Best case scenario for the AAC tourney (and a possible path to 5 bids?) | The Boneyard

Best case scenario for the AAC tourney (and a possible path to 5 bids?)

Reaction Score
In your opinion, what is the best possible outcome for the AACT as a whole? I mean, obviously, Uconn takes it, of course, but after that, what is the best possible way for this tourney to happen?

I think the AAC has a real outside shot of getting 5 bids.

If Temple loses in the finals to a surprise fifth team and UCF (lose in the semis), Houston (lose in the quarters, likely hurts seed) and Cincy (lose in the semis) advance as far as I mentioned in the parentheses, that SHOULD lead to five bids, correct? (Uconn/Temple final, lets go!) For me, that is best case for the AACT. Otherwise, next best case if Uconn does not win it is Memphis take it IMO (we want the best team possible to be a bid thief).

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I think one of Temple/UCF/Houston/Cinci is almost guaranteed to win it. It's easy to see a couple of those teams slip up, but not all 4 (even though I think all 4 will have relatively early NCAA exits, hope I'm wrong).

But Memphis has an outside shot to win the tournament. I agree, that is best case scenario. Memphis is one of those teams that can get hot and make a run.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
In your opinion, what is the best possible outcome for the AACT as a whole? I mean, obviously, Uconn takes it, of course, but after that, what is the best possible way for this tourney to happen?

I think the AAC has a real outside shot of getting 5 bids.

If Temple loses in the finals to a surprise fifth team and UCF (lose in the semis), Houston (lose in the quarters, likely hurts seed) and Cincy (lose in the semis) advance as far as I mentioned in the parentheses, that SHOULD lead to five bids, correct? (Uconn/Temple final, lets go!) For me, that is best case for the AACT. Otherwise, next best case if Uconn does not win it is Memphis take it IMO (we want the best team possible to be a bid thief).

That would be awesome... but I feel like the powers that be (aka the NCAA) will favor the Power 5 schools as always :mad:

Reaction Score
two teams I did not want to face in the conf tourney - Houston and Memphis. And we have to go through both. I think if Memphis was on the other side, it would be a Houston/Memphis final. But if Memphis rolls Houston and UCF, think a win vs Temple in the finals would still get the American 5 bids. Of course the pipe dream is for to replace Memphis with UConn in that scenario. If in Hartford with JA and AG, different story.

As it is, I'd put money on 3 bids, with temple outside looking in.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
That would be awesome... but I feel like the powers that be (aka the NCAA) will favor the Power 5 schools as always :mad:

Agreed. If Memphis (or UConn) wins it all, it would probably result in 3 bids rather than 4 or 5. I think UCF and Temple are both still on the bubble and if neither win a game in the AAC they could be left on the outside looking in. And it's possible one or both of those teams loses to a low seed team like Memphis or Wichita making a run.

In my opinion AAC should be safe for 4 teams regardless of how they perform this week, but unfortunately the selection committee still has no respect for our league. I can never forget how baffling it was a few years ago to have SMU ranked in the top 25 the last week of the season and still not receive an at large bid.

Reaction Score
Agreed. If Memphis (or UConn) wins it all, it would probably result in 3 bids rather than 4 or 5. I think UCF and Temple are both still on the bubble and if neither win a game in the AAC they could be left on the outside looking in. And it's possible one or both of those teams loses to a low seed team like Memphis or Wichita making a run.

In my opinion AAC should be safe for 4 teams regardless of how they perform this week, but unfortunately the selection committee still has no respect for our league. I can never forget how baffling it was a few years ago to have SMU ranked in the top 25 the last week of the season and still not receive an at large bid.
UCF is a lock at this point. Their NET is 28, which is one behind Cincinnati, and in front of Marquette. Most places have them as an 8 seed right now.

Temple should probably beat Witchia State to feel truly comfortable, but they have moved off the "last 4 teams in" line in most places.

The bubble is really weak this year. We have 3 in, and Temple is almost a lock at this point.

Reaction Score
Temple needs to win their Quarterfinal game. Going 0-1 in the AAC tourney gives the Selection Committee a reason to leave them out.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Honestly, probably to have UConn beat Temple in the title game.

Reaction Score
Best possible for the conference, guaranteeing 5 bids:

UConn beats USF.
Memphis beats Tulane.
Tulsa beats SMU.
Wichita beats ECU.

UConn beats Houston.
UCF beats Memphis.
Cincy beats Tulsa.
Temple beats Wichita.

UConn beats UCF.
Temple beats Cincy.

UConn beats Temple.

Also works for USF winning it all instead of UConn. If we think UCF is a lock and doesn't need to win a game in the tournament, then Memphis winning also works.

Reaction Score
As always, crazy upsets in other conference tournaments will likely play havoc with every projection out there.

Reaction Score
Best possible scenario? UConn over USF. Tulane over Memphis. Don’t care after that.

We beat Houston and UCF loses to Tulane on Friday. Good for us. So maybe it costs UCF a tournament bid. Counterpoint: it would be hilarious and I don’t care what happens to UCF. Cinci and Temple win.

Saturday Cinci wins and we destroy Tulane.

Sunday we beat Cinci on a halfcourt shot at the buzzer by Jalen Adams and Cronin spends the press conference crying about how you can’t catch a ball, turn, and shoot in 0.8 seconds.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As always, crazy upsets in other conference tournaments will likely play havoc with every projection out there.

Already been three - which also means three at-large spots in NIT are gone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom