-Americans. MM had to play them, whereas in the past she'd take folks out after a mistake or two. As a result, they got a good grip on how to make it work, game in and game out. Tremendous synergy. They all took turns having standout games. It will be be interesting seeing what happens with substitution patterns when the reinforcements arrive next year.

- Just wanted to point out that one of the key role players of the 2015 ND team -- Maddie Cable -- is still probably an unprintable word in South Carolina; and, went to be the leader of that 2016 team, which had no right doing as well as it did, save for great team interplay and leadership by Mabrey1 (Michaela) and Cable.

- The Texas A&M team was tenacious in guard play Only in retrospect did I see how they could've thrown Skylar Diggins off balance, but I saw it through Mississippi State. Vic Schaefer coordinated that defense for the Aggies when he was Blair's defensive whiz and brought it east to Starkville. Well done

In regards to the Achonwa comment--without her, ND knew they had an uphill battle from the get go. The first three possessions were all easy buckets for UCONN post players. After 2 minutes, McBride lost the ball out of bounds and was visibly quite upset, pounding the basketball on the ground. You could see she knew they had to pretty much play a perfect game to hang with the Huskies without Achonwa. Achonwa likely would've settled everyone down and would've been a much better post defender than the freshman Taya Reimer. Loyd also forced some pretty bad shots that game too which was out of character for her, another sign of a player being a little tense/going away from what worked all year. Not saying Achonwa changes the result, but I have no doubt the game plan by Geno and Muffet would've been a lot different with her out there.

Also, in regards to the shortened lineup in 2017-18 vs. having a deeper roster next year...I am also curious to see how things pan out for ND. Adding more players doesn't always mean they'll be better. This year Collier didn't play as well with Stevens in the mix, and Gabby had some confidence issues that weren't apparent at all the year before. Another example is in 2001, UCONN was not nearly as good as they were in 2000, and it was virtually the same roster but they added DT. Same as 1998 Tennessee to 1999 Tennessee...virtually identical rosters but 99 added Michelle Snow, and Tennessee just wasn't as good that year.

A lot of players play better when their backs are against the wall and they know they have to make plays because there isn't anyone else who can. To some extent, when there's good competition for a position, it can cause a player to play a little tight knowing their spot isn't guaranteed, or they think someone else will step up rather than just going in for the kill. ND definitely went in for the kill this year, we'll see if they're able to do the same next.

Reaction Score
I would have Baylor #1 & #2, and I'd move ND 2018 down a few spots. The Irish peaked at the very right time, but were not dominant up to that point.
I would have the 2013 ND team higher, probably #3.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Didn’t Griner or sims not play in the Stanford game?

Sims only played 4 minutes. Even without her, I thought Baylor should have beat Stanford.

the Q

Reaction Score
Sims only played 4 minutes. Even without her, I thought Baylor should have beat Stanford.

Ah she got hurt in that game. Idk thats a pretty big blow.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Ah she got hurt in that game. Idk thats a pretty big blow.
It was a big blow. Even if you take that away, it's just hard for me to put them over the 2012 team who finished the job, or 2014 ND who was perfect until they had an injury and then faced one of the best teams ever. All three were fantastic though, I think those would be the consensus top 3 teams.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty good list. Wow, in 10 years UConn has won 6 titles, lost in the semifinals 4 year with 3 of the losses coming in OT. That's amazing.

2012 Baylor is number 1 without a doubt and I'm inclined to give 2013 the No. 2 ranking in spite of the Sweet 16 loss. UConn peaked at the right time for sure to win that title and Louisville played the game of their lives to knock out Baylor. No one will ever know if Baylor beats UConn in the finals but I do think it's worthy debate.

2014 ND is probably No. 3 for me given they had all the tools a team usually has to win. Achonwa playing would have no doubt helped but unfortunately injuries happen. 2010 Stanford was probably Tara's best team in years but an injured Appel combined with a dreadful offensive performance sealed their fate.

This was a great reminder of some of the great teams of the past decade and that while it's been dominated by UConn, ND, Baylor, SC, Stanford, Louisville and Mississippi State have all joined the party.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

“Madison Cable” is swear word around Colonial Life Arena.. lol but seriously, that was one of the most heartbreaking games I’ve experienced so far as a Gamecock WBB fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom