Benedict Owns This Mess | The Boneyard

Benedict Owns This Mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
tbh in this environment a $5 mil buyout is not really that bad if you have someone competent on deck
who's going to pay for it? Do we have any donors in Benedict's ear?

Reaction Score
Grab TJ for 750k and adjust as we can payout of this mess. We have to do something to free ourselves from being stuck in neutral year over year. I know he might not be the best answer, but you've got to know when you're working with a losing hand.

Reaction Score
Diaco isn't going anywhere, but he needs a talking to. 1st and goal from 8, 4 straight runs. Opponent promptly goes 99yds by throwing on 3rd 7 from the shadow of their own endzone.

I get the differing philosophy between the 2 teams but Diaco coaches too scared. On the pick 6 drive the previous 2 plays were a QB draw, and QB keeper to set up 3rd and long. This way too conservative approach has us always playing from behind and one pick 6, virtually assures defeat. It is too hard to expect the kids to always be perfect.

Reaction Score
I don't buy the we can't afford it schtick. For a few reasons. We can't afford to have another losing season and we can't afford to have lousy crowds either. And the more years of bad football you hAve the harder it is to turn things around and rebuild fan support. Plus most of these deals are not 1 time payouts. They are paid over the remainder of the contract and are offset by any other job the guy gets. When you know a guy is not the right one it is stupid to keep him around just for money. In the long run it is a mistake.

Fwiw I would be talking to Greg Schiano to see if he wants to get back as a head coach.

Reaction Score
I don't buy the we can't afford it schtick. For a few reasons. We can't afford to have another losing season and we can't afford to have lousy crowds either. And the more years of bad football you hAve the harder it is to turn things around and rebuild fan support. Plus most of these deals are not 1 time payouts. They are paid over the remainder of the contract and are offset by any other job the guy gets. When you know a guy is not the right one it is stupid to keep him around just for money. In the long run it is a mistake.

Fwiw I would be talking to Greg Schiano to see if he wants to get back as a head coach.

Bite your tongue!

Reaction Score

Are you crazy? I guess you didn't pay attention to the revolving OC's he had at RU.

Reaction Score
1/15/2016-12/31/2016 - $5M
1/1/2017-12/31/2017 - $3.5M
1/1/2018-12/31/2018 - $1.7M
1/1/2019-12/31/2019 - $1M

We're stuck with him until 2018, at least. Would be nice if he leaves on his own.

I can't believe UConn agreed to these terms. Diaco's new name is Diablo.
His old boss is 1-5 in the last 6 games he has coached against top 25 teams...and at 1-3 with the possibility of not being bowl eligible...is in desperate need of a DC. Who knows maybe Diaco decides to run back to South Bend.

Reaction Score
Diaco isn't going anywhere, but he needs a talking to. 1st and goal from 8, 4 straight runs. Opponent promptly goes 99yds by throwing on 3rd 7 from the shadow of their own endzone.

I get the differing philosophy between the 2 teams but Diaco coaches too scared. On the pick 6 drive the previous 2 plays were a QB draw, and QB keeper to set up 3rd and long. This way too conservative approach has us always playing from behind and one pick 6, virtually assures defeat. It is too hard to expect the kids to always be perfect.

He doesn't need a talking to. He needs an exorcism to his approach on offense. The guy isn't happy unless we're tied or behind to actually run an offense. Even then we're way behind because of our so-called "identity" that we have to play towards.

Reaction Score

W/out P5 money we are subsidizing our athletic dept to the tune of $25M a year. $5M is nothing to sneeze at, but it can be dealt with.

Reaction Score
He doesn't need a talking to. He needs an exorcism to his approach on offense. The guy isn't happy unless we're tied or behind to actually run an offense. Even then we're way behind because of our so-called "identity" that we have to play towards.
He needs the "talk". The one that says, you're in year 3 and your offense sucks. Year 1, was one long excuse of "were not there yet, but we will get there ". I'mean sick of the "players ain't good enough". The way we recruit, that will always be the excuse. Recruit like a MAC school, and play offense like one. I think you're spot on. If the game is tied or within 1 possession, we will almost always run 1st and 2nd downs setting up 3rd and long. This guy wants to win games by taking no risks. I mean other than his fake kicks. It's all or nothing with this guy. Usually nothing though.

Reaction Score
He coaches like we are built and expecting to win based on a solid defense, a solid running game, and solid special teams, except we don't have a solid defense, s solid running game, and solid special teams.

We're 4 games in, and 2-2. It could easily be 4-0 or 0-4 or anywhere between.

We need to recruit better offensive lineman.

Reaction Score
The highest paid assistant is at 1.6 mil. ND would probably have to offer 2+ mil for Diaco to leave.

Maybe Benedict can call Swarbrick??

Reaction Score
Yes we need to recruit better offensive linemen. And how do you sell this offense?

Reaction Score
I pray Brian Kelly will hire him back. I hope he will leave on his own. I know he won't, but it's nice to hope and pray.

We need a fresh start. This is unacceptable. We are an embarrassment. I would take TJ back for $800k and fire Diaco on 1/1/17. Effective buyout for Diaco is $2.5M since we would save $1M in Diaco salary. I am sure there is a donor willing to put up $2.5M.

Reaction Score
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

So there's hope?

$2.5m is not alot considering the dire situation we are in. We discussed this after the Navy game, nothing has changed with my thought. We were lucky to beat UVA, but bad coaching eventually will bring us back to the ground.

If money is an issue, hire TJ for $800k comes 1/1/17. I hope we will have fans by then. This will be a long season like the PP era.

Memphis looks like they hired a good coach. I have no idea why we keep hiring horrible coaches that believe in 50's offense style.

Reaction Score
Memphis looks like they hired a good coach. I have no idea why we keep hiring horrible coaches that believe in 50's offense style.

Since Diaco was a DC gonna bet he sold Warde a bill of goods that he was bringing the run-and-shoot here. Warde should have intervened when he hired retread Patterson as the OC for year 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom