Best Game of The Year UConn vs Houston | The Boneyard

Best Game of The Year UConn vs Houston

Reaction Score
Houston is a very tough team;there can be no doubt. Ranked 21st in the nation, #1 in the conference, Hurley was quoted as saying they are a sweet 16 team. They are ferocious rebounders, I think 2nd in the nation in offensive rebounding, and here in our building they outrebounded us 41-32.

Tough, tough, opponent.

The crowd's electricity in the building was the best all year. The student section was packed all the way to the rafters, and THEY WERE LOUD! Every other seat sold out, this last home game of the season, and senior night to boot. UConn on a roll, winning 4 in a row, 8 of their last 11, and playing with the last of their regular season hopes for a post season tournament berth, against a Houston team trying to win the regular season conference title. Crucial games for both teams.

This UConn team has come a long way in two years, and this year we have watched the corner being turned, the program again looking like the winning program of olde, with championship aspirations, the zest for winning games, and a culture we love to see, of maximum effort, tenacity, brotherhood, outstanding defense, and the will and the talent, and the coaching, to win.

These players, this team, has exceeded early expectations. The individual growth, maturity, and development of several of these players has been remarkable. The skills and talent rising with playing time/game experience and a locked in focus by this 6 man coaching staff, who have infused this program with their vision of what championship culture looks and feels like, getting these players to buy in, the results more visible one game to the next as this season progresses.

This game was the pinnacle, so far this season, of a maturing team that has learned to win. The concentrated effort against Houston, the intensity level of each players effort and the team as a whole, matched against a Houston team that year in and year out is one of the toughest teams in the nation, provided the ingredients for a basketball game last night of the highest caliber, from start to finish. This game was the best 40 minutes I have seen played this year. Maybe being at the game had a lot to do with it, this was the best crowd of the year. Cincinnati was very good; this was better. We have had some overtime games too, and they were all good also, but as a team, right now, we are playing better than we have all season, and it was evident last night as we whupped up on Houston despite their best efforts, Bleed Blue!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In November I had a ticket to the Florida game, which was a Sunday afternoon, and I had my favorite seat in the house. But I was so disgusted after the St. Joe's loss, and the news that Bouknight would not be playing against Florida sealed the deal, so I decided to sell my ticket because I had no faith in the team and I didn't want to waste my Sunday on that. Of course we won that game and I regretted not going and losing faith.

I've had a few offers to attend games since (thanks @August_West ) and I had to pass on them for one reason or another, but I wasn't really looking for chances to get to games like I usually do.

Last night was a mid-week Gampel game, typically the hardest thing for me to pull off, and the least-desirable situation for me. But at the drop of a hat I took off early, met up with one of my best friends and made a great night of it.

I feel very fortunate to have been able to repent for my earlier lack of faith. Hurley is doing his job and the fans are responding en masse. I'm still getting goosebumps thinking about how electric it felt on campus last night. It truly feels like old times and like we've got something special again.

Reaction Score
On a more sobering note, 3D almost lost the game in the stretch. Trading 3s for 2s, or in this case FTs, doesn't work for long. Thank goodness CV has the Kemba / Bazz FT touch.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Houston is a very tough team;there can be no doubt. Ranked 21st in the nation, #1 in the conference, Hurley was quoted as saying they are a sweet 16 team. They are ferocious rebounders, I think 2nd in the nation in offensive rebounding, and here in our building they outrebounded us 41-32.

Tough, tough, opponent.

The crowd's electricity in the building was the best all year. The student section was packed all the way to the rafters, and THEY WERE LOUD! Every other seat sold out, this last home game of the season, and senior night to boot. UConn on a roll, winning 4 in a row, 8 of their last 11, and playing with the last of their regular season hopes for a post season tournament berth, against a Houston team trying to win the regular season conference title. Crucial games for both teams.

This UConn team has come a long way in two years, and this year we have watched the corner being turned, the program again looking like the winning program of olde, with championship aspirations, the zest for winning games, and a culture we love to see, of maximum effort, tenacity, brotherhood, outstanding defense, and the will and the talent, and the coaching, to win.

These players, this team, has exceeded early expectations. The individual growth, maturity, and development of several of these players has been remarkable. The skills and talent rising with playing time/game experience and a locked in focus by this 6 man coaching staff, who have infused this program with their vision of what championship culture looks and feels like, getting these players to buy in, the results more visible one game to the next as this season progresses.

This game was the pinnacle, so far this season, of a maturing team that has learned to win. The concentrated effort against Houston, the intensity level of each players effort and the team as a whole, matched against a Houston team that year in and year out is one of the toughest teams in the nation, provided the ingredients for a basketball game last night of the highest caliber, from start to finish. This game was the best 40 minutes I have seen played this year. Maybe being at the game had a lot to do with it, this was the best crowd of the year. Cincinnati was very good; this was better. We have had some overtime games too, and they were all good also, but as a team, right now, we are playing better than we have all season, and it was evident last night as we whupped up on Houston despite their best efforts, Bleed Blue!
Nicely written!

Reaction Score
Really great posts in this thread. Well done! Seems like that UConn degree developed sound writers.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Tough, tough, opponent.

I kind of held my breath reading this thread and hoping there wouldn't be someone who wrote, "You should stick to haiku."
Very nice to see compliments instead.

Thanks for the heartfelt check-ins from you and @8893.

Reaction Score
Really great posts in this thread. Well done! Seems like that UConn degree developed sound writers.

No likes to these extreme compliments?

Tough crowd, this op thread was one of the best written insightful comments of the year!!!! All I added was trying to compliment posters on their splendid posts.

Reaction Score
Kind of sad that the BY doesn't appreciate brilliance. But is is the internet so anything goes. Maybe if someone thru in geno sucks or Molly deserves more playing time it would have more responses. But I like where it stands, several very well written truthful inspired pieces that mean a lot to me. Bravo to the one who created this thread and the insightful ones who responded.

NAN - You have a hard job but this thread should make your month happy!!!!!.

ps I'm a bantam not a husky, but born and bread in Wethersfield, and from the ''''wes ballisunia years", have always been a supporter of my state school. Bleed Blue!

Sincerely,

Tom

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom