Best Covers of Pop Songs | The Boneyard

Best Covers of Pop Songs

Reaction Score
So, I've contributed a few songs to the OT: Best Covers of Rock Songs thread, an awesome learning experience. I also started one about the season, the team and having a good time which was a good sharing fun time. Rock is where my heart is. Thanks to everyone.

Looking to add another song to that thread, I asked a good friend of mine who is a huge rock fan if she had a favorite cover song, but didn't specify the genre. I just assumed it would be rock. She fooled me, and I am so happy she did. She sent me a wonderful performance.

This is a cover of a huge Pop (popular) song hit, "Somewhere" by Barbra Streisand. This is performed by Katharine Mcphee and was written by David Foster, a 16 grammy award winning songwriter, who is playing piano. Also, he and Katharine are a married couple. I know all this because Google is my friend.

Anyway, enjoy, and please add any other pop covers you are fans of, because I'm ready to expand my world. There are only so many songs, and so many more artists, so let's share the music world and have a little fun.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm mostly thinking of songs where the original was pop, but the cover is hard rock or metal, probably not what the OP is going for. Maybe I'll come up w/ some later, but I've got a couple for starters.

Pink was floored when she watched this cover of one of her songs, by a Dutch artist. Davina was already well known in the Netherlands, but this introduced her to a worldwide audience.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I remember this being a big hit for Siouxsie and the Banshees my freshman year of college (popular music was SO eclectic in the early 90s, completely all over the place). Decent cover by a band I really like, takes it in a bit different direction without radically changing it.

I had no idea for the longest time this song is about the tragic death of Jayne Mansfield.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This group has a ton of covers (and a few originals) posted. I looked earlier for the other thread, but none of their covers of rock songs really grabbed me. Pop on the other hand, some good stuff to choose from. This is probably the one that really put them on the map. They have some clever and inventive videos.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Ellie Greenwich wrote many of the rock songs of the sixties. Together with husband Jeff Barry cranking out songs in the famous Brill Building. Here she sings a tender version of a song she wrote for Darlene Love.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This is a cover of a huge Pop (popular) song hit, "Somewhere" by Barbra Streisand. This is performed by Katharine Mcphee and was written by David Foster, a 16 grammy award winning songwriter, who is playing piano. Also, he and Katharine are a married couple. I know all this because Google is my friend.

Anyway, enjoy, and please add any other pop covers you are fans of, because I'm ready to expand my world. There are only so many songs, and so many more artists, so let's share the music world and have a little fun.
Sorry to contradict you, but this song is from West Side Story, Music: Leonard Bernstein and Lyrics: Stephen Sondheim

Here's a softer version from the pop group We Five, lead singer Bev Bevins

Reaction Score
Sorry to contradict you, but this song is from West Side Story, Music: Leonard Bernstein and Lyrics: Stephen Sondheim

Here's a softer version from the pop group We Five, lead singer Bev Bevins

Thanks. Good to know and learn. Just shows how little I follow pop music.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Some more Walk off the Earth, here doing an Adele song.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A previously unheard of teenager from New Zealand rocketed to worldwide fame with this song. A countless number of covers followed. I'm gonna steal one of @MSGRET 's favorites here.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This duo used to do a bunch of covers, now all of their you tube content is video game related. They take a number of pop songs in a rock direction.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Replacing the rap portion w/ growling/screaming is a win in my book.

Reaction Score
Never realized so many people covered Tony Orlando and Dawn's "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree."

Here is Perry Como's version.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Their songs are usually heavier. They cover at least 5 of Ellie's songs. The singer is a good vocal mimic, sounds somewhat like Ellie on these.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Couldn't narrow it down to just one so here's another.

Reaction Score
15 year old Courtney Hadwin performing Lewis Capaldi's 'Someone You Loved'.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I like the original. I maybe heard it too many times. Nice cover version of it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sometimes for the life of me I can't figure out whether something is rock or pop. I think the original could go either way? But I'm putting it in this thread. One of the more iconic songs of the 80s. Cover by a band who had a few hits themselves.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I absolutely despise the original. So annoying, it's just a terrible song (and I actually liked some of her earlier stuff, so I'm not just hating on her). Didn't stop if from becoming a big hit though. This cover is totally different and rescues the song.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom