Berry Tramel - Academics matters in conference realignment | The Boneyard

Berry Tramel - Academics matters in conference realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I dropped the tweet where this came from into "Key Tweets but so as not to have someone incur the wrath of you know who.. for discussion purposes I will add this here.

http://newsok.com/academics-matters-in-conference-realignment/article/5473247

>>“Just read your article on the Big 12 that mentioned AAU membership. Here's some background that may be useful to you. AAU membership and "Carnegie Classification" are the two best-known indications of elite academic status. There are 62 AAU members and 108 "Carnegie I" universities (all AAU members also are Carnegie I). Here's how the Power 5 conferences compare by those two criteria:

“Big 10: 14 members, 14 Carnegie I, 13 AAU
“PAC 10: 12 members, 12 Carnegie I, 8 AAU
“ACC: 15 members (including Notre Dame), 11 Carnegie I, 5 AAU
“SEC: 14 members, 11 Carnegie I, 4 AAU
“Big 12: 10 members, 4 Carnegie I, 3 AAU.

“The Big 12 is the only Power 5 conference with a majority of non-elite university members, which gives it an academic profile more similar to the various mid-major conferences.

“When Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M left the Big 12, that was an academic loss of 4 Carnegie I and 4 AAU members (although Nebraska subsequently lost its AAU status). In return, the Big 12 added West Virginia and TCU, neither of which is a Carnegie I institution. Of the current Big 12 members, Kansas State, OSU, TCU, West Virginia, Baylor and Texas Tech are unlikely to gain Carnegie I status in the next decade.

“In thinking about new Big 12 schools, Houston, Colorado State, South Florida, Central Florida, New Mexico and Connecticut all are Carnegie I universities. In particular, Colorado State, South Florida, Central Florida and UConn are on growth curves that conceivably could lead to AAU membership at some point.

“In contrast, BYU, SMU, Memphis and Boise State are not Carnegie I and are unlikely to become such.

“OU is unlikely to become an AAU member, as it would have to at least double its current annual research expenditures from nationally competitive grants and currently has no National Academy of Sciences members (most AAU members have at least 10 NAS members and many have significantly more — none has fewer than five NAS members). That kind of change would require at least a decade to accomplish before being considered for AAU (which then has further political barriers to admission).

“Hope this helps.”<<

More in link.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
FWIW, we're the #14 public FBS school per U.S. News.

I know many people scoff at U.S. News, but that ranking can't hurt.

Reaction Score
In his prior article which he links to in this most recent article, he states that South Carolina and Texas A&M are not state flagships. I believe both are "flagships" but I could be wrong. I also don't buy the AAU factor, especially regarding Oklahoma, when Nebraska remains a current B1G member.
That said, I do believe UCONN is in a great position academically to improve any conference.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
In his prior article which he links to in this most recent article, he states that South Carolina and Texas A&M are not state flagships. I believe both are "flagships" but I could be wrong. I also don't buy the AAU factor, especially regarding Oklahoma, when Nebraska remains a current B1G member.
That said, I do believe UCONN is in a great position academically to improve any conference.
Nebraska was AAU when they were accepted into the conference. Can't kick them out once you let them in. If that were the case, Rutgers........

Reaction Score
Nebraska was AAU when they were accepted into the conference. Can't kick them out once you let them in. If that were the case, Rutgers...
Understood. My point is that the B1G does not consist of only AAU programs. Can't change that fact.

Reaction Score
Understood. My point is that the B1G does not consist of only AAU programs. Can't change that fact.
But they were when they got in so they met the criteria.....

Reaction Score
Oklahoma would be the ultimate temptation for the Big10. There are not too many programs who bring the football pedigree Oklahoma does and Oklahoma in the Big10 would go along way to countering ESPN's promoted "the SEC, the best football conference in America."

The opposite is also true. If the SEC acquired Oklahoma then the balance of football perception clearly shifts in the SEC direction. I am sure the Big10 would feel some pressure not to allow the SEC another premiere program. If the Big10 doesn't take Oklahoma then their best case is Oklahoma stays in the Big12 or goes to the PAC10

Would the Big10 compromise their academics standards to acquire Oklahoma? Past behavior does not always indicate future behavior when it comes to academics....think Louisville in the ACC

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yeah. I'm hoping B1G decides to go really B1G and adds KU-OU-UT-UConn.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I think OU goes B1G and I think it is without UT. KU would make sense as the partner with OU for 16 but obviously I would rather it be UConn. Think our best bet for B1G is if OU winds up in the SEC and we can either join the B1G with KU or another East Coast University (VT/UVA/GT)

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, the only conference that considers academics is the Big 10 - otherwise it's all about football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom