Best Freshman Class Ever? | The Boneyard

Best Freshman Class Ever?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Straight up, this class is ridiculously talented. Look at the standouts (stats rounded):

Paige Bueckers: 17 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, 53.6% FG, 47% 3pt for #3 team
Cameron Brink: 10 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, 64% FG for #6 team
Caitlin Clark: 26 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 45% FG
Kamila Cardoso: 14 points, 9 rebounds, 3 blocks, 59.6% FG
Diamond Johnson: 18 points, 4 rebounds, 53.6% FG
Hailey Van Lith: 12 points, 6 rebounds on #1 team
Tehina Pao Pao: 11 points, 5 assists for #11? team
Priscilla Williams: 11 points, 4 rebounds
Lexi Donarski: 13 points, 3 rebounds
Madison Scott: 11 points, 6 rebounds, 63% FG
Olivia Cochran: 12 points, 6 rebounds on #1 team
Maddy Westbeld: 15 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists
Sasha Goforth: 13 points, 3 rebounds

Charlisse Leger-Walker: 19 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals

(Angel Reese: 17 points, 8.7 boards, 2 blocks, 56% FG in three games before getting injured)

Those kids are the main standouts from HG top 25 (aside from CLW). 13 of the top 25 (14 including Reese) are averaging double figure scoring, and most of them are on teams that will compete in the NCAA tournament and likely will play in the Final Four. Lots of other really good players in the top 25 like Aaliyah Edwards, Sydney Parrish, Angela Dugalic, and Hannah Gusters. Both Deja Kelly and Dalayah Daniels are also averaging double figures, albeit with abysmal shooting percentages so I didn't include their numbers. Feel free to add any names I've missed.

This is one of the better freshman classes of all time that I can think of. Lots of quality kids taking on huge roles for very good teams. Last year's class was excellent too, but I can't recall a year where there have been so many freshman taking on go to roles or playing massive roles on top teams. I mean you look at someone like Olivia Cochran who I feel like no one is talking about, and she's the third leading scorer on the #1 team in the country. Any other season she'd be getting a lot more recognition. The one other year I can recall feeling extremely wowed by all of the freshmen was 2004-05 and 2000-01 which were both loaded with a ton of great players, but I think this class may rival those 2.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Though the sample size is very limited.... in my opinion PG Vanessa De Jesus of Duke has a bright future. Just 4 games averaged 12 points, 3.8 assists, 3.8 rebounds... 54.5% FG 50% on 3pters.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Thanks for putting this together. Agreed, this class is shaping up very nicely right away.

Just to add a couple more, it's a very small sample size, but Talia von Oelfhoffen graduated early so now is considered part of this class. In 2 games at Oregon St. she's already had a noticeable impact (9 pts/5 reb/4 assists, but game 2 was much better than game 1 so her stats might rise).

She wasn't rated anywhere probably, but heading into tonight's game Charlisse Leger-Walker was leading the Pac 12 in scoring for the surprisingly competitive Washington St. Cougars. Even w/ a poor game tonight she's averaging 19 ppg, although sub 40% shooting isn't great.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think a lot of these freshmen made good decisions and went to programs that not only did they like but where they were also really NEEDED and the playing time and impact reflects that. It also shows that while the top programs are still getting theirs.. WBB is getting to the point where the pool is getting deeper and talent is starting to spread out.

Reaction Score
More players are coming into college with highly developed individual skills. Players having individual trainers and playing year round ball even before the get into high school programs has become the rule rather than the exception. Have been trying to tell college fans that there is much less individual skill upside left in todays WCBB reality. Except for post players very little coaching up taking place. In college they basically learn to integrate their individual skills into the team concept and develop their BBIQ.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Thanks for putting this together. Agreed, this class is shaping up very nicely right away.

Just to add a couple more, it's a very small sample size, but Talia von Oelfhoffen graduated early so now is considered part of this class. In 2 games at Oregon St. she's already had a noticeable impact (9 pts/5 reb/4 assists, but game 2 was much better than game 1 so her stats might rise).

She wasn't rated anywhere probably, but heading into tonight's game Charlisse Leger-Walker was leading the Pac 12 in scoring for the surprisingly competitive Washington St. Cougars. Even w/ a poor game tonight she's averaging 19 ppg, although sub 40% shooting isn't great.
Forgot about her, ill add her. She's been phenomenal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom