Ben Dukes a Husky | The Boneyard

Ben Dukes a Husky

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
There were a number of other recruit tweets including a kid hailing from Middletown CT (Dionne). Is there something special about Dukes? The way it was titled "Ben Dukes a Husky", I didn't know if that implied he was an important recruit and maybe we should know his name.
Regardless, I'm glad to see some Twitter activity for UConn soccer. It's been quiet for a while.

Reaction Score
FV8fyrwUUAA84wQ.jpg

Reaction Score
I love how the college soccer sycophants laud it as if it is still a viable development platform for American players while most of the players are getting recruited internationally.

If they don’t reform college soccer then schools should just save some money and make them club programs like Rugby.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love how the college soccer sycophants laud it as if it is still a viable development platform for American players while most of the players are getting recruited internationally.

If they don’t reform college soccer then schools should just save some money and make them club programs like Rugby.
My buddy's buddy's kid had a full boat to an AAC school. Turned it down to join a MLS acadamy. Worked for him, he's still getting paid.

Reaction Score
My buddy's buddy's kid had a full boat to an AAC school. Turned it down to join a MLS acadamy. Worked for him, he's still getting paid.
My son's trainer played at a Big East school then played for a few lower level clubs in Europe. He shared with me that playing in college was a complete waste of four years that he could have spent getting better, getting paid, and getting noticed. My daughter's trainer that we've stayed close with played lower level D1 and played for a few decent teams in northern Europe. He's now coaching at a college level and was an agent for a few years. He didn't regret playing in college, but agreed that if you are good enough and know you want to play pro, you shouldn't play in college.

Reaction Score
A quick search shows NCAA D1 Men's soccer is allowed 9.9 scholarships; doesn't college soccer do partial scholarships like baseball? Or do some guys get full rides, others get partials, and the rest nothing at all?

Reaction Score
A quick search shows NCAA D1 Men's soccer is allowed 9.9 scholarships; doesn't college soccer do partial scholarships like baseball? Or do some guys get full rides, others get partials, and the rest nothing at all?

Yes, college soccer does partial scholarships like baseball does.

Reaction Score
My son's trainer played at a Big East school then played for a few lower level clubs in Europe. He shared with me that playing in college was a complete waste of four years that he could have spent getting better, getting paid, and getting noticed. My daughter's trainer that we've stayed close with played lower level D1 and played for a few decent teams in northern Europe. He's now coaching at a college level and was an agent for a few years. He didn't regret playing in college, but agreed that if you are good enough and know you want to play pro, you shouldn't play in college.

Mia Hamm and Kristine Lily might offer a different opinion, but it’s different on the Women’s side.

Reaction Score
As with anything, you better really know how good you are when making these decisions. If someone gave my kid a free ride for sports, turning it down would be a gamble. Even joining and MLS Academy team means relatively little about your pro future. I know of players that age from MLS academies who went to college D1 and ended up sitting the bench as the worst kids on the team.

Reaction Score
As with anything, you better really know how good you are when making these decisions. If someone gave my kid a free ride for sports, turning it down would be a gamble. Even joining and MLS Academy team means relatively little about your pro future. I know of players that age from MLS academies who went to college D1 and ended up sitting the bench as the worst kids on the team.

That’s besides the point.

If you sign a pro contract instead of going to college then you are a professional by definition. The opportunities now abound Americans. That leaves college soccer as a really watered down developmental dead end.

As pro opportunities for women grow the same thing will occur in Women’s college soccer.

Reaction Score
That’s besides the point.

If you sign a pro contract instead of going to college then you are a professional by definition. The opportunities now abound Americans. That leaves college soccer as a really watered down developmental dead end.

As pro opportunities for women grow the same thing will occur in Women’s college soccer.
Going pro to play for a club is great. I was referring to the MLS academies

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Some kids enjoy the college experience.
I've coached a few kids who could have skipped college and gone to Europe to play for the academies of the pro teams but they took the college route.
Not everyone who goes the academy route is insured a career and the earnings are minimal for a majority of players.
The MLS is full of college athletes who are earning some nice money
It's all up to the athlete on which route to take. There are plusses and negatives about both paths

Reaction Score
Going pro to play for a club is great. I was referring to the MLS academies

But people don’t go to Academies instead of college. They turn pro instead of going to college.

Reaction Score
Some kids enjoy the college experience.
I've coached a few kids who could have skipped college and gone to Europe to play for the academies of the pro teams but they took the college route.
Not everyone who goes the academy route is insured a career and the earnings are minimal for a majority of players.
The MLS is full of college athletes who are earning some nice money
It's all up to the athlete on which route to take. There are plusses and negatives about both paths

Full? Not so fast. Most Super draftees don’t even make the roster these days.

It’s basically over for college soccer.

Reaction Score
But people don’t go to Academies instead of college. They turn pro instead of going to college.
?????????

I was responding to the post about joining an MLS academy instead of a full scholarship to D1

Reaction Score
?????????

I was responding to the post about joining an MLS academy instead of a full scholarship to D1

By the time you are ready to go to college you are too old for an Academy. You either turn pro or go to college. The best players turn pro, hence the dearth of talent in the college ranks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
?????????

By the time you are ready to go to college you are too old for an Academy. You either turn pro or go to college. The best players turn pro, hence the dearth of talent in the college ranks.
Sorry if I got this discussion wrapped around the axel with my use of "academy". The guy I'm talking about must have "went pro". He signed right out of high school and played out on loan in the USL.

Reaction Score
I don't know the total number yet but I think there are 13 newcomers to the program which is a bit larger than normal. It could be that some holdovers have transferred (IDK). Probably won't get the current roster -up now- accurately, until it is adjusted.

Reaction Score
I don't know the total number yet but I think there are 13 newcomers to the program which is a bit larger than normal. It could be that some holdovers have transferred (IDK). Probably won't get the current roster -up now- accurately, until it is adjusted.

The current men's soccer roster on the UConn Athletics website currently does not list any freshmen. It is probably a left over from the spring practice season. It seems to happen the same way every season at this time of year, so hopefully pretty soon we will see something that is up to date later this month.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom