Beer | Page 208 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
What ever happened to Elm City Brewery? I don't remember the details; but, I went to an old New Haven Ravens baseball game some 25 years ago for a company outing and got picked to do that game when each competetiro has to spin around a baseball bat twenty times and then run to tag the mascot. I won because I was 20 and sober unike my competitor and walked home with a case of beer from them (guess they forgot to check my ID).

Reaction Score
What ever happened to Elm City Brewery? I don't remember the details; but, I went to an old New Haven Ravens baseball game some 25 years ago for a company outing and got picked to do that game when each competetiro has to spin around a baseball bat twenty times and then run to tag the mascot. I won because I was 20 and sober unike my competitor and walked home with a case of beer from them (guess they forgot to check my ID).
Opened in 1989 and closed in 1998. It was part of the beer revolution in the late 1980's and early 1990's after Sam Adams and Harpoon in Boston started a brewery resurgence. I have a shirt from the 1995 Boston Beer Festival that lists every brewery that was there. Most of them went out of business. With what is going on now I always wondered why that wave of breweries petered out and whether this wave will too. I hope not but I never understood why that wave of breweries didn't make it past the late 1990's/early 2000's.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They were good for their time, i.e., the 90s; peaked in mid-90s when they opened a brewpub and restaurant on Grand Ave., a great space with rotating art displays on the walls, a half-dozen or more quaffable or better beers and excellent food when they poached the chef from Azteca.

It was apparently horribly mis-managed and flamed out quickly. IIRC they fired the former Azteca chef after poaching her menu and having her train the staff to cook it, and things went downhill from there.

It was shame. The place seemed to have real promise and I had a few great nights there.

Reaction Score
I've never been much of a wine drinker but I may start. Please recommend a light, red, semi-sweet. Thanks

+1 for Bouj. Pinot noir would work too.

Anyone know if the smaller east coast juice bomb IPAs are available on the west coast?

Reaction Score
Had a can of Peril from Lawson's last night, excellent flavorful imperial IPA.
In Brewster today, are any of the Cape Code brewery beers decent?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bad news for New Haven area beer lovers.

Yeah, the British Beer Company restaurant in my town has closed too. Only place around with good taps. On a positive note, we have two new breweries. One opened in February and the other opens next month.

@Dogdeacon they are brewing Peril again? Never had it, but it was legendary in the day.

Reaction Score
Had a can of Peril from Lawson's last night, excellent flavorful imperial IPA.
In Brewster today, are any of the Cape Code brewery beers decent?
I'm not sure if any of these are close to Brewster, but I've enjoyed the beer at Devil's Purse, Barnstable and Naukabout. Nothing will blow your socks off, but some decent pours

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bad news for New Haven area beer lovers.

Yeah I posted about this upthread a few weeks ago when I found out about it. Big bummer for me because it was my regular. Apparently they were barely breaking even before the pandemic and this just hastened their decision to close up shop. It's a beautiful space but it suffers from lack of foot traffic except for train commuters using the State Street station. I've heard people complain about the parking but I actually found it to be very available most times. Sneaky little trick is that the loading zone in front of the entrance turns into a regular parking spot at 4 pm, but few people read the sign so it was frequently available when I swung by.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah I posted about this upthread a few weeks ago when I found out about it. Big bummer for me because it was my regular. Apparently they were barely breaking even before the pandemic and this just hastened their decision to close up shop. It's a beautiful space but it suffers from lack of foot traffic except for train commuters using the State Street station. I've heard people complain about the parking but I actually found it to be very available most times. Sneaky little trick is that the loading zone in front of the entrance turns into a regular parking spot at 4 pm, but few people read the sign so it was frequently available when I swung by.

I’m shocked sharksuit knows court st locations. Shocked I’m telling you.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the British Beer Company restaurant in my town has closed too. Only place around with good taps. On a positive note, we have two new breweries. One opened in February and the other opens next month.

@Dogdeacon they are brewing Peril again? Never had it, but it was legendary in the day.
Yes, a friend was up in VT and picked a four pack up for me just before father's day. All out now so off to Trillium later today

Reaction Score
******PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*****

In VT and I picked up a 4 pack of Lawson’s “space in between” thinking it was an IPA. ITS NOT! It’s more like a sour. ICK

Reaction Score
A bunch of yard work and prep for dinner. Now it’s time for a Little Sip. Very nice and wouldn’t mind drinking on the course.
1F70822F-77DF-4D1A-B742-A2F6AA82C128.jpeg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not normally a fan of variety packs but New Belgium has a good one for summer.

Voodoo Ranger mixed twelve.
Juicy Haze
Lime Lager
Citradelic Tangerine
Whit Bier

Reaction Score

Right across the street from an arcade I used to go to in the early 80s. Later became some kind of goth bar in the early 1990s.

Reaction Score
After 5 liquor stores today I got the last 4 pack of Ice Cream Man IPA by Back East brewing in Bloomfield. Soooo good!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The opposite of snobby in any way but I can’t deny it: Naturday Natty Lights are delicious and perfect for this type of day. I love them.

Reaction Score
******PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*****

In VT and I picked up a 4 pack of Lawson’s “space in between” thinking it was an IPA. ITS NOT! It’s more like a sour. ICK

I've never tried it, but it's considered a Pale Ale.
Lawson's promotes it as a "hazy ale with a hint of tartness".
So you're saying it's more than "a hint"???

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
After 5 liquor stores today I got the last 4 pack of Ice Cream Man IPA by Back East brewing in Bloomfield. Soooo good!

I found this at my local place and had one yesterday. The one I had yesterday tasted pretty close to the on-tap version, which is terrific.

Reaction Score
Was in the area, so ordered Tree House online Friday morning - they have mixed variety cases (amazing concept) - was able to get King Julius, Very Gggrreenn, juice machine, daze (single IPA of haze) and a bunch of the classics (52 beers total for $220, can’t beat that when garbage breweries are having you pay $20 for a 4 pack)

Waited in line in my car for 90 mins (just put on a podcast) - they had my order ready with some prep time in line and dropped it right at my car. Only bad thing I can say is that one of the jabroni Hand cart guys cursed me off for not waiting while the guy in front of me had issues with his order bc I wanted to get out of there (my bad).

highly recommended for anyone who can drive up there - they are just operating on a different level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was in the area, so ordered Tree House online Friday morning - they have mixed variety cases (amazing concept) - was able to get King Julius, Very Gggrreenn, juice machine, daze (single IPA of haze) and a bunch of the classics (52 beers total for $220, can’t beat that when garbage breweries are having you pay $20 for a 4 pack)

Waited in line in my car for 90 mins (just put on a podcast) - they had my order ready with some prep time in line and dropped it right at my car. Only bad thing I can say is that one of the jabroni Hand cart guys cursed me off for not waiting while the guy in front of me had issues with his order bc I wanted to get out of there (my bad).

highly recommended for anyone who can drive up there - they are just operating on a different level.
90 minute wait? You happened to go on probably the busiest day. On Saturdays and Sundays recently it's been about 30 minutes and during the weekdays probably 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
90 minute wait? You happened to go on probably the busiest day. On Saturdays and Sundays recently it's been about 30 minutes and during the weekdays probably 10 minutes.

Yes this Friday (7/3). Unfortunately wasn’t in the area until then. Still worth the wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom