Berry Tramel - Big 12's academic status on the rise | The Boneyard

Berry Tramel - Big 12's academic status on the rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Kansas State, WVU and Texas Tech are now classified as Research I status by Carnegie.

Carnegie I and the AAU are the most recognized indicators of academic prowess. The AAU has 62 members; Carnegie has approximately 115 (its website is so bad, it’s hard to find any specific information). But either way, the Big 12 has made strides in its academic reputation.

Of course, none of this is important to the conference’s reputation as, say, winning the College Football Playoff. But it’s still important. It matters on campuses. Universities like to be associated with other prestigious universities. Consider it a brick of stability in a league that needs a new foundation. You’ve got to start somewhere.
UConn and UC are both Carnegie I "Highest research activity" (So are UCF, USF, Houston) . BYU is "Higher research activity" along with Memphis.

Last edited:

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
See, the B-12 was smart in not grabbing The Community College of Louisville. That alone would have canceled out the Carnegie news.

Reaction Score
I don't know where Tramel gets his info because he doesn't cite it, but there is no 1, 2, 3 tier inside the Carnegie ratings. That ended many years ago. But if he is discussing the research tier as being a 1, then he needs to acknowledge that within that tier there are a good many breakdowns. VHR, HR, etc. which stands for Very High research, High Research, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1
Top Bottom