Best Defensive Lineup | The Boneyard

Best Defensive Lineup

Reaction Score
Curious to see what people think our best defensive lineup is, I think I'd go Diarra Hawkins Andre Samson(Once back), and Clingan at the 5 for paint protection. If we needed one stop to win a game who would you want out there?

Reaction Score
You probably have it right with that lineup, however, I think we still need to be realistic about Samson's abilities. I think we HOPE he's a defensive stopper, and he has the athleticism to do it... but no one really knows until he plays a few games. It's entirely possible he doesn't have the BBIQ to put his athleticism to good use.

Reaction Score
Statistically so far it has been:

Diarra, Calcaterra, Alleyne, Jackson, Clingan - Did most of their work against Georgetown, 7 points allowed in 12 defensive possessions. Also held Florida to 3 points in 5 possessions. Smaller/unreliable sample size overall though.

The starting lineup with Alleyne in place of Karaban (Newton, Alleyne, Hawkins, Jackson, Sanogo) has a few more possessions played together and looks quite strong defensively.

My guess for best defensive lineup is the first one I mentioned putting in Hawkins for Calcaterra: Diarra, Alleyne, Hawkins, Jackson, and Clingan. Have only played 2 possessions together all season. But they didn't give up a point, so I'm sticking with that answer lol.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Curious to see what people think our best defensive lineup is, I think I'd go Diarra Hawkins Andre Samson(Once back), and Clingan at the 5 for paint protection. If we needed one stop to win a game who would you want out there?
You nailed it there. Good work.

Reaction Score
You probably have it right with that lineup, however, I think we still need to be realistic about Samson's abilities. I think we HOPE he's a defensive stopper, and he has the athleticism to do it... but no one really knows until he plays a few games. It's entirely possible he doesn't have the BBIQ to put his athleticism to good use.
Nobody knows how impactful Samson is going to be on either side of the ball. He has missed 16 games this season and didn't play much as a freshman. I would consider anything we get from him this season as a bonus.

Reaction Score
Nobody knows how impactful Samson is going to be on either side of the ball. He has missed 16 games this season and didn't play much as a freshman. I would consider anything we get from him this season as a bonus.

Hard to also jump right into the midst of big east play. At least the brutality of the schedule will lighten up a bit after the Marquette game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It depends on who we are playing. Against Kalkbrenner, Nunge/Freemantle or Dixon, Sanogo is a much better option at the 5 than Clingan. Diarra, Jackson, Hawkins for sure. Hopefully Johnson at the 4, because otherwise we don't have a good option defensively. At the moment, Alleyne. For all the talk I heard last summer about Jackson being able to defend the 4, it's pretty clear he's not good at it.

Reaction Score
It depends on who we are playing. Against Kalkbrenner, Nunge/Freemantle or Dixon, Sanogo is a much better option at the 5 than Clingan. Diarra, Jackson, Hawkins for sure. Hopefully Johnson at the 4, because otherwise we don't have a good option defensively. At the moment, Alleyne. For all the talk I heard last summer about Jackson being able to defend the 4, it's pretty clear he's not good at it.
Sanogo got absolutely cooked by Xavier. Hurley spit the bit by playing Clingan 7 minutes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sanogo got absolutely cooked by Xavier. Hurley spit the bit by playing Clingan 7 minutes.
No, he didn't. Go back and watch it over. The perimeter guys got cooked and couldn't get through screens. Sanogo did what he was asked to do, which is guard the bigs that can shoot wherever they are. Complain about the system, sure, but I broke it down already. They weren't his mistakes.

Reaction Score
No, he didn't. Go back and watch it over. The perimeter guys got cooked and couldn't get through screens. Sanogo did what he was asked to do, which is guard the bigs that can shoot wherever they are. Complain about the system, sure, but I broke it down already. They weren't his mistakes.
I watched the game multiple times, his defense was awful that game.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you watch the Creighton game, you will notice Sanogo playing the same way, but somebody else is always, always in the middle of the paint. Often it was Hawkins, but they all did it, even Joey. Watch Xavier and even PC, and countless times the 1-4 aren't covering the rim behind him. It was clearly a defensive emphasis from Hurley. On the really ugly Nunge P&R dunk, Sanogo is yelling and pointing at the lane, that wasn't his responsibility.

As always, I get the argument that he should be out there less often, and Hurley doesn't send Clingan out there (because he can't do it) so rim protection is better with him (plus, 7'2 matters). Sanogo defends the paint just fine when he's allowed to stay back. He's so much better at not going for fakes now, very patient.

Reaction Score
Statistically so far it has been:

Diarra, Calcaterra, Alleyne, Jackson, Clingan - Did most of their work against Georgetown, 7 points allowed in 12 defensive possessions. Also held Florida to 3 points in 5 possessions. Smaller/unreliable sample size overall though.

The starting lineup with Alleyne in place of Karaban (Newton, Alleyne, Hawkins, Jackson, Sanogo) has a few more possessions played together and looks quite strong defensively.

My guess for best defensive lineup is the first one I mentioned putting in Hawkins for Calcaterra: Diarra, Alleyne, Hawkins, Jackson, and Clingan. Have only played 2 possessions together all season. But they didn't give up a point, so I'm sticking with that answer lol.

That lineup had some great defensive spells, but as I remember them they came roughly between the 5 and 10 minutes remaining part of the second half where this group was fresh, the other team was tired, and all types of havoc was created. I'm not sure that I would want those five to be my defensive unit in the last two minutes when we're playing half court basketball with time outs every other possession.

I'd sub in Hawkins for Joey C.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm on the DC defense vs AS.
AS is ok but DC has the awareness, BB IQ, height and reach that AS doesn't. You can't compensate completely for what DC brings.
I will be fairly sure that any big man who has faced both will tell you they would rather face up against AS than DC when on offense

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom