Benefits of the transfer portal | The Boneyard

Benefits of the transfer portal

Reaction Score
I saw this article and it had me thinking. If Hurley goes looking for a transfer guard what can he expect to get? Who knows, maybe Diggins makes a big leap next year.

Out of the top 6 basketball conferences there were 13 former transfers on their first team all conference. That's a decent percentage. The B1G was the only conference which didn't have a transfer on their first team. If you look at the AAC as the 7th conference you can add Carlton to that list (haven't looked at the other players on the AAC first team).

So there's certainly precedent here for getting a top flight player to come in for a year (or two). You'd then have a junior Diggins who is hopefully ready and a 5 star freshman in Castle in 2023. Seems completely reasonable for Hurley to hit the transfer portal for the right player. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If Cole comes back I think we need to bring in a transfer guard. If Cole doesn't come back I think we need to bring in 2 transfer guards
if cole comes back i think we need to bring in a transfer guard and forward. if cole doesnt come back i think we need to bring in 2 transfer guards and a transfer forward.

Reaction Score
Shot creator, and one we know will be ready day 1.

Cole isn't a shot creator 1v1 as good as he is. Diggins is a pass first point. Gaffney is what he is... Hawkins has such a limited handle you can't count on him, and Jackson still can't make a layup. We relied on Bouk so much, we kind of forgot that having a couple guys on the roster that can get a bucket at will is a necessity.

Yeah, they aren't the most high percentage shots, but we need something other than throw it to Sanogo and hope for the best or let Cole shoot 2/10 from the field when our initial sets get blown up by the defense. We don't want to play iso ball, but somebody that CAN on the roster is a necessity.

Reaction Score
if cole comes back i think we need to bring in a transfer guard and forward. if cole doesnt come back i think we need to bring in 2 transfer guards and a transfer forward.
Akinjo?

Reaction Score
Note that 9 of those 13 came from other power conference schools (counting Cincinnati, since they used to be and they'll be B12 soon enough).

Up transfers are very hit or miss. RJ Cole is actually one of the only big success stories this season (and it took him a 2nd season to adjust).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom