OT: Best Beer

Best craft beer in the state, don't just name the hop monsters, please name some tasty stouts and porter's too.

superjohn said:
Best craft beer in the state, don't just name the hop monsters, please name some tasty stouts and porter's too.
Well the best in state beer IMO is a hop monster so we have start there:

NEBC's Gandhi-Bot an incredible Double IPA which to me more than holds its own with the (overly?) lauded Heady Topper out of Vermont.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Well the best in state beer IMO is a hop monster so we have start there:

NEBC's Gandhi-Bot an incredible Double IPA which to me more than holds its own with the (overly?) lauded Heady Topper out of Vermont.
Agree on this, 100%. As a rule, I really enjoy NEB CO brews.

For non-hopmonster, I have been into Overshores. They are making some great Belgian beers.

WestHartHusk said:
Agree on this, 100%. As a rule, I really enjoy NEB CO brews. For non-hopmonster, I have been into Overshores. They are making some great Belgian beers.
Have you tried Zapata-bot yet? It's REALLY good.

They cracked a barrel at Prime in New Haven a couple weeks ago. Really nice.

Gandhi-Bot is really good, and it has a huge national reputation. Not a fan of canned hipster beers though.

Is this the same brew company that started in New Haven in the 80s with Elm City?

In no particular order....

Lizard Breath IPA, Firefly Hollow Brewing, Bristol CT
Rye Saison, Stubborn Beauty Brewing, Middletown, CT
Flying Jenny Extra Pale Ale, Grey Sail Brewing, Westerly, RI
White IPA, Whalers Brewing Co., Wakefield, RI
Allagash White, Allagash Brewing, Portland, ME
Hopstillo IPA, Broad Brook Brewing, E. Windsor, CT
Back Bay IPA, Boston Beer Works, Boston, MA

They are making fantastic beer at Stubborn Beauty Brewery in Middletown. The porter is especially good. Growlers only at this point and on tap at bars. Worth a trip for tastings.

Fishy

Puncher of Throats
I don't drink a heck of a lot of beer, but we were in Vermont for the marathon and they had Heady Topper at whatever place we went to on Church Street.

I failed to see the greatness of it - yes, they managed to cram all the hops in the world into it, but it tasted like a pine cone.

They are making fantastic beer at Stubborn Beauty Brewery in Middletown. The porter is especially good. Growlers only at this point and on tap at bars. Worth a trip for tastings.
Yes!!!! I tried their beers at the Ct Brewers Fest at Ski Sundown in July...amazing....Then I went straight to their booth at the September Sundown Fest...I need to get down to Middletown...Plus they get kudos for a great name.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
I had no idea you were so high brow, CT.
I kid I kid.

Here's my list:
  • Rye IPA - Harpoon, Boston MA
  • Coffeehouse Porter - Berkshire Brewing Co, Deerfield MA
  • Midnight Brett - Allagash, Portland ME
  • #6 - Magic Hat, Burlington, VT
  • Any Long Trail, Bridgewater, VT

FfldCntyFan

AD Dave is my hero!
Bot sure if they can be called the best but I do believe this place does belong on this thread:

http://halffullbrewery.com/

I'm not big on ales (pilsners are by far my preference) but this is a UConn story, I first found out about this place due to an alumni gathering there not quite a year ago. For any alumni who may have interest, there will be another gathering there in mid November. For those interested, if you aren't an active member of the alumni association, I imagine a phone call to the association would be more than enough to get an official invitation.

This also is a UConn story as the owner is a UConn grad and the funding was arranged by the alumni association matching investors with this investment opportunity.

This is owned by three Uconn grads.
http://www.topshelfbrewery.com/

Two Roads has been blowing up lately but I haven't had many of theirs yet.

I'm not a hop guy so I like Thomas Hooker's Liberator Dopplebock and NEBC Imperial Stout Trooper. I miss Hammer & Nail from the 90's.

New England wise Cambridge Brewing Co makes some great barleywines and scotch ales which are some of my favorites. There's also Portsmouth Kate the Great, Allagash Oddyssey, Smuttynose Baltic Porter and Sam Adams Utopias too.

Although not instate I felt this deserved a mention

I've only had this beer a couple of times on draft because I can't find it in package stores that I've looked in (my package store said they ordered 5 cases but sold almost immediately because everyone loves this beer)

My new favorite for fall beers (or at least one of my favorites now, albeit I've only had it at a couple of bars on draft - Plan B in Glastonbury, and the Irish bar on 66 in Hebron a few others but I know those 2 have / at least had it.)

Southern Tier Imperial Pumpking Ale

Its around 8.8% I think? Best pumpkin beer I've had well recently at least