images

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-10_2-47-31.jpeg
    upload_2014-11-10_2-47-31.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 28

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like any of the equipment with the fit woman. :)

Seriously, I think the elliptical machine or the multi-station weight apparatus is best. Watching what and how much you eat and drink really helps too. Walking is great and puts less stress on your joints. It's also inexpensive. Make sure you have good shoes. And be careful of traffic. You can walk hills and walk at a fast pace to get even more benefit. A combo of aerobic and weight bearing exercise is generally best. The weight work will help build muscle and speed your metabolism. If you want to start inexpensively, get a good pair of walking or running shoes and 3-4 pairs of dumbbells. The biggest key is regularity. Try for 20+ minutes 5 or 6 days a week.

If you want to be sure to follow through, report to the Boneyard on your progress each week. Or I'd be happy to coach you long distance.

Best wishes!!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Whatever you enjoy doing. Usage is everything. A word about ellipticals, make sure the stride length is comfortable for you. If it's too short, you'll stress your joints and stop using it. Ergo, the wife uses it.

I also have a multi station weight machine (weider), which I like very much. Doesn't do everything, but it does quite a bit.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I have had a treadmill in a spare bedroom for many years. During the summer we walk daily at a local track/park but once the weather gets cold and the days short I use the treadmill - at least 6 days a week. We had an elliptical trainer for a while but it saw little use. I found it tougher on my old knees than the treadmill. I also use wrist weights while walking. FWIW - and my wife thinks I'm crazy - I walk barefoot on the treadmill.

I find indoor exercise incredibly boring. An IPOD helps but a TV with wireless headphones is even better.

Whatever you decide on, you have to commit to using it.

Reaction Score
Nordic Trak for cardio in home. Truly a converted mid evil torture machine. Once you get over the hump and in a little cardio shape, it controls your weight wonderfully well.

Reaction Score
Stairs.... Price is right too.

I'm in S. Korea in one of their big high rises and walk from the basement garage to our place on the 12 floor. If I'm really feeling ambitious and can't get out to run I will walk up to the top floor (18th) take the elevator down and walk up again, sometimes three or four times - a good workout. I also have an old Concept 2 rowing machine (Model C) which is also great for winter exercise and which I very highly recommend (a little pricey though-mine was $700 ten years ago, have no idea what they cost now).

Reaction Score
A good elliptical machine for cardio, a sturdy adjustable bench and set of quality, adjustable dumbbells.

Resistance training with a solid program combined with correct form, has numerous benefits and when combined with the proper caloric intake, will produce rapid and sustained results.

Reaction Score
You can get a LOT of advice on this. All of it is good. I think the answer is, DO SOMETHING. Something that fits your lifestyle and fitness goals. Your body will respond to an amazing variety of activities. Just make sure you have activities.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I like this round ball thing that I run around a concrete court for 30-40 minutes a day bouncing
and trying to elevate smoothly into an elevated hoop
it's called basketball.
I even found a court in Beijing near our apt.
But its good to be home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69