Beer | Page 178 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I'm mostly a stout or porter guy these days. Not into hoppy IPA's or sours. I do like Dogfish Burton Baton or 120 IPA but that's it. I saw their Pom Pom which someone else recommended on their site.
Released Pom Pom Pom (3 Poms as opposed to the 2 Poms) today. Did you get to try that?

Reaction Score
I'm mostly a stout or porter guy these days. Not into hoppy IPA's or sours. I do like Dogfish Burton Baton or 120 IPA but that's it. I saw their Pom Pom which someone else recommended on their site.

I've been there twice in the last few weeks and mostly drink their sweet stouts. But I think 52 and Nanaimo were too sweet for me. One of them was like gross sweet. Like a Southern Tier Creme Brulee level sweet. I liked 69, Vanilla PM Dawn and Super Secret Stairs in that order. The tap has likely rotated from that though. But give each a taste try first. Overall they're good and the place is cool and has a good buzz right now. Bring your wallet.

Reaction Score
I'm going off the regular menu available for take out. They change the menu at the restaurant every day so check it out tomorrow. It's winter so there are lots of stouts available. Most of their IPAs are the fruity NEIPA style.

Stouts:
Pom Pom - Nice milk stout. Lots of sweet flavor and smooth. I really like this one.
Permutation Series Number Seventy-Six - Wheat stout. Never had it but looks good.
Night & Day with Coffee - I like all the Night & Day in the series (except the one with chili). If you like stouts that have a lot of coffee flavor then you'll like this.
Night & Day with Toasted Almond and Vanilla - I really like this one. The almond and vanilla are just subtle enough to add some complex flavor.
Night & Day with Vanilla, Cacao and Chili - I didn't like this one. I just don't like the chili taste in a beer.

If you like the fruity New England IPAs you can try all the DDH stuff and DIPAs. Most of their IPAs fit this style. They're not the bitter hoppy IPAs.

Scaled IPA, A Street IPA, DDH Melcher Street, DDH Sleeper Street, Vicinity DIPA, and Dialed-Up are available now and all are very good.

Trillium is my favorite brewery. They make so much good stuff and I like that's there's always something new.
Have you been to Nightshift? I've tried a number of their beers over the past month or two and have been impressed (Awake is great, Gravitas good, Dynasty best stout I've had so far this winter). I haven't been to their brewery yet but need to make it happen.
I go to Castle Island regularly, they have some good beers (TBD I like a lot and Candlepin- my go to low ABV with IPA taste, Hearthside very smooth coffee porter) but haven't loved many of their IPAs.

Reaction Score
Have you been to Nightshift? I've tried a number of their beers over the past month or two and have been impressed (Awake is great, Gravitas good, Dynasty best stout I've had so far this winter). I haven't been to their brewery yet but need to make it happen.
I go to Castle Island regularly, they have some good beers (TBD I like a lot and Candlepin- my go to low ABV with IPA taste, Hearthside very smooth coffee porter) but haven't loved many of their IPAs.
Never been but have had a lot of their beers since they're relatively easy to get around Boston.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Given this thread is primarily New England oriented (with RTW representing West Coast), thought I'd put in a plug for Pittsburgh.

There are ~50 microbreweries within an hour's drive of me (in light traffic). Unfortunately the ones I can get to in 15 minutes or so are in no way remarkable, yet continually have crowds and difficult parking situations. Thus, I'm kind of excited that Platform (Cleveland) is building a new brewery here, which means more distribution in local bottleshops for folks like me who simply want stuff I can drink at home and don't feel like I need to attend a Cincinnati Who concert to buy some. Just finished a can of Platform's Speed Merchant, a five-hop mashup that was delicious. We got Southern Tier's second location two years ago and that's still a great get, especially as some of the Pittsburgh collaborations actually see light of day outside brewery walls.

I haven't been to all of the 50 (or even half) but in calibrating with people whose palates I respect, if you're ever out this way: Brew Gentlemen, Abjuration, and Strange Roots are probably going to be your best bets if you're into NEIPAs and sours (especially Strange Roots on the latter). Insurrection will probably join that list soon. There are lots of good "traditional" IPAs to be had (East End, Full Pint are local go-tos for me). There's even a place that specializes in unfinished farmhouse ales if that's your thing.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I discovered The Beeracks in East Haven today. A collaborative of brewers there highlighted by Armada, Overshores and Hull's. There are others, too, but today I found Hoax Brewing to be someone to watch locally. March will be their one year anniversary and today I tried their colab with Front Porch Brewing (Wallingford)...a IIIPA called Strawbery Crop Circles. It was tasy . I bought a 4 pack of an APA called Long Day Low Pay, a single hop brew with Wakatu. A mellow 5% brewski that does the job.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I’ve been really loving Counterweight Work horse lately. It’s a Pilsner and is really great and drinkable

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Just got back from the Alchemist with a haul. Most of it is good, and I got the classics of course.

I must say that CT breweries have stepped their game WAY up, and I feel we can now compete with any state, as far as quality beer goes.

New England IPA's all day!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
FYI for you beer drinkers...

Screenshot_20190114-185932_Chrome.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
People drank Asashi? Why? Glad someone called them on their fake Japanese beer. I think it’s brewed in NJ.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Just got back from the Alchemist with a haul. Most of it is good, and I got the classics of course.

I must say that CT breweries have stepped their game WAY up, and I feel we can now compete with any state, as far as quality beer goes.

New England IPA's all day!
Three breweries opened in Manchester alone this past year with one more opening soon. For my money Labrynth is the best of the bunch. It’s getting insane.

Reaction Score
“Too Old, Too Slow, Still Here,” a 7.8 percent ABV double New England IPA “commemorating the greatest team of all time and the GOAT itself,” will be sold in crowlers and on draft in the Sam Adams Boston Brewery in Jamaica Plain on Thursday from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. or until the kegs are kicked.

Reaction Score
Congrats to all the brave souls who are almost through Dry January - 1 more day!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Firefly Hollow (Bristol) has 6 packs out there called Local Bud. Some CT ingredients in there with Morris-grown hops. Its a NEIPA.

I'm on 6 pack number two already.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Having my first Doobious IPA from Bad Sons. Its a tasty, hazy and dank juice bomb.

Reaction Score
Having my first Doobious IPA from Bad Sons. Its a tasty, hazy and dank juice bomb.

I fully agree. And I pick mine up for 10.99 which is unheard of for other NE style tall boys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom