Bench Gibbs | The Boneyard

Bench Gibbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yup,

What to do with Dham? Rebounds, but that's it. Yeah he hits some shots but how many do you get to hit one?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The problem with starting Calhoun and Gibbs is that neither of them can beat their man off the dribble and UConn no longer runs an offense that has players run their defender ragged through screens.

Adams and Purvis can beat their men off dribbles but Purvis is a complete disaster finishing at the rim.

Gibbs has a very good skill that this team can use. He is a very good spot up three point shooter. Right now Gibbs' issues are as much an indictment of the coaching staff not figuring out how to incorporate Gibbs' skillset in to an offense.

Reaction Score
Its not the benching in as much as the in game corrections. The errors these guys 'are allowed' to make is excessive. Gibbs and DHam should be immediately corrected even if benched 10 times a half until they get the message.

Not sure the patting on the butt works with some of these players.

Reaction Score
I said it after the Maryland game and my mind hasn't changed since. Jalen at the 1, Gibbs and purvis split time at shooting guard. You don't need to bench Gibbs, but he hasn't looked like a PG at all this year. Nobody except JA should be initiating this offense.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I said it after the Maryland game and my mind hasn't changed since. Jalen at the 1, Gibbs and purvis split time at shooting guard. You don't need to bench Gibbs, but he hasn't looked like a PG at all this year. Nobody except JA should be initiating this offense.
This. We get he shouldn't be running the point, but without his shooting they don't come back and make it close I think he finished 3/5 from deep. Benching him would be stupid.

Reaction Score
This. We get he shouldn't be running the point, but without his shooting they don't come back and make it close I think he finished 3/5 from deep. Benching him would be stupid.
He also gave up a wide open 3, a lay-up and fouled one of their best free throw shooter 90 feet away from the basket. Also, when he's playing point he can't create any offense and is slow to even get a set play started.
I'd love to see a stat if it were available for how many times his player scores or breaks him down to create a wide open shot for some else.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
He also gave up a wide open 3, a lay-up and fouled one of their best free throw shooter 90 feet away from the basket. Also, when he's playing point he can't create any offense and is slow to even get a set play started.
I'd love to see a stat if it were available for how many times his player scores or breaks him down to create a wide open shot for some else.
Did I say I support him playing the point? (Hint: Answer is.....No) All I said is if he is playing the 2 his shooting is still a valuable asset to this team, I didn't mention his poor defense etc, but benching him is not the answer if you think it is smh.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The slap in the back court by Gibbs away from the ball was a momentum killer for us and aid to Cincinnati that couldn't have come at a worse time.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Gibbs hit a couple a big shots tonite. His steadiness and outside shot is still extremely important to this team

At this point his role should be that of a reserve. His poor judgement offsets most of the positive elements he brings. We've had games that we wouldn't have won without him, but we've had a good amount of losses where he played a big role in things going south. I'm not saying he's solely responsible, but he has no business starting on this team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
SG has been a disappointment to me this year.
After watching him several times at SH I thought we had something rather special.
I don't think you bench someone of his shooting ability but he has proven thus far that he cannot be a PG
I feel that JA should be given the opportunity and play SG at the 2 with RP and OC coming off the bench if SG isn't hitting shots as the 2
You can't bench DHam

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Gibbs hit a couple a big shots tonite. His steadiness and outside shot is still extremely important to this team
I don't think anyone said kick him off the team (then again I wouldn't be surprised if someone said that in this cesspool). It's just so incredibly important that this team gets off to a fast start so we aren't chasing like yesterday and many other times this season. Jalen provides more of an ability to bring energy from the tip than Gibbs.
It's simple, we can't keep scoring like 12 points in the first ten minutes, and Adams is better at creating offense than Gibbs.
With that said, Gibbs' 3 point shooting is vital during the heart of the game.

Reaction Score
Its not the benching in as much as the in game corrections. The errors these guys 'are allowed' to make is excessive. Gibbs and DHam should be immediately corrected even if benched 10 times a half until they get the message.

Not sure the patting on the butt works with some of these players.
We're not a mentally talented team. Hamilton is 2nd in rebounding and 2nd in assists in the league. When you bench him you just put in another guy who also makes mistakes while not being as good at those things as Hamilton.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Adams deserves to play point. But, speaking of slow starts, did any of you notice his performance in the first half?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Adams deserves to play point. But, speaking of slow starts, did any of you notice his performance in the first half?
He shot poorly (missed a layup I believe) but didn't turn it over and kill the offense. He realized his shot wasn't going in and stopped shooting. Either that's indicative of a good shooter, or KO's leash pulled him to the bench. I'll go with the first.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think the guys pushing Adams have always ignored any bad play on his part. He is talented and learning.

Reaction Score
Gibbs has strengths but point guard mentality is not one of them. I feel pretty confident when he is breaking the press or handling the ball against pressure defense but the offence is stagnant when he has the ball in his hands. It's true that Adams get more forgiveness for his mistakes because he's a freshman.
I feel like this is a team without a defined PG. Not common for a Husky team. Without that leader identifiable leader to look to the team has never been able to put the individual talents to use consistently and in tough times on the floor.
We're a powerboat without a rudder.

H

huskymagic

3 plays in this game are indicative of why Gibbs hurts this team:
1.) 3 on 1 fast break and he selfishly doesn't pass to the open man and gets rejected by the Cinci guy.
2.) Clock winding down, Omar passes to him to take a 3, he doesn't realize the clock situation and doesn't get a shot off.
3.) That foul 90 feet away from the basket stopping the momentum we had at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
If there's one thing we learned watching UConn basketball for the past 25 years, it's that teams don't win without a good PG. Gibbs is not a PG, nor is Hamilton, only Jalen is a PG and Ollie needs to make the investment now, unless there are behavior problems, or our season ends poorly.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
KO can start Adams (and should IMO), but for the team to succeed, the other guys have to embrace Jalen in that role. When he comes in the game, I see him continuing to defer and I also don't see Hamilton or Gibbs giving him the reins. There needs to be an acceptance that he needs to be the catalyst, the point guard, and I have yet to see that. I hope that KO and team can get there because it's getting very late for such a shift. It seems like KO would need to move away from his "positionless" approach to do this.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I agree JA should play point. I just think he has gotten just about the minutes for which he has been ready. Lots of people exaggerate Gibbs' negatives (Bench Gibbs) and ignore JA's mistakes.
If JA had replaced Gibbs earlier in the year, we would be minus 2 or 3 wins. Lately. with one reasonable exception, Adams has been in at crunch time.

Reaction Score
I just wonder how much is on Gibbs and how much is on the coaching staff for not doing their homework and understanding what type of player they were recruiting last offseason. It is clear he is not a lead guard, but they forced him into that role and continue to do so well into late February. He also has shown he absolutely can not create his own shot but there seems to be very few plays where he comes off a screen or staggered screen. He is a catch and pop shooter who is being asked to do everything else. As much as I am disappointed he has not been as good as advertised consistently much of the criticism needs to fall on the coaching staff who continue to incorrectly utilize him.

Lack of depth at PG seems default to his responsibility when the coaching staff is the one assembling the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom