Best High School BB Coach Ever in the State of Connecticut | The Boneyard

Best High School BB Coach Ever in the State of Connecticut

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun began his coaching career at Lyme-Old Lyme High School in Old Lyme, CT, but he was 1-17 and then went back to MA, so I'm not sure that would qualify him.

Vito Montelli from St. Joseph's in Trumbull had an impressive run back in the day. I didn't like him though.

Reaction Score
Realistically, it's probably some coach from a tiny school we don't think of as a powerhouse. You don't get to choose your talent at the vast majority of high schools. A coach who maximizes their talent at a tiny school might still only go 12-12, even if they are a brilliant coach.

Reaction Score
I know this isn’t about NY, but felt it worthwhile to mention the High School I attended has (had?) the winningest coach in NY State history. Unfortunate that he retired before I got to play there. His name is Ed Petrie btw, I wonder if anyone here has heard of him.

Reaction Score
Frank Crisafi, East Haven, deserves mention. Had a 77 game winning streak from 53-56 that stood until Corny Thompson Middleton team eclipsed it with an 80 game win streak

Career record of 525-196 and all 6 of east haven's state titles

Reaction Score
John Pinone from Cromwell. He also played basketball at Villanova in the early 80's.

His son is at RHAM now. John is Definitely a contender for best coach. Potentially the thing against him would be the tiny conference. He's always had the best talent in that conference which makes boosting his record easier

Reaction Score
Sam Bender - Hillhouse
Sal Verderame - Wilbur Cross

But I'm dating myself
Bender retired in 1965, and had coached as head coach at Hillhouse from 1940-1965. After that, for one year, he coached a semi-pro team known as the New Haven Elms, but his record for that year was 8-20. I went to a few games, and one of their best players was Wayne Lawrence from the New London area. They played at the old New Haven Arena, the same place where the New Haven Blades hockey team played.

Sal ("Red") Verderame coached at Wilbur Cross from 1953-66, and was the predecessor of Bob Saulsbury.

I too am dating myself as I remember that era very well.

Reaction Score
Kenny Smith from Windsor is an excellent coach
Coached against him in a U13 AAU tournament and he got EVERY call. I told one of the refs that I did not care who the other coach was he does not deserve every call. Ref said he didn't know who he was, I laughed and got T'd up. My kids got super fired up and we won the game.

Reaction Score
His son is at RHAM now. John is Definitely a contender for best coach. Potentially the thing against him would be the tiny conference. He's always had the best talent in that conference which makes boosting his record easier
Coaches a very physical style. Just like he played.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom