Best class of WNBA rookies in some time? | The Boneyard

Best class of WNBA rookies in some time?

Reaction Score
I think this is probably the best draft class since 2013 (Griner, Delle Donne, Diggins-Smith). There may not be as many all stars in this class, but the potential for this class is high, and so far, this class has been called on to play major minutes. I can't remember seeing so many rookies play a significant role for their teams before this year.
A'ja Wilson
2 Kelsey Mitchell
3 Diamond DeShields
4 Gabby Williams
5 Jordin Canada
6 Azurá Stevens
7 Ariel Atkins
8 Victoria Vivians
9 Lexie Brown
10 Kia Nurse
11 Maria Vadeeva
12 Marie Gülich
Wilson is the central player in Las Vegas (Wilson actually looks like a solid pro player. I doubted her potential for the pros), Mitchell, Deshields, Williams, and Canada play major minutes for their teams (Williams and Deshields start), Atkins and Hines-Allen play a lot of minutes for Washington, Kia Nurse plays a lot for NY, Marie Gulich is a solid backup for Griner, and Stevens looks like she could be a solid player. Deshields and Williams will get better with time, as will Canada. I'm especially impressed with Atkins' play; she seems even more confident in the pros than she did at Texas. I would like to see Vivians play more.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm rewatching Storm vs. Mystics, and Atkins looks significantly better than she did at Texas. Starting to wonder exactly how good of a coach Aston is?

She's flourishing as Elizabeth Williams did AFTER she left Duke. The 12 players you listed would make ANY WNBA roster, including L.A. and Minnesota, which are the two hardest rosters for a rookie to crack.

Reaction Score
She's flourishing as Elizabeth Williams did AFTER she left Duke..

Using E. Williams as an example is not really fair. She played her best college ball as a freshman until she developed a stress fracture at the end of the season. It was obvious her play was subpar her second season. Even after the recovery time passed it just seemed that her effort was lacking. That can partially be attributed to the recovery time necessary for stress fractures. The main thing is that requires a lot of inactivity to heal. It seemed she never got her game back until the end of her Senior season. Her freshman season was her best. I seemed she lost her focus on basketball during her recovery time.

Being a professional and not having to deal with premed classes and being able to focus on basketball alone might have made a difference as well. There are a lot of factors that play into when and how a player develops that have little to do with coaching. Injuries and health being a major factor.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm rewatching Storm vs. Mystics, and Atkins looks significantly better than she did at Texas. Starting to wonder exactly how good of a coach Aston is?

To play devil’s advocate, the same could be said about Kia Nurse who has been a much better offensive pro than I expected.

But to answer the original question—this is hands down the deepest draft in years. We’ve seen players like Nurse and Atkins shine right away when they weren’t expected to. The top 2 picks are big standout talents, and at 3 you had a wild card player in Deshields who looks a lot better than she did at Tennessee.

Deeper in the draft you have some really good bigs in Vadeeva, Gülich, and Stevens who should all improve with time, Williams has huge upside and will improve with time. Vivians is still adjusting but could be a great scorer too. Brown is buried on a deep Connecticut roster but has all the tools to be a very good pro player, and Canada appears to be next in line at Seattle. Great draft all around. 2019 should have another deep class as well, especially loaded with forwards and posts.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Definitely have to include Mitchell in that crew. I’d also throw Deshields in that mix. Outstanding contributions by all 4 so early on. Nurse didn’t get AA hardware but I thought she was the most beloved UCONN player this past season, at least by UCONN fans. That said, I don’t think anyone foresaw her averaging 19ppg and dropping 34 in a game this early on. Props to her.

UCONN will be more than fine heading into 2018-19...we hear this every year from UCONN fans and the team always turns out stellar. If you can go 36-1 after losing Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck, sand go 38-1 after losing Dolson/Hartley, you’ll still be the cream of the crop after losing Nurse and Williams.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
That said, I don’t think anyone foresaw her averaging 19ppg and dropping 34 in a game this early on. Props to her.

While I didn't say above, I did say this about Kia:
  • The WNBA folks know her position. Kia can be drafted for her position, guard. Not a project to figure out where or how to play her.
  • She fits existing systems.
  • Has a WNBA body. Heck she has a NHL body.
  • Has a consistent shot from anywhere on the court.
  • Has become a high percentage 3 point shot maker.
  • Has a very good handle.
  • Is a very tough physical defender who potentially will be a better defender at the WNBA level.
  • Has become a leader.
  • She is a tall guard at 6’.

Reaction Score
I think Atkins was used incorrectly at Texas. I watched a lot of their games over the years, and Atkins didn't get nearly the shots she deserved in their offense.
Diamond is doing well.
Kia Nurse is doing extremely well--she has a high motor and looks fearless on the court.

Reaction Score

You’re just starting to doubt Aston? She had a roster with FF talent the past two seasons and they lost to a coach whose worse than she is, Cori Close in 2018. Texas had it all last year....senior guards, speed, height, rebounding, and athleticism, yet they looked terrible, disorganized and clueless in most of their games. It’s a reason why I think Tina Thompson was a terrible hire at Virginia.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You’re just starting to doubt Aston? She had a roster with FF talent the past two seasons and they lost to a coach whose worse than she is, Cori Close in 2018. Texas had it all last year....senior guards, speed, height, rebounding, and athleticism, yet they looked terrible, disorganized and clueless in most of their games. It’s a reason why I think Tina Thompson was a terrible hire at Virginia.
I believe that Texas had the most McDonalds All-Americans the past 2 years or so.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Atkins was used incorrectly at Texas. I watched a lot of their games over the years, and Atkins didn't get nearly the shots she deserved in their offense.
Diamond is doing well.
Kia Nurse is doing extremely well--she has a high motor and looks fearless on the court.
Kia has a high motor and IS fearless ... on or off the court.

Reaction Score
A big surprise for me is that Diamond Deshields is not only playing well, but hasn't imploded. Perhaps an adult environment is what she's needed. Perhaps knowing that it is unlikely that another pro team would take a chance on her if she flamed out again is focusing her playing.

In any event, she's a top WNBA contributor.

Reaction Score
A big surprise for me is that Diamond Deshields is not only playing well, but hasn't imploded. Perhaps an adult environment is what she's needed. Perhaps knowing that it is unlikely that another pro team would take a chance on her if she flamed out again is focusing her playing.

In any event, she's a top WNBA contributor.

I think Diamond gets a bit of a raw deal. She went to perhaps the two worst colleges she could have gone to. Sylvia’s teams play with no discipline and Holly is the worst coach in a P5 conference...or close to it. She would’ve flourished under the likes of Geno, Muffett, Tara, Jeff, Vic, or Dawn, IMO.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Diamond gets a bit of a raw deal. She went to perhaps the two worst colleges she could have gone to. Sylvia’s teams play with no discipline and Holly is the worst coach in a P5 conference...or close to it. She would’ve flourished under the likes of Geno, Muffett, Tara, Jeff, Vic, or Dawn, IMO.
Maybe, but Diamond chose those schools, perhaps because of the lack of structure. The question has been whether she wants to freelance or play within a structure. I think Gabby will help her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

I don't think she wanted discipline, otherwise she would've gone to a different program. I always had the impression that Diamond wanted to be the star player from the get go, that wasn't happening at any of the schools listed. She likely butts heads with any of those coaches and ends up transferring out. The WNBA is the best of the best and she loses a bit of her edge there since she isn't going to be the best player on any team like she was in college. Have to buy in or it ain't happening for her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom