Best and Worst Sportscasters over the years | The Boneyard

Best and Worst Sportscasters over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
With the discussion of Bob and Meghan and a few days before the next game, how 'bout a thread on our favorite/least favorite sportscasters over the years. It can be play-by-play and/or analysts and include the best, worst, most annoying and the quirkiest.

Some of the Best:

Bob Murphy (Mets)
Marv Albert and Bill "the big whistle" Chadwick calling NY Ranger games back in the day
Marty Glickman
Ray Scott (Green Bay Packers)

BTW, I think the best baseball announcing team today is the Mets' team of Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling. The viewers get great baseball analysis, music analysis, honesty and always humor. It's too bad the Mets stink.

Quirkiest

Ralph Kiner of the Mets. No one could butcher a name or a phrase like Ralph (there's a database of Kinerisms), but what a great baseball mind. He still visits the SNY booth during games and it's the only treat Mets fans have these days.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Only one name comes to mind for Most Annoying! He's not a diaper dandy either, baaayyyybeeee!!!!!!!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yes Nan -- most annoying can also be a category! I'll edit my post. I concur on your choice.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Perhaps the most controversial broadcaster in my long lifetime was Howard "tell-it-like-it-is" Cosell. He was a legend in his own mind. People either loved him or hated him. Here are some of his more memorable quotes:

"The importance that our society attaches to sport is incredible. After all, is football a game or a religion? The people of this country have allowed sports to get completely out of hand."

"The ultimate victory in competition is derived from the inner satisfaction of knowing that you have done your best and that you have gotten the most out of what you had to give."

"What's right isn't always popular. What's popular isn't always right."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ah, yes, Howard Cosell. I liked him. He often said what others wouldn't and every part of our society and culture needs a voice like that. I think out current sports culture could use a voice like Howard's.

Plus, I shared his affection and admiration for Muhammad Ali.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I used to enjoy Bill Gardner's calling of the Whaler games. He could call the action and make you laugh at the same time. "What a great move by Shanahan! There's a Bruins defender that left some lingerie on the ice!".

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Most annoying analyst: Tim McCarver. (That cbb idiot is in a class of his own.)

Football. Best play-by-play: Al Michaels. Best analyst: Phil Simms.

Best basketball play-by-play: Marv Albert. Best analyst: Kara Lawson.

Going back a few years, Red Barber was a special baseball announcer and I miss the uniqueness of Johnny Most (Celtics) and Dizzy Dean (weekly baseball on BW TV, sharing the mike with PeeWee Reese).

As a native Pittsburgher, I recall the characters who did baseball (Rosey Rosewell and Bob Prince) and "Stiller" football (Myron Cope, creator of the Terrible Towel).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
While not a sportscaster I can't stand Chris Berman of ESPN. I don't see how he keeps his job.

What I don't understand is, it appears once a sportcaster/analyst gets 5 or more years experience, they don't lose their jobs. They're kind of like baseball managers, there's always someone that will hire them.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Still one of the most amazing sportscasters is Vince Scully. He calls Dodger games all by himself, i.e., with no analyst by his side. His grasp of the game, the players, stats is still remarkable.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The sound of summer, to me, was hearing Sean McDonough call Red Sox games. He and Bob Montgomery were a terrific team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Vin is a legend. He has been calling Dodger games since well before they moved from Brooklyn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin_Scully

Not to be confused with Vincent Scully, who is a legend at Yale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Scully

Living in Philly for 15 years, I came to apprecialte the late Harry Kalas. He was also the voice of NFL films after John Facenda (speaker of "The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field"), who was a newscaster, but had a voice that rivaled Bob Shepard. Some greats, including 2 "Voices of God":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Kalas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Facenda

Sample of his work: [

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Sheppard

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I love Dickie V...

Bob P isnt bad but number of home wins against unranked opponents is boring

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Cousy & Heinson are the worst... they think they are in uniform or atleast coaching on the sideline.

Gorman is cool

Reaction Score
Ah, yes, Howard Cosell. I liked him. He often said what others wouldn't and every part of our society and culture needs a voice like that. I think out current sports culture could use a voice like Howard's.

Amen sister! You are a wise woman. Howie was the best! He was an oasis of intelligence in the wasteland of sports journalism.

Reaction Score
As a native Pittsburgher, I recall the characters who did baseball (Rosey Rosewell and Bob Prince) and "Stiller" football (Myron Cope What a great voice! Yoi! Remember the "Coperascope?", creator of the Terrible Towel).
Bob "The Gunner" Prince! Blue lightening! Arriba, arriba, ROBERTO! Never underestimate the power of the Green Weenie! Geez, you are bring back the memories. Remember "a bloop and a blast?" How about there is a bug loose on the rug? Chicken on the hill, Will! Too many Gunnerisms!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Favs: Pat Summerall and John Madden.

People forget they worked together for 22 years. Summerall was a great straight man for Madden.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'll give a shout-out for Terry Gannon and Rebecca Lobo who do a number of WNBA games. They have a nice rapport and both are pretty funny. Of course, Rebecca with anyone is going to be good.

Reaction Score
Vin Scully and anyone else who has perfected the art of letting silence lengthen during particularly magnificent moments.

Any sportscaster who doesn't clutter the airwaves with senseless patter.

(Don't watch enough sports to know many names.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Cousy & Heinson are the worst... they think they are in uniform or atleast coaching on the sideline.

Gorman is cool
Only Celtics fans could love those guys. They are classics, however.

I still recall Cousy on ABC with "Kwis" Schenkel.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I agree with my friend Cat (as usual). Adding some intelligence and literacy to the broadcast was never a bad thing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One of my favorites Ray Hudson. He does soccer color. (if only some of our American broadcasters were half as good)

A few of his gems:

"Braver than a matador in high heels....and a pink tutu"

"Barcelona have been constipated in front of goal. It's like a 3 pound chicken trying to lay a 4 pound egg."

"He needs to be on his tippy-toes, like a midget at a urinal."

"Lionel Messi, man, like a zombie hunter looking for a Twinkie." (for those of you who have seen Zombieland)

"Don't look for him in the Xs and Os, he doesn't live there. He doesn't live in the the tactical world, or the technical world, he lives in the magnetic spectrum of genius." (also about Messi)

"That was an absolute pearler of a goal. He doesn't need to look because he knows the goalpost ain't movin'."

"Defending this team is like trying to nail Jell-O to the ceiling."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Marv Albert is a terrific play-by-play guy for basketball. Not even a sordid sex scandal could keep him down for very long- that's how good he was.

A CFB game always felt bigger if Keith Jackson was calling it.

Mary Carillo is excellent for color analysis in tennis.

Chris Collinsworth has grown on me for NFL games.

Jim Nantz gets the job done.

From an analyst position, Trent Dilfer is really progressing for NFL.

Men, ladies, children, and puppies all love Kirk Herbstreit. Just accept that.

For WBB, give me Beth Mowins, Kara Lawson, Rebecco Lobo, Brooke Weisbroad, and Katie Christenson...and Doris in moderate doses.

Bill Walton- good insights, great voice, master of hyperbole

People I'm less fond of:

Brent Musberger- legend in his own mind, annoying faux-folksie style, totally understand why Jimmy the Greek punched him in the face.

Bob "That's a big play in this foot-BAW game" Davie

Pam Ward- Just no.

Dickie V- "Helloooooooooooooo...he's awesome bay-bee....[something about Duke]...ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh...he's awesome bay-bee..ACC...[something about Duke]...he's a diaper dandy...ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!...[something about Duke]...[something about Duke]...[Duke]...[Duke]...[Duke]..." Dammit, Dickie V got stuck in a loop again! Someone go down there and hit him in the back of the head!

Mike Patrick- Just found his delivery irritating.

Joe Buck- smarmy, sanctimonous, monotonous .

And most of the crews who do local NBA broadcasts for the various Fox Sports and Comcast Sports affiliates. I have NBA League Pass, so I hear them all. They're generally pretty rough.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A CFB game always felt bigger if Keith Jackson was calling it

Agreed.

Men, ladies, children, and puppies all love Kirk Herbstreit. Just accept that.

Especially the ladies. Heck he's even caused me to stop and stare and I don't even play for that team.

Reaction Score
Still one of the most amazing sportscasters is Vince Scully. He calls Dodger games all by himself, i.e., with no analyst by his side. His grasp of the game, the players, stats is still remarkable.
Yes, I believe Vinny is starting his 62nd year with the Dodgers next year. He does both radio and TV for the first half of each game(alone, as you stated). He learned the trade from Red Barber in Brooklyn in the early 1950's.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The more I think of this the more names come to mind.

For college basketball games, is there a better, funnier and more informative team than Sean McDonough, Jay Bilas and Bill Raftery? (I didn't realize McDonough did Red Sox games). These 3 guys are hilarious. I watch games I don't care much about just to listen to them. Their call of the UConn-Syracuse 6-overtime thriller a few years ago was one for the ages. They would also be fun to have a beer with. From what I understand, Raftery is no stranger to a cocktail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom