Beer | Page 215 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I've been getting into porters more recently, there arent a lot of options honestly but i was drinking a lot of DH IPAs over the summer from some of the local places. Honestly I sometimes will feel crappy after a couple of IPAs the next day versus feeling pretty fine just sticking to porters or what not. Not sure if its just because of the high alcohol percentage or the composition of the beer but something about the fall and a nice porter or stout is nice.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Missed opportunity that they didn't do it when it would disappear off shelves in minutes. Now it almost certainly won't be the best DIPA and IPA in the store.
I don't recall all the details, but iirc they had a fire that delayed their expansion for a couple years, and during that time they were selling out of their full capacity without even leaving the state. I mean, even in Waitsfield you had to be in the stores when it arrived to have a chance of getting any, and they did pop up sales throughout the state that were frequently sold out within minutes. Sip definitely saw and took advantage of that opportunity by partnering with Two Roads to brew in CT to make enough capacity to meet demand within the region. I'm guessing Alchemist's new place has been open for around four years now and they finally have the capacity to make and distribute HT and FB regionally.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've been getting into porters more recently, there arent a lot of options honestly but i was drinking a lot of DH IPAs over the summer from some of the local places. Honestly I sometimes will feel crappy after a couple of IPAs the next day versus feeling pretty fine just sticking to porters or what not. Not sure if its just because of the high alcohol percentage or the composition of the beer but something about the fall and a nice porter or stout is nice.
I think it's the hops that cause you to feel crappy. At least that's what I've deduced for me.

Reaction Score
This times 100x
Eh, why does every craft brewery have to aspire to national distribution? It definitely isn't about getting bought out by the giant breweries anymore & there is now lots of room for local beers to find a niche. The Alchemist & Heady is a bit more than that and certainly profited early from scarcity, but I don't know that they need to be on shelves even all across NE. I'd rather its harder to get and that I have a few on ski trips or occasional cans make their way to MA.
For example, Trillium is building multiple brew houses, buying farms in CT = making quite a bit of $ with no distribution. I think the couples that own the Alchemist and Trillium are doing quite well for themselves and I like the beer vibe (honest part of what we pay for) as smaller, actual & perceived quality implications of harder to get.

Reaction Score
I think it's the hops that cause you to feel crappy. At least that's what I've deduced for me.
Definitely agree. Anything more than 2 x 16 oz IPAs and it is trouble. I think it is a combo of the Hops & sugar & of course higher alcohol content. I like the Candlepins from Castle Island - taste kind of like an IPA, but lower alcohol content and effects more like domestic beer.

Reaction Score
Definitely agree. Anything more than 2 x 16 oz IPAs and it is trouble. I think it is a combo of the Hops & sugar & of course higher alcohol content. I like the Candlepins from Castle Island - taste kind of like an IPA, but lower alcohol content and effects more like domestic beer.
I get the same bad feeling in my stomach after a couple IPAs as you guys posted. I always wondered if it was the hops since stouts don't seem to do the same to me. I guess maybe it is the hops. But of course I keep drinking the IPAs despite the bad feeling. :)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I get the same bad feeling in my stomach after a couple IPAs as you guys posted. I always wondered if it was the hops since stouts don't seem to do the same to me. I guess maybe it is the hops. But of course I keep drinking the IPAs despite the bad feeling. :)
I did the same for years and years and then I stopped drinking beer altogether for a while around four years ago when I was trying to lose some weight and figure out why I wasn't feeling great. I thought I might have a gluten allergy or sensitivity but the tests did not reveal any. Nonetheless, I felt much better when I wasn't drinking beer and I never realized how much discomfort I tolerated for the sake of beer until I stopped drinking it for a while.

I have had one or two from time to time since and I have noticed that I don't feel nearly as much discomfort when drinking lagers/pilsners, porters, stouts or wheat beers.

As I've posted before, I have gotten way into hard ciders, and they now make several hoppy ones; and even the craft hard seltzer makers are doing IPA style hard seltzers now. I can tolerate them better than I can tolerate hoppy beers, but I still can't have too many without feeling discomfort, which I attribute to the hops--again.

Reaction Score
Please name a few of the 100's of IPA's that are better, I'm looking for some new choices.
I didn't mean there were hundreds of IPAs better, just that I really agreed with the statement that you can find better beers in shops nowadays. If you're looking for some really good IPAs, have you tried any from American Solera and Short Throw? I don't recall those breweries mentioned in here but both have some really good IPAs readily available in CT shops

Reaction Score
Eh, why does every craft brewery have to aspire to national distribution? It definitely isn't about getting bought out by the giant breweries anymore & there is now lots of room for local beers to find a niche. The Alchemist & Heady is a bit more than that and certainly profited early from scarcity, but I don't know that they need to be on shelves even all across NE. I'd rather its harder to get and that I have a few on ski trips or occasional cans make their way to MA.
For example, Trillium is building multiple brew houses, buying farms in CT = making quite a bit of $ with no distribution. I think the couples that own the Alchemist and Trillium are doing quite well for themselves and I like the beer vibe (honest part of what we pay for) as smaller, actual & perceived quality implications of harder to get.
Oh I didn't mean it that way at all. I like how breweries don't distribute or don't distribute nationally - I am an Alchemist and Trillium fan so I get all that. I should have been clearer, I was just saying that are a lot of IPAs/beers you can get in stores that are better in 2020

Reaction Score
i’m sticking with sixpoint brewery resin, my final answer. clearly not an everyday beer, but my favorite double ipa. bell’s hopslam is similar but way too syrupy.

Reaction Score
I did the same for years and years and then I stopped drinking beer altogether for a while around four years ago when I was trying to lose some weight and figure out why I wasn't feeling great. I thought I might have a gluten allergy or sensitivity but the tests did not reveal any. Nonetheless, I felt much better when I wasn't drinking beer and I never realized how much discomfort I tolerated for the sake of beer until I stopped drinking it for a while.

I have had one or two from time to time since and I have noticed that I don't feel nearly as much discomfort when drinking lagers/pilsners, porters, stouts or wheat beers.

As I've posted before, I have gotten way into hard ciders, and they now make several hoppy ones; and even the craft hard seltzer makers are doing IPA style hard seltzers now. I can tolerate them better than I can tolerate hoppy beers, but I still can't have too many without feeling discomfort, which I attribute to the hops--again.
This reminds me of when my youngest son was 3.5 years old. It was a cold spring day, but the outdoor ice cream place had just opened for the season so we got cones. He was shivering, looked up and said ‘Dad, the ice cream is hurting me!’ Then he resumed eating ice cream.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Took a ride to Tree House today. Waited in an hour long car line, but they have the set up down pat - it went as fast and smooth as possible. I was surprised to see license plates from NY, NJ, NH, Penn, VT. I'm thinking The Alchemist may be more legendary, but that Tree House has better overall product. Picked up a mix pack of 24 IPA's - Jjjuliusss, Green, Haze, and Sap - and a jug of their apple cider. For a 35 minute ride, I will be there much more often now.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Heady and Focal are now being distributed to CT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Are they being distributed by The Alchemist, or is someone just taking a ride to VT and selling them in CT?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. This is why I stopped drinking Sip of Sunshine. When it was hard to find/attain, it was much more fun to drink. I know it's great, but there's many great beers now. When they started selling it in Stop & Shop and people I know who had no clue about beer started drinking it, I quit it. I haven't had Sip in years...good riddance. Note to brewers - don't be greedy.

I really hope Heady and Focal are not being distributed to CT. This will ruin the beer. I love the experience of having to go to Burlington 1-2x a year to load up. Good things should be hard to find.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Are they being distributed by The Alchemist, or is someone just taking a ride to VT and selling them in CT?

It's all sanctioned. A bunch of different package stores got it in, although I just read an instagram post saying that the distributer is warning that they're not getting another shipment in until December.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It's all sanctioned. A bunch of different package stores got it in, although I just read an instagram post saying that the distributer is warning that they're not getting another shipment in until December.
I am a huge beer drinker/fan, and I think this is terrible. I hope they really limit the distribution. Kimmiche said he would not sell out or distribute this far. Although I will give him a pass if he's doing this to get through the pandemic without letting any employees go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. This is why I stopped drinking Sip of Sunshine. When it was hard to find/attain, it was much more fun to drink. I know it's great, but there's many great beers now. When they started selling it in Stop & Shop and people I know who had no clue about beer started drinking it, I quit it. I haven't had Sip in years...good riddance. Note to brewers - don't be greedy.

I really hope Heady and Focal are not being distributed to CT. This will ruin the beer. I love the experience of having to go to Burlington 1-2x a year to load up. Good things should be hard to find.

Do you honestly drink beer and think “Wow this would taste so much better if it was harder to find!”

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Do you honestly drink beer and think “Wow this would taste so much better if it was harder to find!”
Absolutely...maybe I'm different. To me, the craft beers are partly about exclusivity and being hard to find/attain...in addition to the quality and flavor. Sip of Sunshine is good, but it's so basic now. It's kinda like that hot girl in high school that you want to hook up with - until you find out your buddy already did. Not so hot anymore. Or when you find an awesome pair of sneakers and your boy show ups wearing them after he saw you in them already.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Absolutely...maybe I'm different. To me, the craft beers are partly about exclusivity and being hard to find/attain...in addition to the quality and flavor. Sip of Sunshine is good, but it's so basic now. It's kinda like that hot girl in high school that you want to hook up with - until you find out your buddy already did. Not so hot anymore. Or when you find an awesome pair of sneakers and your boy show ups wearing them after he saw you in them already.
Interesting analogies. Is this the same buddy putting his foot and his ___ into the respective sneakers and high school girl? Do you throw out the sneakers?
The chase and finding the beer is part of the fun, but once I've been to the brewery assuming I had a good experience I become a fan of the brand.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
image.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom