Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
8893, what did you end up buying at the Alchemist? I easily walked out of there spending over $200!!
Me personally:

4 Focal
2 Heady
1 Kadoosh (Special IPA made with Simcoe)
1 Sterk Wit (Belgian double Wit)
1 Luscious (British Imperial Stout)

And then a stop at the craft beer store in Stowe to grab seven different bottles from Frost, one Foley Brothers bottle, a couple Maine Beer Co. beers and several ciders.

Then on to Waterbury for Pro Pig and Blackback sessions and dinner.

I barely drink beer anymore and I easily spent almost $300 on stuff to bring home nonetheless. My booze fridge is at capacity.

PS: Also picked up a four pack of Lost Nation Mosaic IPA at a gas station. Love that one too.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yesterday while shoveling I stuck a can of Sea Hag in the snow. Whatever was at the bottom of the can slushed up. I was swigging when suddenly I was out of beer but the can still had heft. Kinda gross and lesson learned.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Newly legal fellow with a burgeoning taste for craft brew here - what are a few good starter options that are available in the NY metro area?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Stair...look to Singlecut Brewsmiths out of Astoria. I am 2 for 2 with their quaffs. Brooklyn Brewing is solid.

And anything from Grimm. Also, if you get Cartin from NJ, people rave about their beer "Boat", especially for summer

Reaction Score
I think it had a big advantage in that regard in the session during which I drank it because the rest were mostly PAs and IPAs, so it stood out.

I decided to take Friday off and head up to Mt. Snow for $17 lift tickets and am looking forward to grabbing what's left of the dump they got. Apparently a few more inches today, too. I think I have enough beer to last me through Spring based on my purchases in Stowe last weekend, so no more beer hunting for me. Although it shocks me to think that McNeil's in Brattleboro is now an afterthought, when they were the ones who got the whole East Coast rolling in the first wave of the beer renaissance.

I do remember McNeil's. Remember Pete's Wicked? And for the beer aficionados, Kate the Great? And for the Connecticutians Hammer and Nail?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Stair...look to Singlecut Brewsmiths out of Astoria. I am 2 for 2 with their quaffs. Brooklyn Brewing is solid.

Agreed on both. For singlecut, the billy half stack is out now, and a good introduction.

On Brooklyn - their "lager" is a damned fine starter too.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Funny you say that...went to the packy yesterday and their beer guy highly recommended SingleCut. I picked up Weird & Gilly and really enjoyed it. Very juicy, with just the right amount of bitterness in the finish. Very good! I might have to check them out when I go to Queens for the Mets.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Funny you say that...went to the packy yesterday and their beer guy highly recommended SingleCut. I picked up Weird & Gilly and really enjoyed it. Very juicy, with just the right amount of bitterness in the finish. Very good! I might have to check them out when I go to Queens for the Mets.
Half Stack was so good. Will pick up Feet Made of Lead today if its still there. And hopefully I get some Counter Weight Headway.

Counter Weight is new Hamden brewery started by founder and former Brewmaster at NEBCO.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Half Stack was so good. Will pick up Feet Made of Lead today if its still there. And hopefully I get some Counter Weight Headway.

Counter Weight is new Hamden brewery started by founder and former Brewmaster at NEBCO.

Are you reading my mind? I went into the packy yesterday looking for Counterweight, because my guy told me last week that it should be in midweek. He told me they had some sort of issue and were delayed, and probably only sending one case once they actually get the beer. So hopefully I won't have to wait too long to try it.

Reaction Score
Best Beer is whatever I'm drinking this afternoon watching the first day of March Madness - start with a couple Guiness then we'll see how it goes from there! ;)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just finished my first Luscious, the British Imperial Stout from Alchemist. It looks like motor oil. It is at turns very sweet, but somehow finishes dry. When I first poured it I thought I would never finish it (NB: pour slow; it has a huge, late-reacting rise that will overflow your glass otherwise). But it seemed like it changed with every sip. I don't drink a lot of sweet stouts, but at first it reminded me of Mackeson's Triple Stout, which I haven't had in decades. But when the booze kicks in--double the ABV of Mackeson's--and it finishes dry, it's almost like a nice whiskey finish. Great mouthfeel. Kind of like a Russian Imperial Stout.

Now I think I'll stay with the whiskey and pour myself a Green Spot for a nightcap.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Newly legal fellow with a burgeoning taste for craft brew here - what are a few good starter options that are available in the NY metro area?
My favorite readily available IPA is Lagunitas.

Reaction Score
Just finished my first Luscious, the British Imperial Stout from Alchemist. It looks like motor oil. It is at turns very sweet, but somehow finishes dry. When I first poured it I thought I would never finish it (NB: pour slow; it has a huge, late-reacting rise that will overflow your glass otherwise). But it seemed like it changed with every sip. I don't drink a lot of sweet stouts, but at first it reminded me of Mackeson's Triple Stout, which I haven't had in decades. But when the booze kicks in--double the ABV of Mackeson's--and it finishes dry, it's almost like a nice whiskey finish. Great mouthfeel. Kind of like a Russian Imperial Stout.

Now I think I'll stay with the whiskey and pour myself a Green Spot for a nightcap.
Picked up a full case of lucious last weekend. It lives up to its name.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Had a bottle of Foley Brothers Stone Milled Ale last night. Very nice, very smooth. 5.5% ABV "Vermont Style" American Pale Ale dry hopped with Citra, Simcoe, and Azacca. Would drink again!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

If they distribute Left Hand Brewing (Colorado) in CT, they're my favorite widely accessible brewery across a range of beers. But the Nitro Milk Stout is a standout.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So I'm going to a party at J. Timothy's in Plainville tonight. Looks like they have a great local beer list but I'm not that familiar with the local CT stuff. What are the best beers on here I should get?

Craft Beer CT | Draft Beer | Beers List - J. Timothy's Plainville CT

Sea Hag, Cone Flakes, and Headway. Headway is from the guy that made NEBCO famous. He recently left and started Counterweight brewing. I haven't tried his new stuff yet but the consensus is that it is excellent.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sea Hag, Cone Flakes, and Headway. Headway is from the guy that made NEBCO famous. He recently left and started Counterweight brewing. I haven't tried his new stuff yet but the consensus is that it is excellent.
+1

Add the Dogs and Boats.

What a tap list!! The guy at Counterweight is the guy responsible for giving us Sea Hag.

Reaction Score
If you're really into the juicy New England style double IPA's this is the juiciest I've ever had, and I've had all the great Tree House and Trillium beers. It's brewed by Relic from Plainville but they contract brew it at Thomas Hooker. It's like sucking on a grape Tootsie Roll Pop.

It was issued a few weeks ago, hard to find and sold out pretty quickly.
IMG_4554.JPG

Reaction Score
I think it had a big advantage in that regard in the session during which I drank it because the rest were mostly PAs and IPAs, so it stood out.

I decided to take Friday off and head up to Mt. Snow for $17 lift tickets and am looking forward to grabbing what's left of the dump they got. Apparently a few more inches today, too. I think I have enough beer to last me through Spring based on my purchases in Stowe last weekend, so no more beer hunting for me. Although it shocks me to think that McNeil's in Brattleboro is now an afterthought, when they were the ones who got the whole East Coast rolling in the first wave of the beer renaissance.

Yes, relatively against bitter IPA's I could see it being quite smooth. I think the problem I see with it is that bourbon barreling only makes it sweeter. I'm not convinced barreling is a good idea with sweet stouts. Bourbon barreling typically does well to subdue the bitterness of RIS's for me.

I had Stone's Give Me Stout Or Give Me Death last night which is another berry stout, while not amazing, a little bit more palpable to me. We ran out of Guinness, so I did my third car bomb with it.

In other news I had Bourbon County Brand Stout on nitro at Foundry in Killington the other night and it was absolutely amazing on nitro. A perfect beer after cutting through 30" of snow. What a day! I'm still sore. BCBS helped to kill the pain.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you're really into the juicy New England style double IPA's this is the juiciest I've ever had, and I've had all the great Tree House and Trillium beers. It's brewed by Relic from Plainville but they contract brew it at Thomas Hooker. It's like sucking on a grape Tootsie Roll Pop.

View attachment 20890

Thanks for the tip. A local package store has it in stock so I am excited to try it out. If it doesn't live up to your lofty expectation, well, decent beer is still beer!

Reaction Score

View attachment 20890
I like the juicy stuff. Not sure that juicy but I'd try it. Too bad J. Timothy's doesn't have it on draft.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom