Beer | Page 225 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I’ve posted about it a few times before, but there is a plan, at least in concept, to add a concourse around the outside of Gampel, mostly in between the Fieldhouse. I’m quite sure better concessions and better bathrooms are a part of it. It also wouldn’t surprise me if we will be adding seats in the existing concourse.
I'm curious what the concourse plan looks like. Outside the walls of Gampel itself? Gampel was unique when it was built but it's not exactly an architectural success when compared to other historic venues or more modern facilities. I think a better plan would be to build a new, larger state of the art facility. Gampel is too small and limited.

Reaction Score
I hope. It’s time to put money into Gampel.
Can't agree more. The hype coming with the return to the Big East plus improved concessions increase the fan experience exponentially. An overly optimistic fan's wish would be a center-hung Jumbotron in Gampel :) (if the roof can even support it lol)

Reaction Score
Can't agree more. The hype coming with the return to the Big East plus improved concessions increase the fan experience exponentially. An overly optimistic fan's wish would be a center-hung Jumbotron in Gampel :) (if the roof can even support it lol)
I know many are going to disagree and get on me about this but renovating Gampel should be the biggest priority. A top notch arena with the return to the Big East would get new faces to go up and get familiar with the campus. Would probably help attract fans to the other new stadiums/hockey arena and bring in more revenue.

Reaction Score
I know many are going to disagree and get on me about this but renovating Gampel should be the biggest priority. A top notch arena with the return to the Big East would get new faces to go up and get familiar with the campus. Would probably help attract fans to the other new stadiums/hockey arena and bring in more revenue.
I don’t think putting a lot of money into renovations is the best idea. Really need to see what they would do.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
O
I'm curious what the concourse plan looks like. Outside the walls of Gampel itself? Gampel was unique when it was built but it's not exactly an architectural success when compared to other historic venues or more modern facilities. I think a better plan would be to build a new, larger state of the art facility. Gampel is too small and limited.
1612119539302.png

Also the new hockey arena concepts have a lounge area, so this isn't a surprise.
1612119739230.png

Reaction Score
I agree that Gampel is limited in it's architectural design for major improvements/renovations, but I think the ~10,000 capacity is fine (Duke has less). At this point, I think it would be cool to just keep it and build the expanded concessions (and take away some bleachers hopefully)

Reaction Score
I don’t think putting a lot of money into renovations is the best idea. Really need to see what they would do.
I just think you can’t let it get like Hartford. It’s not close to getting there but if they do nothing they will run into issues.

Besides the expansion in the mid 90s the building is almost exactly the same as it was when it opened.

Reaction Score
I just think you can’t let it get like Hartford. It’s not close to getting there but if they do nothing they will run into issues.

Besides the expansion in the mid 90s the building is almost exactly the same as it was when it opened.
What exactly about the arena is better? Not the seating, not the concessions, if they allow beer the restroom situation will be worse. You’re probably right they will try to do something inadequate on the cheap.

CL82

Reaction Score
I agree that Gampel is limited in it's architectural design for major improvements/renovations, but I think the ~10,000 capacity is fine (Duke has less). At this point, I think it would be cool to just keep it and build the expanded concessions (and take away some bleachers hopefully)
I’m pretty sure we should get to 11,000 if they had seats in the existing concourse. That’s a good size for a college arena

Reaction Score
What exactly about the arena is better? Not the seating, not the concessions, if they allow beer the restroom situation will be worse. You’re probably right they will try to do something inadequate on the cheap.
What really needs to happen at Gampel is:

-Hospitality areas/suites for companies, huge donors, and for recruiting vists
-Bigger concourse areas for food/drink/bathrooms
-Chairback the entire arena and add cupholders to each seat
- New scoreboards

However, I don't know if any of those things are possibly given the structure. I don't see them building a newer arena elsewhere given the practice facility is right next door.

Reaction Score

- New scoreboards

However, I don't know if any of those things are possibly given the structure. I don't see them building a newer arena elsewhere given the practice facility is right next door.

Of those 4 ideas, #2 seems most likely given post above about architectural work already completed to do exactly that by expanding building footprint

#3 is certainly possible, but I bet it's lower on their wishlist items, unless they view as opportunity to increase price of those seats so that they match existing chairbacks

#4 I doubt they are even thinking about that for another decade since that was already improved in 2008/2009, but also are probably limited in what they can do given the unique structure of Gampel. They could do what Liberty has done with the Vines Center, which is nearly a clone of Gampel, having the scoreboard moved to the middle of the arena.

#1 is probably the most difficult to pull off due to Gampel's existing layout, especially without reducing capacity when if anything you'd like to see it bump up 11k

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They need to make Gampel more comfortable not less.

CL82

Reaction Score

- New scoreboards

I disagree with the corporate suites. That’s a little out of character with our on campus arena. I largely agree about seatbacks, but sometimes I think they’re counterproductive in the student area, where kids are standing up anyway. The scoreboard upgrade is always nice, but to me it is the lowest priority.

There are no plans, as far as I’m aware, to build a new arena and no money to do so. The renovation of Gampel and the addition of the concourse is in the master plan though. We’d have to see the actual numbers, but it seems like a cost efficient improvement. If we end up with an 11,000+ seat arena with up-to-date bathrooms and food facilities and alcohol service, I feel like it would be one of the nicest on campus arenas in the country.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Here comes the North Goal gang back to the soccer games!!!
The only issue is that most of us are either sober for life or some have unfortunately departed from this earth
I think it may be a money maker for the school but might be opening pandora's box with the younger folks
eh - let em have some fun- make sure they don't drive
I can't remember getting home from many a soccer games in the 70s and 80s

CL82

Reaction Score
Here comes the North Goal gang back to the soccer games!!!
The only issue is that most of us are either sober for life or some have unfortunately departed from this earth
I think it may be a money maker for the school but might be opening pandora's box with the younger folks
eh - let em have some fun- make sure they don't drive
I can't remember getting home from many a soccer games in the 70s and 80s
Never drank at Marrone Stadium but did regularly at Memorial Stadium.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Never drank at Marrone Stadium but did regularly at Memorial Stadium.
My 1st day of classes at UConn, my senior roommate tells me to meet that afternoon to go to the soccer game. I hated soccer at the time but decided that pissing off your roommate on the 1st day of college was not the play. We get to the game and one buddy of his had a keg, the other, a sleeve of red solo cups. Go soccer!

Reaction Score
Depends on what you like. They sell mixed cases that constantly change. They have now added a few four packs. That's important because some of the all IPA/DIPA mixed cases are amazing, but then you get no stouts or brown ales or anything like that. So you can supplement with a 4 pack.

Or if you get a mixed case with multiple kinds of beer, you can grab Julius, Super Treat, Force of Will or Very Green four packs. Damn they have great stuff right now.
Shop Beer Pick-Up! — Tree House Brewing Company
Yeah I hate the mixed case thing that they have been doing since COVID started. Can't wait until they open back up entirely and you can buy how many of whatever you want (within in the mx limits they set, of course).

Reaction Score
With the closure of the old Best Beer thread, I thought I'd start a new one here (where it belongs). Just picked up a four pack from this small local brewer in Massachusetts, but not this beer. Sharing this because I thought @August_West and the other Dylan fans on the board would approve.

View attachment 63819
Cold Harbor is close to my house. They make pretty good beer. Not exceptional like Tree House and Trillium, but better than any of the others within 15 minutes of my house (of which there are like 8 breweries).

Try their Juice Freak. One of their best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom