Best coach to not make a F4 | The Boneyard

Best coach to not make a F4

Who is best active coach to not make a Final 4?

• Karen Aston, Texas

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Kevin McGuff, Ohio St

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sue Semrau, Florida St

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Kim Barnes Arico, Michigan

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Charli Turner-Thorne, Ariz St

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Doug Bruno, DePaul

Votes: 30 66.7%
  • Other (please list)

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I’m gonna leave out Kelly Graves and Wes Moore since each has only been at a P5 school for 3 or 4 years.

Who d I leave out?

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed most top coaches have made 1.

Of the top 16 seeds, these have not:
2-Graves, Aston
3 - Semrau, Warlick, Close, McGuff
4 - Taylor, Moore

3 of those have been there <5 years

Reaction Score
I had a hard time choosing. Picked Semrau. Might have picked Aston, but I believe with her very successful recuiting I believe she should already have made the final four.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I voted for Doug Brumo as he has accomplished a lot at Depaul. However, probably will never get to a Final Four as he doesn't have get the players.

My next is Kim Barnes- Arico. If she continues to build the Michigan program, she might get a couple of players that will enable her to compete for the Final Four.

Aston, McGuff and Semaru has had the players with a little luck could have made a F4. Especially Aston and McGuff. This years Texas team was a talented team that should be playing Miss St for the right to go to the F4.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think you have to define what you mean by "best coach" to get a valid poll. Specifically, do you include recruiting skill as part of the definition of "best", or not?

I voted for Doug Bruno (and probably several others did as well) because I think he will get more than the others out of any roster which is provided to him. But obviously he has not recruited nearly as well as several others on the list, and that has limited his record in terms of wins and losses.

If the assignment was to select the best coach in all dimensions including recruiting success, then I would have given a different answer.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Karl Smesko, Florida Gulf Coast

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I’m gonna leave out Kelly Graves and Wes Moore since each has only been at a P5 school for 3 or 4 years.

Who d I leave out?

Gary Finitius of St Clare of the Sleepy in Paulitis Ca

He is a legend in the Catholic leagues over there. He's 175 - 130 in his career. Solid gold..he's solid gold.

Reaction Score
Would have to be either Matthew Mitchell of Kentucky or Sue Semaru of Florida State. Both made the Elite 8 3 times.

Kelly Graves would be tops if he doesn't win tomorrow. Kevin McGruff has no business being an option. I find it offensive how he sells his players short with their deplorable lack of defense.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm very pleased to see no one is fooled anymore by Kevin McGuff except maybe Geno. I wanted to vote a tie between Doug and Sue Semrau.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I went with Semrau. I will note that some on this board think fairly highly of Close at UCLA. I'm not yet persuaded, but she is in fact one game away from the Final Four this year. I would say she's better than McGuff.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Doug Bruno ws my choice.

McGuff will never make a final 4. You need defense and a team concept to make it to the final 4. He has neither.

Karen Aston might - there are signs that her teams get better throughout the season, but given the talent she has, she probably should have already been there.

Sue and Charli are both good coaches, but will probably need a program changing top player to push them over the top.

Kim Barns Arico showed a lot of promise. It will be interesting to see how she develops the program at Michigan. She may have to move to a school that cares a little more about WBB to get to a final 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom