Change Ad Consent OT: - Best Beer | Page 163 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Beer

-

HuskyHawk

Hoping to see something that looks like basketball
When is the IPA craze going to end? My store stopped carrying Unibroue because they simply don't sell enough. Come on people, drink more Belgian beers please!
It isn't going to end. New England IPAs are probably 2/3 the cooler at my local shops. They get way more space than even Bud Light.

Do you really have a hard time finding Belgian Ales? They sit on the shelves collecting dust mostly. I love a nice Chimay Bleu or Abt 12 now and then but can't drink them often. Despite your comment about Golden Monkey in cans, Unibroue would sell more in cans. I sometimes see the four packs, but usually it is the big format bottles that people hate.

I should drink more of those Belgian beers, and more Ayinger Celebrator too. It's interesting that they are now cheaper than the IPAs I drink. @Yardigan is evidently not buying $16-20 4 packs like I am.

It isn't going to end. New England IPAs are probably 2/3 the cooler at my local shops. They get way more space than even Bud Light.

Do you really have a hard time finding Belgian Ales? They sit on the shelves collecting dust mostly. I love a nice Chimay Bleu or Abt 12 now and then but can't drink them often. Despite your comment about Golden Monkey in cans, Unibroue would sell more in cans. I sometimes see the four packs, but usually it is the big format bottles that people hate.

I should drink more of those Belgian beers, and more Ayinger Celebrator too. It's interesting that they are now cheaper than the IPAs I drink. @Yardigan is evidently not buying $16-20 4 packs like I am.
The problem with Belgians in cans is that many of them are supposed to be exposed to continuous filtered light.

My problem is just with Unibroue disappearing from local stores. It's just better/cheaper than the alternatives (Ommegang, Allagash, Singlecut). The beers from Belgian are typically either not as good or else they are tripels and quads which are special occasion beers.

American ingenuity ;)

Bonus for me is cans are curbside recycling, glass is not. I'd put it a hair below FdM, but it's still good.
That's a pretty high recommendation. & Southern Tier is local to me--& I've never tried it!

Not gonna to go back and read this entire thread. Variety is the spice of life. That said:

1602592677627.png

Not gonna to go back and read this entire thread. Variety is the spice of life. That said:

View attachment 59810
Quite another topic, but I recently saw the Beastie Boys movie on Showtime, and I never realized how this song practically ended their careers. It became a frat anthem, which made the hip hop community disown them, and the boys themselves started partying with frat boys. They were kicked to the curb soon after that by Russell Simmons and their manager. It took a few years for them to get serious.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Heady and Focal are now being distributed to CT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Omg. I figured the beer tourism in Burlington was probably hurting. Not surprised that Alchemist is broadening distribution.

Citation needed on this one.
Well, I was wrong about the light. Was always told they need to be in bottles, but I now realize it's because bottles are stronger than cans and can withstand the secondary fermenting process in the bottles.

No, he most certainly is not spending $16 four packs.... ;)

HuskyHawk

Well, I was wrong about the light. Was always told they need to be in bottles, but I now realize it's because bottles are stronger than cans and can withstand the secondary fermenting process in the bottles.

Yes, it definitely isn't light. Light destroys beer. It is why Heineken always tasted skunked in the USA. It was. Stella almost stopped exporting to the U.S. because they hated the way their beer tasted here. So many European brands have now gone to cans or dark bottles (not green) with cardboard packaging that prevents light.

But yeah, bottle fermented beers need to be in bottles. But they don't have to be in the big ones.

HuskyHawk

Heady and Focal are now being distributed to CT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Missed opportunity that they didn't do it when it would disappear off shelves in minutes. Now it almost certainly won't be the best DIPA and IPA in the store.

I've been getting into porters more recently, there arent a lot of options honestly but i was drinking a lot of DH IPAs over the summer from some of the local places. Honestly I sometimes will feel crappy after a couple of IPAs the next day versus feeling pretty fine just sticking to porters or what not. Not sure if its just because of the high alcohol percentage or the composition of the beer but something about the fall and a nice porter or stout is nice.

Curiouser
Missed opportunity that they didn't do it when it would disappear off shelves in minutes. Now it almost certainly won't be the best DIPA and IPA in the store.
I don't recall all the details, but iirc they had a fire that delayed their expansion for a couple years, and during that time they were selling out of their full capacity without even leaving the state. I mean, even in Waitsfield you had to be in the stores when it arrived to have a chance of getting any, and they did pop up sales throughout the state that were frequently sold out within minutes. Sip definitely saw and took advantage of that opportunity by partnering with Two Roads to brew in CT to make enough capacity to meet demand within the region. I'm guessing Alchemist's new place has been open for around four years now and they finally have the capacity to make and distribute HT and FB regionally.

Curiouser
I've been getting into porters more recently, there arent a lot of options honestly but i was drinking a lot of DH IPAs over the summer from some of the local places. Honestly I sometimes will feel crappy after a couple of IPAs the next day versus feeling pretty fine just sticking to porters or what not. Not sure if its just because of the high alcohol percentage or the composition of the beer but something about the fall and a nice porter or stout is nice.
I think it's the hops that cause you to feel crappy. At least that's what I've deduced for me.

This times 100x
Eh, why does every craft brewery have to aspire to national distribution? It definitely isn't about getting bought out by the giant breweries anymore & there is now lots of room for local beers to find a niche. The Alchemist & Heady is a bit more than that and certainly profited early from scarcity, but I don't know that they need to be on shelves even all across NE. I'd rather its harder to get and that I have a few on ski trips or occasional cans make their way to MA.
For example, Trillium is building multiple brew houses, buying farms in CT = making quite a bit of $ with no distribution. I think the couples that own the Alchemist and Trillium are doing quite well for themselves and I like the beer vibe (honest part of what we pay for) as smaller, actual & perceived quality implications of harder to get.

I think it's the hops that cause you to feel crappy. At least that's what I've deduced for me.
Definitely agree. Anything more than 2 x 16 oz IPAs and it is trouble. I think it is a combo of the Hops & sugar & of course higher alcohol content. I like the Candlepins from Castle Island - taste kind of like an IPA, but lower alcohol content and effects more like domestic beer.

Definitely agree. Anything more than 2 x 16 oz IPAs and it is trouble. I think it is a combo of the Hops & sugar & of course higher alcohol content. I like the Candlepins from Castle Island - taste kind of like an IPA, but lower alcohol content and effects more like domestic beer.
I get the same bad feeling in my stomach after a couple IPAs as you guys posted. I always wondered if it was the hops since stouts don't seem to do the same to me. I guess maybe it is the hops. But of course I keep drinking the IPAs despite the bad feeling. :)