Beruuuuuuuuuube | The Boneyard

Beruuuuuuuuuube

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Until Geno retires. :)
You know you comment is timely from this respect, the St. Louis Coach Lisa Stone was 311-91 at D3 before going D1 at Drake, Wisconsin and now St. Louis (299-232 at D1).
While Carla is clearly the most successful protege of Geno’s and knows how to coach, I don’t think you can turn over this job to someone who has not recruited at this level for their 1st job. She would need to prove she could get in the talent to coach first.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
You know you comment is timely from this respect, the St. Louis Coach Lisa Stone was 311-91 at D3 before going D1 at Drake, Wisconsin and now St. Louis (299-232 at D1).
While Carla is clearly the most successful protege of Geno’s and knows how to coach, I don’t think you can turn over this job to someone who has not recruited at this level for their 1st job. She would need to prove she could get in the talent to coach first.

Beruuuuuuuuuube!!! Beruuuuuuuuuube!!! Beruuuuuuuuuube!!!
She has more experience as a head coach than Geno did when he was hired.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
But UConn wasn't UConn when Geno took it over. Let me ask you this-would you rather have Carla Berube or a Scott Rueck type? I mean if we aren't going after the best of the best when Geno's time comes, the program will suffer the same fate as UCLA and Tenn.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I don't know why, but maybe because D 3 and D I are sorta apples and oranges, what just popped into my head was a promotional item out of Mulkey's sports department:

I'd be embarassed.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
But UConn wasn't UConn when Geno took it over. Let me ask you this-would you rather have Carla Berube or a Scott Rueck type? I mean if we aren't going after the best of the best when Geno's time comes, the program will suffer the same fate as UCLA and Tenn.
UCONN doesn't have enough money to lure Scott Rueck away from a Power 5 conference to a two bit conference in the hinterlands of Nowhere, CT.

Carla Berube
A national Coach of the Year honoree as well as the head coach of the USA Basketball Women's U16 and U17 National Teams, Carla Berube is in her 17th season leading the Jumbos.

Coach Berube guided Tufts into the NCAA "Final Four" in four consecutive seasons (2014-17), including two straight appearances in the national championship game. During her tenure, the team has received 10 NCAA berths overall and has a 30-12 record in those games (.714 winning percentage).

Presented with the Pat Summitt Trophy as the 2015 United States Marine Corps / Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) NCAA Division III National Coach of the Year, Coach Berube's teams have compiled a 356-93 overall record for an outstanding .793 winning percentage.

In April 2017, Berube was selected head coach of the USA Basketball Women's U16 National Team by the USA Basketball Women's Developmental National Team Committee. She guided the team to a 5-0 record at the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) Americas Championship in Argentina including a 91-46 win over Canada to win the gold medal. That victory qualified Coach Berube and the team for a berth in the 2018 FIBA U17 World Cup, which they won this past summer including a 92-40 victory over France in the final. In December 2017, she was a co-recipients of the USA Basketball Developmental Coach of the Year Award.

Tufts is well established as a national power under Coach Berube. The Jumbos have a 144-16 overall record since the 2013-14 season when they made their first "Final Four" appearance. Berube was the WBCA's NCAA Division III Regional Coach of the Year for three consecutive seasons from 2013-15, and repeated as D3hoops.com Northeast Region Coach of the Year in 2014-15. She was also selected by the WBCA as the New England Coach of the Year for the 2007-08 season, giving her four of those honors overall. The team's final records of 30-3 in 2016-17, 30-3 in 2014-15, 30-3 in 2013-14, 28-4 in 2015-16, 26-4 in 2007-08, 26-5 in 2017-18, 25-3 in 2012-13, 23-7 in 2011-2012, 22-5 in 2008-09 and 21-6 in 2009-10 - all achieved under Coach Berube - are the best win totals in Jumbo history.

In the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC), Coach Berube has guided Tufts to two conference titles and eight league championship games overall. The team has a 47-3 record against league opponents from 2014-18 and an 88-17 record against conference opponents since 2007. Berube is a five-time NESCAC Coach of the Year.

Reaction Score
UCONN doesn't have enough money to lure Scott Rueck away from a Power 5 conference to a two bit conference in the hinterlands of Nowhere, CT.

Carla Berube
A national Coach of the Year honoree as well as the head coach of the USA Basketball Women's U16 and U17 National Teams, Carla Berube is in her 17th season leading the Jumbos.

Coach Berube guided Tufts into the NCAA "Final Four" in four consecutive seasons (2014-17), including two straight appearances in the national championship game. During her tenure, the team has received 10 NCAA berths overall and has a 30-12 record in those games (.714 winning percentage).

Presented with the Pat Summitt Trophy as the 2015 United States Marine Corps / Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) NCAA Division III National Coach of the Year, Coach Berube's teams have compiled a 356-93 overall record for an outstanding .793 winning percentage.

In April 2017, Berube was selected head coach of the USA Basketball Women's U16 National Team by the USA Basketball Women's Developmental National Team Committee. She guided the team to a 5-0 record at the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) Americas Championship in Argentina including a 91-46 win over Canada to win the gold medal. That victory qualified Coach Berube and the team for a berth in the 2018 FIBA U17 World Cup, which they won this past summer including a 92-40 victory over France in the final. In December 2017, she was a co-recipients of the USA Basketball Developmental Coach of the Year Award.

Tufts is well established as a national power under Coach Berube. The Jumbos have a 144-16 overall record since the 2013-14 season when they made their first "Final Four" appearance. Berube was the WBCA's NCAA Division III Regional Coach of the Year for three consecutive seasons from 2013-15, and repeated as D3hoops.com Northeast Region Coach of the Year in 2014-15. She was also selected by the WBCA as the New England Coach of the Year for the 2007-08 season, giving her four of those honors overall. The team's final records of 30-3 in 2016-17, 30-3 in 2014-15, 30-3 in 2013-14, 28-4 in 2015-16, 26-4 in 2007-08, 26-5 in 2017-18, 25-3 in 2012-13, 23-7 in 2011-2012, 22-5 in 2008-09 and 21-6 in 2009-10 - all achieved under Coach Berube - are the best win totals in Jumbo history.

In the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC), Coach Berube has guided Tufts to two conference titles and eight league championship games overall. The team has a 47-3 record against league opponents from 2014-18 and an 88-17 record against conference opponents since 2007. Berube is a five-time NESCAC Coach of the Year.
She'd be my US Olympic coach now. She has "It".

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
First off, I said a Scott Rueck "type" meaning quality coach who has proven it at a high D1 level. Second, Rueck makes $810 K per year with his latest contract, Geno is making $1.95, so UConn does have the money. Third, Corvallis isn't exactly a metropolis vs. the Northeast. Fourth, we all know Carla's accomplishments on this site so thanks, but it was unnecessary. As I stated Recruiting and Coaching are key for a successful program with recruiting being more important.

Last, this is a discussion so why are you now denigrating the school and conference? If it's that bad go to another site and vent your negativity there. No need for that here.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"DefenseBB, post: 2946479, member: 7492"]
First off, I said a Scott Rueck "type" meaning quality coach Which is exactly what Berube is. who has proven it at a high D1 level Irrelavent. Second, Rueck makes $810 K per year with his latest contract, Geno is making $1.95, so UConn does have the money. You don't get it. What is the draw to coach at UCONN? Leave everything you built to replace a legend and most successful WCB coach? These type of coaches want create their own legacy, not try to extend someone else's legacy. Third, Corvallis isn't exactly a metropolis vs. the Northeast. But it is in a beautiful state without brutal winters. Hard sell to the family. Fourth, we all know Carla's accomplishments on this site But clearly you don't. so thanks, but it was unnecessary. As I stated Recruiting and Coaching are key for a successful program with recruiting being more important. Carla has been involved in USA women's basketball. She knows these kids and they know her. She would be magnet to them.

Last, this is a discussion so why are you now denigrating the school and conference? If it's that bad go to another site and vent your negativity there. No need for that here.[/QUOTE]

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I don't know why, but maybe because D 3 and D I are sorta apples and oranges, what just popped into my head was a promotional item out of Mulkey's sports department:

I'd be embarassed.

She won't be! ;)

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

I'd be embarassed.

The only angle I can see if it's because so many of her contemporaries have hit the 1,000 milestone so Baylor wants her to also be remembered in with them. I mean from the top, she's not at the level of Summitt or Geno and will never be. Barbara Stevens is D2 (great coach but still D2). Next is an interesting collection of coaches-Tara, Hatchell, Stringer, Foster, Conradt, To me, she's better than Stringer, Hatchell, Foster, and Conradt without question.

Her grouping would be Tara and McGraw and not only is she younger she's also a bit behind based on resume's. To wit:
Kim has 2 titles with 2 different classes of kids (2005, 2012), 1 other Final Four-2010
Tara has 2 titles and both with Jen Azzi as a player. She's been to 2 other finals and 8 other Final Fours
MM has won 2 titles, been in 4 other finals and 2 other final fours.

We see kooky stuff all the time out of University Media Departments so this fits that bill. And yes, Kim had to sign off on it as no media promotions are sent out without approval.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@DefenseBB : "We see kooky stuff all the time out of University Media Departments so this fits that bill. And yes, Kim had to sign off on it as no media promotions are sent out without approval." I'd be mortified to have this beyond reachy nonsense pushed out about me, particularly that claim of some other head coaches victories at La Tech. No appreciation for how it would appear to anyone but her of inflated opinion of her own greatness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom