Beer | Page 137 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Garbage is a little strong, don't you think? I mean do you really think they're awful, or just overrated? I really like Honeyspot IPA and Road 2 Ruin is really good on tap (not nearly as good bottled). Rye 95 was one of my favorites when they made it. The Road Jam was terrible, but everything else I've had by them is at least a solid offering. I haven't been to every brewery in the state but as far as the whole spectrum of what they make, City Steam is probably the only other brewery I've been to that is consistently better across their whole selection.

It’s very subjective but I don’t think any of those offerings you mentioned is any better than Sam Rebel IPA which is awful. Their stouts are actually pretty decent. But their IPA’s other than the 2 I mentioned are dreadful. I honestly don’t get the love people have for Road To Ruin. I think it’s awful.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It’s very subjective but I don’t think any of those offerings you mentioned is any better than Sam Rebel IPA which is awful. Their stouts are actually pretty decent. But their IPA’s other than the 2 I mentioned are dreadful. I honestly don’t get the love people have for Road To Ruin. I think it’s awful.

Fair enough, its definitely subjective. Fortunately there's a million breweries out there so we don't have to drink beer from the ones that we think suck.

As for R2R, I almost can't drink it out of a bottle it's that bad. But I've had it a few times fresh on tap at local bars and it's one of the best DIPAs I've ever had in that setting. Not sure why that is, as I've had it pretty fresh out of a bottle (brewed less than a month ago) and it doesn't taste anything like on tap.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Im not a fan of R2R at all. Only had bottles though.

I do like L'il heaven. I think that is a very drinkable session IPA

and Too juicy is good too.

Give it a shot if you see it on tap out at a bar; it's a lot better that way (assuming it's a fairly fresh keg).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Two Roads is playing a little bit of a different game than the rest, and playing it very well.

From what I understand, their original plan was to build a state-of-the-art facility that would primarily be used to contract brew other people's beers as regionalized brewing and distribution became more popular. Phil, the brewmaster, literally wrote the book on Saisons and has a ton of experience brewing a variety of styles and settings, but IPAs have never been his strength. In any event, their beers and their brand took off better than anticipated and I believe they have more brewing days dedicated to their own beers than anyone anticipated. I don't love any of their beers, but I think L'il Heaven is a solid session IPA and I really like their No Limits Hefewiezen, which is probably my favorite of their beers. Their Plum Gose is also very quaffable. I have heard that Two Juicy is good and that Road II Ruin is much improved, but I am pretty much done with IPAs except for something very special so I haven't had them recently.

When they open their new cask facility and start doing barrel aged and other high end, experimental stuff I expect that Phil will really shine with some of those offerings.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, its definitely subjective. Fortunately there's a million breweries out there so we don't have to drink beer from the ones that we think suck.

As for R2R, I almost can't drink it out of a bottle it's that bad. But I've had it a few times fresh on tap at local bars and it's one of the best DIPAs I've ever had in that setting. Not sure why that is, as I've had it pretty fresh out of a bottle (brewed less than a month ago) and it doesn't taste anything like on tap.

To be fair, I’ve only had it in a bottle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, as far from CT as possible but have been sampling the hell out of San Diego's breweries past few weeks.
Have tried-

Ballast Point
Bottle craft
Coin Op
Brew Project
Working Class

And for chains-
Gordon Biersch
Yardhouse
Dave and Buster's

Favorite new brand is Karl Strauss. Nice Amber and Red.

IMG_20180226_200105.jpg

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I tried it over the weekend....it is very good. Although I believe it is a trillium/lawson collabration. (not treehouse)

Yes you are right.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Had Backwoods Bastard recently from Founders Brewing - terrific beer. It's a scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels...got a nice oaky, boozy taste with a malty finish. Unfortunately it's starting to warm up, but it's really good on a nice cold night due to its warming effect. I also can't wait to try this with a nice cigar.

August_West

Reaction Score
Well, as far from CT as possible but have been sampling the hell out of San Diego's breweries past few weeks.
Have tried-

Ballast Point
Bottle craft
Coin Op
Brew Project
Working Class

And for chains-
Gordon Biersch
Yardhouse
Dave and Buster's

View attachment 28949

Poor @Rocktheworld

They are so behind the times in making great beer out there.

Reaction Score
I've been enjoying the CT Valley Brewing's New Frontier DIPA. I like that it's crisp and clean and doesn't feel like I'm drinking orange juice. I love Sip of Sunshine and Captain's Daughter, but over the last few weeks, I've been bypassing them both for this stuff. Very well balanced and also potent at 11% ABV

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've been enjoying the CT Valley Brewing's New Frontier DIPA. I like that it's crisp and clean and doesn't feel like I'm drinking orange juice. I love Sip of Sunshine and Captain's Daughter, but over the last few weeks, I've been bypassing them both for this stuff. Very well balanced and also potent at 11% ABV
It's too strong for me, I can taste the alcohol.

Reaction Score
There have been a lot of issue with CTVB. I know Trailblazer, All Aboard and others have had some oxidizing issues.

Reaction Score
There have been a lot of issue with CTVB. I know Trailblazer, All Aboard and others have had some oxidizing issues.
Maybe that's why I hadn't seen New Frontier for a few months. I haven't experienced any issues with it.

Trailblazer is everything I don't like about the DPIA craze. Thick, hazy beers that cost upwards of $5 per can.

Reaction Score
CTVB's Trailblazer was a mess when they first started brewing at South Windsor...turbid, no carbonation. I had one a few months ago and it had improved a lot. I had an Into The Woods a few weeks ago and it was a very good NEIPA. But I agree, $17 a four pack is too much.

I've been visiting Relic in Plainville every week or so and they've weaned me off Tree House. All there DIPA's are outstanding and their 6th anniversary triple was Julius on steroids.

August_West

Reaction Score
0/10 try harder after you choke down some more Pliney you scrub

Especially after I owned you in a previous discussion

I have some Pliny the Younger I just received this week.

In New England we call that dreck.

Im sorry your beers suck. Enjoy the better weather and fish tacos though. oh yeah you are a vegan, you dont even get to taste the best thing your area has to offer. Just the subpar beer.

Reaction Score
Have tried-

Ballast Point
Bottle craft
Coin Op
Brew Project
Working Class

And for chains-
Gordon Biersch
Yardhouse
Dave and Buster's

View attachment 28949
Lol new? Karl has been around longer than literally everyone in SD, since the late 80s

Coin op is a beer bar, albeit an amazing one especially the one downtown; same as brew project and bottlecraft (which bottlecraft have you been to?). Those are great places to start

But if you’re not drinking Mikkeller, Pure Project, Modern Times, Stone, and Half Door, you’re simply not trying the best the city/county has to offer, sorry

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have some Pliny the Younger I just received this week.

In New England we call that dreck.

Im sorry your beers suck. Enjoy the better weather and fish tacos though. oh yeah you are a vegan, you dont even get to taste the best thing your area has to offer. Just the subpar beer.
Lol nobody is having NE/East coast beer shipped out here. Why are you having “dreck” shipped out there? Fail again

Oh by the way speaking of great beer bars @Chin Diesel you gotta check out Hamilton’s. Funny enough, for a couple years now (just did it again Sunday) they have a big blind tasting event featuring Pliny the younger and around 15 other triple IPAs; I think this year Pliny finished its highest ever at 5th, don’t listen to Auggie he is at best a name-dropper

Reaction Score
I've been visiting Relic in Plainville every week or so and they've weaned me off Tree House. All there DIPA's are outstanding and their 6th anniversary triple was Julius on steroids.

I'm in Farmington, but have never been there. I always forget about them. I do buy their bottles and cans on occasion. I recently had Black Dawn which was a very good stout. I'm also a big fan of Firefly Coneflakes DIPA. Always on tap at J Timothy's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom