Before setting up the next Score Prediction thread, an update and ? | The Boneyard

Before setting up the next Score Prediction thread, an update and ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some have shown an interest in keeping tabs on the winners of every game so we can crown a few top predictors for the season after the final game. Am willing to pitch in on this but will need some help.

If memory serves, I did not put a score prediction thread up until the second game (Baylor), after noticing that no one had initiated the traditional thread. I'll be glad to research the first five SPT's that were posted this year, from Baylor thru DePaul, and post findings in this thread.....if a few others are interested enuf in this to review some of the other threads and post the findings on here.

To spread the recognition (glory) abound a bit, I like to announce the Margin of Victory winners plus a few who came close but who didn't actually win.....using actual game score as tie-breaker if needed.

One other question, given all the thoughts about other ways to determine a winner: isn't it true that most of
the Las Vegas bets focus on MOV? Am not a gambler, other than some fun 25 cent bets, but margin of victory is what I seem to remember seeing from Vegas.....essentially same as point spread?

Reaction Score
Going forward, I'd be happy to go through the game submissions, put them on a spreadsheet, sort and post as closed when game begins, and post "winner(s) at game end. Would like clarification of "winner" rules - for ECU game, I used this criteria - did you pick the winning team, who was closest to actual MOV, and as final tie breaker, who was closest to winner's actual score. Throw back your thoughts and suggestions and I'll work them through.

As an aside, if anyone can provide (detailed) instructions to an old pre-computer geezer on how to post spreadsheet output so the column format is retained, my lists would be easier for you all to read and question

Reaction Score
Some have shown an interest in keeping tabs on the winners of every game so we can crown a few top predictors for the season after the final game. Am willing to pitch in on this but will need some help.

If memory serves, I did not put a score prediction thread up until the second game (Baylor), after noticing that no one had initiated the traditional thread. I'll be glad to research the first five SPT's that were posted this year, from Baylor thru DePaul, and post findings in this thread.....if a few others are interested enuf in this to review some of the other threads and post the findings on here.

To spread the recognition (glory) abound a bit, I like to announce the Margin of Victory winners plus a few who came close but who didn't actually win.....using actual game score as tie-breaker if needed.

One other question, given all the thoughts about other ways to determine a winner: isn't it true that most of
the Las Vegas bets focus on MOV? Am not a gambler, other than some fun 25 cent bets, but margin of victory is what I seem to remember seeing from Vegas.....essentially same as point spread?

I'll look at threads from that point in and test my skills at posting to be ready to go forward. Maybe communicate with you via email to coordinate what you want etc.

Reaction Score
As an aside, if anyone can provide (detailed) instructions to an old pre-computer geezer on how to post spreadsheet output so the column format is retained, my lists would be easier for you all to read and question
Phil actually imbedded a spreadsheet in a post the other day. ??

What has worked for me is painting the relevant portion of the spreadsheet, copy, and save as a .pdf. Then paste the .pdf into the post.

Reaction Score

What has worked for me is painting the relevant portion of the spreadsheet, copy, and save as a .pdf. Then paste the .pdf into the post.
Thanks - will give that a try

Reaction Score
Going forward, I'd be happy to go through the game submissions, put them on a spreadsheet, sort and post as closed when game begins, and post "winner(s) at game end. Would like clarification of "winner" rules - for ECU game, I used this criteria - did you pick the winning team, who was closest to actual MOV, and as final tie breaker, who was closest to winner's actual score. Throw back your thoughts and suggestions and I'll work them through.

HOOPS: sounds exactly as intended when this thread was introduced back at Baylor.....go to it, and hopefully someone will help out with the speadsheet technicals.....

Reaction Score
I'll look at threads from that point in and test my skills at posting to be ready to go forward. Maybe communicate with you via email to coordinate what you want etc.

HOOPS: this one sounds right on target at well. Send private mail on here if you wish, and I'll respond with email

Reaction Score

j66: not that I understand more than a couple of words of this tech talk, but I know you a bit and know you to be solid and helpful, and I'm sure this will be helpful to someone as advanced as HOOPS....and , thereby, to the rest of us, no matter how few, who seem to have some interest in seeing the winners of an entire season of predictions. I know we have a bunch of competitors on this board.

Reaction Score

j66: not that I understand more than a couple of words of this tech talk, but I know you a bit and know you to be solid and helpful, and I'm sure this will be helpful to someone as advanced as HOOPS....and , thereby, to the rest of us, no matter how few, who seem to have some interest in seeing the winners of an entire season of predictions. I know we have a bunch of competitors on this board.

Reaction Score
On the BAYLOR competition, looks to me like the top three closest to the Margin of Victory were BROADWAY VA, COCO HUSKY, AND RAYVIN.

Reaction Score
On the LSU competition: looks to me like the top predictors of MOV were: ALEX on top, followed very closely byROCKY MT BLUE, then SUE, then HUSKY, then HARDHATGUY, with HUSKYNUT on their heels.
Next up was DAYTON: I get FRODO nailing the exact MOV, with KAIZEN , TONY C, and NEW CORN just two points off, with ROCKY MT nipping at their heels. Feel like I'm missing some one or two here....in fact, would welcome corrections on ANY of these findings!!
THen came CHATTANOOGA, where I see: SUE and RAYVIN closest to the MOV at only one off (no one nailed it) (feel sure there is some else who was only jone off.....please add any name)......with TONY C and BUZZ right behind them. A number of others only another point or two off in what was a very wide and difficult to predict MOV of 37
My final and fifth game on which to do these calculations was the DEPAUL game: We were collectively WAY off here, in sharp contrast to the usual truly amazing performance of our prognosticators. Way, way too pessimistic, ass the actual MOV was 45, and our closest prediction was y ZORRO at 29! KAIZEN was next but used the Massey ratings, so I have to put an asterisk by his performance on DePaul. BMONEY came next from what I can see; and tied for next in line were FAIRVIEW, RAYVIN and MDAKOTA. That's it for me on this, but I think some others will be posting outcomes for other games here so we can begin to track the competition to determine which prognosticators do the best job over the season as a whole.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Thanks - will give that a try
I wish I could say I did something clever, but the only things worth mentioning is that I put the data in a Google Spreadsheet, then when I copied the url, it embedded the spreadsheet.

Reaction Score
Let's start with an experiment. How about the Miss St vs. UT game just for fun. We already have several.

SONNY: whatever floats your boat...I'd say go for it.

I wish I could say I did something clever, but the only things worth mentioning is that I put the data in a Google Spreadsheet, then when I copied the url, it embedded the spreadsheet.

PHIL: Sounds plenty clever to me....that IS Greek you are speaking, right?:)

Reaction Score
WEST COAST PUP has volunteered to pitch in where needed....getting up scores, winners, whatever works and fits. A fine addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom