Beer | Page 206 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I did a pickup at Trillium today in Canton, probably the safest smoothest process & Covid item I've seen & purchased. Order online, ready within 30 minutes (encouraged to pickup within 2hrs or by end of day). Parking lot production line, 1. a masked outdoor person radios in your order # as you flash your license, 2. someone in gloves and mask brings your order to one of multiple tables, 3. you grab and put in your car.
Got some Legroom, Dialed In, Stillings St and growler of Goody Trill Shoes.

They have it down nicely. We've gone three times. Treehouse is similar, but you can't quite custom order. They have packaged mixed or single beer cases you order. Pickup line is longer.

Reaction Score
They have it down nicely. We've gone three times. Treehouse is similar, but you can't quite custom order. They have packaged mixed or single beer cases you order. Pickup line is longer.

The pickup process at Tree House took me no more than 10 minutes at about 5:30 on Saturday. I know that the wait was much longer earlier in the day, though.

Reaction Score
Been crushing low calorie IPA's. So far I like the sixpoint and lagunitas ones the best.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The pickup process at Tree House took me no more than 10 minutes at about 5:30 on Saturday. I know that the wait was much longer earlier in the day, though.
Bout 25 min in/out Friday at 11:00am.

Reaction Score
How long is the wait at Treehouse? I've never been due to the time, but could be worth a trip sometime soon esp if they have an outdoor beer garden that opens.
My favorite Trillium is the Cutting Tiles series, if those are say 89/100 where would you put Treehouse's best?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How long is the wait at Treehouse?
I kinda hope they don't go back to the old way. Like I said above it was abt. 25 min and it was in the comfort of my own car. I was able to read my graphic novel listening to stereo.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How long is the wait at Treehouse? I've never been due to the time, but could be worth a trip sometime soon esp if they have an outdoor beer garden that opens.
My favorite Trillium is the Cutting Tiles series, if those are say 89/100 where would you put Treehouse's best?

It varies. Maybe 10-15 minutes. Longer than Trillium but not terrible.

The best Treehouse DIPA is as good or maybe a bit better than Citra Cutting Tiles, which is my favorite Cutting Tiles beer. Overall neither is far better than the other on the IPA side. Treehouse is not as good at sours, and is better at things like brown ales, porters, amber ales Etc. Bear is the best brown ale I’ve ever had.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It varies. Maybe 10-15 minutes. Longer than Trillium but not terrible.

The best Treehouse DIPA is as good or maybe a bit better than Citra Cutting Tiles, which is my favorite Cutting Tiles beer. Overall neither is far better than the other on the IPA side. Treehouse is not as good at sours, and is better at things like brown ales, porters, amber ales Etc. Bear is the best brown ale I’ve ever had.
If you go out to treehouse and leave with a sour that’s your problem.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you go out to treehouse and leave with a sour that’s your problem.

I don’t get the sours at either place. But Bear and some of the treehouse porters are phenomenal.

Reaction Score
Agree regarding sours but Tree House range is pretty impressive. They are way more than just IPAs.

I don’t get the sours at either place. But Bear and some of the treehouse porters are phenomenal.

Reaction Score
The shelf selection during COVID has been impressive. Last week I picked up Honey Shot, Crucial Mass, Marlowe, and Bruno (Fat Orange Cat)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bout 25 min in/out Friday at 11:00am.
For some reason last fall (I think it was after a FB game), I bought tickets to see Kansas in May. When the show was cancelled, the options were to wait another year or get my money back. The choice was clear and the refund hit my credit card at the same time as my Tree House charge. Bottom line, I got 2 cases of Tree House for about 20 bucks. And now it's a perfect day and I'm meeting up with some bar buddies with the haul on ice. Sometimes things work out.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The shelf selection during COVID has been impressive. Last week I picked up Honey Shot, Crucial Mass, Marlowe, and Bruno (Fat Orange Cat)
Marlowe's and FOC brew out of Twelve Percent in North Haven. The Eager to Share is phenomenal.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I took a trip to Lawson's. Zero wait. I pulled up, they filled my trunk with my pre-ordered list, and I turned around and drove home. Stopped at the Quechee Gorge for a hike/seat by the water on the way home. I love Vermont.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I remember people would go from store to store when Sip was released, buying their maximum allotment at each. I never went that crazy, although I did head out specifically to get it a few times as soon as I saw it on Beer Menus. And now? It is readily available at a nearby Stop & Shop. It’s no longer close to being my favorite IPA, but it’s still solid for a grocery store beer.
I stopped drinking Sip when non-beer people started drinking it. And when Stop & Shop started selling it. They ruined that beer with over-production.

I once read a quote from the owner/founder of the Alchemist, and it made me very happy to hear. I had to go back and find it so I could quote it correctly. I'll link it as well.

John Kimmiche said, when asked about expanding: "It would ruin the beer. Anybody who would have had partners and corporate investors would have been making 100,000 barrels a year by now because they would have been like 'Yeah, we got something good right here and we're going to exploit the %#@* out of it.' There are guys out there and that's their goal. That's not our goal. Our goal is not to retire on a mountain of money. Our goal is to create a sustainable example of what a business can be. You can be socially responsible and still make more money than you need."

This guy nailed it. He just gets it. I will always support a business like theirs. It makes the beer taste better just knowing that the owner/brewer thinks and feels this way. When I buy their beer (amongst other local brewers in CT and MA) I know that my money isn't going to shareholders, executives, or off to foreign countries (Budweiser is now owned by a Belgian company, for example).

Last edited:

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I stopped drinking Sip when non-beer people started drinking it. And when Stop & Shop started selling it. They ruined that beer with over-production.

I once read a quote from the owner/founder of the Alchemist, and it made me very happy to hear. I had to go back and find it so I could quote it correctly. I'll link it as well.

John Kimmiche said, when asked about expanding: "It would ruin the beer. Anybody who would have had partners and corporate investors would have been making 100,000 barrels a year by now because they would have been like 'Yeah, we got something good right here and we're going to exploit the %#@* out of it.' There are guys out there and that's their goal. That's not our goal. Our goal is not to retire on a mountain of money. Our goal is to create a sustainable example of what a business can be. You can be socially responsible and still make more money than you need."

This guy nailed it. He just gets it. I will always support a business like theirs. It makes the beer taste better just knowing that the owner/brewer thinks and feels this way. When I buy their beer (amongst other local brewers Iin CT and MA) I know that my money isn't going to shareholders, executives, or off to foreign countries (Budweiser is now owned by a Belgian company, for example).

IDK...If I ever created beers like Tree House or Alchemist, I'd take the Tree House route. Sure I'd work to retain as much quality as possible, but I'd produce the hell out of it so I could make a mountain of money, while making and drinking good beer.

Reaction Score
IDK...If I ever created beers like Tree House or Alchemist, I'd take the Tree House route. Sure I'd work to retain as much quality as possible, but I'd produce the hell out of it so I could make a mountain of money, while making and drinking good beer.
I think Lawson's beers are great and they do both the just locally available beers brewed on-site and mass produce Sip so that it is available to a much larger audience. Sip is still absolutely excellent, its just a different drink versus a dense Trillium or Treehouse beer. And its still worthwhile to go up to VT to get the beers they only distribute locally. Similarly I went to Tampa last year, visited Cigar city brewery for some great beers and now love being able to get their Jai Alai in six packs in MA. Very drinkable IPA and l like the 12oz option.

Were it not for its convenience (near train, office) I would never have frequent Trillium to the extent I do. I think there is a LOT of marketing by scarcity (Trillium only sold by Trillium, Heady Topper was textbook at this originally) by many of these breweries that also claim a quality & sustainability. It is fine, they mean all of it and likely enjoy the small business model, but they are absolutely up-selling that. It is just a different not necessarily intrinsically better or worse way to make a living.

Reaction Score
My wife's trying to drink less, so we've tried Athletic Brewing based out of Stratford. Basically, it's micro beers with less than 0.5% ABV.

We have a 12-pack of the Upside Dawn Golden Ale. I haven't had many, but easily the best low ABV beer I've ever tried. It's a good beer to have at the end of the night if you still want the taste of good beer, but want to stop the alcohol intake.

Has anyone else tried it?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Marlowe's and FOC brew out of Twelve Percent in North Haven. The Eager to Share is phenomenal.
Twelve Percent is now brewing some Hoof Hearted now (out of Ohio) premium stuff

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Twelve Percent is now brewing some Hoof Hearted now (out of Ohio) premium stuff
It's amazing.

Run Wild is my fave. The PM Dawn is great. So is the autumn brown when they brew that one, called Stump Jump. Heard great things about the stout. And I never get my hands on the DDH IPA.

Reaction Score
Sip of Sunshine is getting a little cousin. 6/26 Lawson's will be releasing Little Sip. An IPA clocking in at 6.2

74F0365F-1BFE-426F-89E0-65A1CA0FD1F9.jpeg

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know a guy that already calls it Lil Sip of Sunshine.

Reaction Score
Tried these two today and thought they were great store-found values.
Unraveled, by Founders. 6.6%. Tastes great, not like it has anywhere near that only 50 IBUs.

A sometimes favorite I like is Bell's Two-Hearted Ale (used to get it frequently traveling), but found today, "Bell's Light-Hearted Ale". Tastes great, very close to the TwoHearted, only less than 4% abv and 100 cals.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I know a guy that already calls it Lil Sip of Sunshine.

My wife does that, because she used to like Little Sumpin Sumpin from Lagunitas. It's still pretty good actually.

Sip of Sunshine is still solid. It was never as good as Double Sunshine. It's a simpler recipe which is why they brewed it at Two Roads. That said, it wasn't contract brewed, Shawn Lawson drove down to Stratford and brewed it once a week on Two Road's equipment. Does he still? I doubt it, but I don't know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom