OT: Best hot dogs | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Best hot dogs

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Disagree completely. They use Hummels. deep fry first then on the grill to perfection. I recommend a chili cheese dog with bacon and onion but also good plain
gotta luv all the park city and its environs respect here, proving once again, if there is a cuisine anywhere on the planet, metro bport is the place to find an A+ representative for it. I think the kids in bport area have to pass a final exam on 'favorite hotdog' before they are allowed to graduate. not sure if that one happens before or after the pizza final. of course, there is the 'most bangin' burrito' song that they have to learn for midterms. hey Bridgeport dog aficionados! what does going to 'the Greeks' mean to youse?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Update: Blackies still has great dogs and relish. Just had a couple for the first time in years. Might have been better than how I remembered it.

Ive got the original Blackies relish recipe. We usually make 40-50 jars every other year. I wont put anything else on a dog. I straight up travel with it.

Reaction Score
Chez Lenard in Ridgefield, CT have the best hot dogs in the state. If you ever visit CTs #1 town this is a must have.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Went to the in laws yesterday. Never a culinary treat watching a drunk guy grill frozen burgers to a rare patty. But yetserday I made fresh patties and timed his flips. Very tasty.

BUT...then he broke out the worst dog I have had in years. Hebrew National Beef franks. Just nasty.
bet your wife loves your comments!!!

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
As the former owner of Rosco's Big Dog and a hot dog connoisseur, your next two choices are Thumann's first, then Hoffman's. Pork & Beef Natural Casing. They will be the closest to Miller and Hummel.
Let me know how it works out.
Howdie Rosco. Can I get a Der Fiedler dog and Fries?

Reactions: RON
Reaction Score
Youre in Florida. Im a born and bred New York city boy. Next you will be telling me Pensacolas best Pizza places and how they are better than New Haven.

When I need some opinion on fried alligator nuggets, Ill come your way in a thread and defer.
I'll save you the trouble....Fried alligator body parts are horrible... and it doesn't matter how they're cooked... there's almost as many places called Gators as there are Mcdonald's down here and they all suck.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Fried alligator body parts are horrible... and it doesn't matter how they're cooked... there's almost as many places called Gators as there are Mcdonald's and they all suck.

I though it "tasted like chicken"?

:)

Reaction Score
Alligator tastes like alligator, which tastes like snake which tastes like frog. All are gross, none were meant for human consumption in my opinion. Of those, frog is the grossest and yet somehow, the most widely accepted as food.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Hebrew Nationals are delicious. They aren’t a Hummel or a Grote, but they are tasty.

Probably the best supermarket brand you can find nationally distributted. Since they don't have a natural casing they are best well done....

Reaction Score
Ive got the original Blackies relish recipe. We usually make 40-50 jars every other year. I wont put anything else on a dog. I straight up travel with it.
Share?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll save you the trouble....Fried alligator body parts are horrible... and it doesn't matter how they're cooked... there's almost as many places called Gators as there are Mcdonald's down here and they all suck.
I though it "tasted like chicken"?

:)

Maybe vulcanized rubber chicken.

I've tried enough fried gator from enough run down shanties or huts to know it's not my cup of tea.

You know you're eating something not good when it's mandatory to have some mayonnaise based dipping sauce with some sort of creole/cajun/old Bay/etc seasoning sprinkled on it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe vulcanized rubber chicken.

I've tried enough fried gator from enough run down shanties or buts to know it's not my cup of tea.

You know you're eating something not good when it's mandatory to have some mayonnaise based dipping sauce with some sort of creole/cajun/old Bay/etc seasoning sprinkled on it.

I've had fried gator a couple times and it tastes like a hunk of pork chop fat.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The only good tasting thing I've had involving alligator is the Shrimp & Alligator Sausage Cheesecake at Jacques Imo's in New Orleans. Sounds disgusting I know, but it is really good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought the Landing Zone did tasty gator bites. The remoulade was outstanding.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I live in a veritable hot dog wasteland. About the only ones I can get are the national packaged brands, or maybe Boar's Head.

As for ketchup, I like almost anything on hot dogs. Jalapeno mustard, extra sharp cheddar cheese, onions (raw or grilled), sauerkraut, hot relishes, chili, pickles, ketchup, hot sauce, etc. What really got me was about 10 years ago I went to lunch with a friend of mine who's originally from northern Louisiana. I put ketchup on a cheeseburger and he almost flipped out. "Why would anyone put ketchup on a cheeseburger?", he asked. He acted like I was committing a mortal sin. I've never seen anyone react that way to ketchup on a cheeseburger. I can't imagine how he would have reacted if I had put ketchup on a hot dog. It's not like I was pouring it on a filet mignon steak. I don't eat at McDonald's anymore, but didn't they used to automatically put ketchup, mustard and pickles on most of their burgers, unless you told them not to?
I'll pray for you.;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
More on topic, I have had some gator sausage that was pretty tasty.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
The only good tasting thing I've had involving alligator is the Shrimp & Alligator Sausage Cheesecake at Jacques Imo's in New Orleans. Sounds disgusting I know, but it is really good.

good, but doesn't hold a candle to the fried roast beef poor boy, godzilla meets fried green tomato, or the fried chicken at Jacques :drool: or the back patio at the Leaf afterwards ;-)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I just ate this SOB for lunch today. Jaxson's in Dania Beach, FL. They got rid of my favorite chicago dog and I opted for this. Great dog and fresh baked bread to boot.

View attachment 55371
With that mask to the side of those plates, you're working on a Corona Meme... something about a sure sign that you've got mixed feelings about taking care of your health...

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Hey @RON I've seen your dog hunts on FB and do consider you a dog connoisseur. With that said, dig into the recesses of your brain and tell me what you think are the top 3 dogs that I can get in CT. I tend towards the Mucke Natural Casing which I can get at Stop & Shop, but would be interested in your thoughts. Also, which dog did Rosco's use?
Long Live Rosco's Big Dog.

Reactions: RON

RON

Reaction Score
Hey @RON I've seen your dog hunts on FB and do consider you a dog connoisseur. With that said, dig into the recesses of your brain and tell me what you think are the top 3 dogs that I can get in CT. I tend towards the Mucke Natural Casing which I can get at Stop & Shop, but would be interested in your thoughts. Also, which dog did Rosco's use?
Long Live Rosco's Big Dog.
I posted my top three.
1. Thumanns (Rosco's used this dog). Usually only able to find in the Southeast corner of Connecticut.
2. Hummel Bros. You should be able to find these throughout the state.
3. Hoffman's. I know I've found these is CT. Check Price Chopper.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom